The Great Fire of London

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It is 350 years ago, since the Great Fire of London occurred. For anyone interested in historical events of this kind, there is a piece HERE in The Telegraph, which tells how this particular event unfolded, in the form of a News Timeline.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Great story, TC. :thumb:

And interesting that there were more deaths due to xenophobia than from the fire itself. :)

Also, I wondered why they waited till Sept 4 to begin the commemoration when it actually began on Sept 2 in 1666. Now I see that, way back then , it was a Sunday so it sort of makes sense.

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
And interesting that there were more deaths due to xenophobia than from the fire itself. :)
Yes indeed - although the following could also explain the relatively small number of reported deaths:
Official records say that only six people died in the Great Fire. But there are reasons to be sceptical of this. First, parish rolls did not record many poor people at all, especially those not born in London who had moved there for work. Second, the fire in many places burned hotter than a crematorium – so there wouldn’t even have been any bodies to count.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes indeed - although the following could also explain the relatively small number of reported deaths:

Good point. :)

Although the intense heat may have cremated some of those killed by the xenophobes too. :p

Reaction score
There was a program about the Great Fire Of London the other day. At the time there were conspiracy theories at the time as most of the rich merchants were Dutch and at the time we were at war with the Dutch and many were persecuted, it was a very interesting but eventually was proved to be the Baker's oven

Last edited by a moderator:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a bad thing if history repeated itself. :cool:

Oi, you be careful, or I'll come up there and bash your ferret with a large black pudding.

They say it was one way to purify the area from any vestiges of the previous years' plague.

When I were about twelve I went to the top of The Monument, lots of steps, made me little legs ache.

Ask a Question