The Mother of All Demos - Incredible demonstration of a computer from 1968

Editorial The Mother of All Demos - Incredible demonstration of a computer from 1968

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new resource:

The Mother of All Demos - Incredible demonstration of a computer from 1968 - 1968 computer demonstration featuring windows, collaborative work, mouse and video conferencing.

If you were to think about the state of computing in the late 1960's, you'd likely think about punch cards, basic text-only displays and unintuitive button interfaces. However, a conference by Doug Engelbert in December 1968 shows a live demonstration of the "oN-Line System" (NLS), which shows so many features that are comparable to modern day computing. The demonstration included a live video call to collaboratively work on a document, a mouse interface to select text and "hyperlink" to...

Read more about this resource...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That's incredible, Ian. That's 52 years ago !! Love to see the history and development of things. :thumb:

Some PCR members weren't even born then. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I was in complete awe when I saw what was possible in the 60's - that's some real foresight to develop software that can do all of that, before any of the current interfaces or way or working was even conceived. Incredible. Especially the video-conferencing collaborative editing. Incredible!

Reaction score
I bet the people that went to see this were in completely gobsmacked.
Makes me wonder. Bill gates, Did he know about all of this?

Microsoft and this were pretty close. Microsoft was founded on April 4, 1975

Ask a Question