The First Time

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by emeless, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. emeless

    emeless Guest

    Just how long has Freeware been around?
    Most folks will remember their first 'love' encounter but what about their
    first Freeware encounter?

    I thought it might be interesting to hear from folks in this group (I've
    been here for many a year under different sigs going back to the days of
    SOS, Bambam, Tiger et al) about their First Freeware Experience as in:
    The Year
    Name of the Program
    Still Use It (what version is it at now)
    Or, What did it evolve to?

    My first freeware experience was with Polyview back in 1994 IIRC.
    I still use it (Version 4.0) but it is no longer freeware. I believe I paid
    $10.00 (USD) for the license and, unlike WinZip, it remains free to update
    forever.
    It has evolved into a sophisticated graphics manipulation program but, as I
    mentioned, is no longer freeware.

    What about you?
    --
    stormy weather

    emeless, Jul 27, 2006

  2. The first freeware was used in ancient calculating machines, that are
    considered the first mechanical computers

    It was freeware because money was given only to make the hardware, the
    software or then primitive program was not thought of as something that has
    value, thus it was free.

    John Jay Smith, Jul 27, 2006

  3. "emeless" <> wrote in message
    > Just how long has Freeware been around?
    > Most folks will remember their first 'love' encounter but what about their
    > first Freeware encounter?
    >
    > I thought it might be interesting to hear from folks in this group (I've
    > been here for many a year under different sigs going back to the days of
    > SOS, Bambam, Tiger et al) about their First Freeware Experience as in:
    > The Year

    1977/78
    > Name of the Program

    emacs
    > Still Use It (what version is it at now)

    how many grains of sand on the beach?
    > Or, What did it evolve to?

    emacs

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

    Terry Russell, Jul 27, 2006
  4. emeless

    John Corliss Guest

    emeless wrote:

    > I thought it might be interesting to hear from folks in this group (I've
    > been here for many a year under different sigs going back to the days of
    > SOS, Bambam, Tiger et al) about their First Freeware Experience as in:
    > The Year
    > Name of the Program
    > Still Use It (what version is it at now)
    > Or, What did it evolve to?

    Probably the first would have been Archie and also Veronica. That would
    have been back around 1992. Most people know how graphical UIs for
    accessing the internet and ftp evolved and replaced them, but if
    anybody's interested:

    http://www.livinginternet.com/w/wi_browse.htm

    --
    Regards from John Corliss. I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett.
    No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, PROmotion, share, spy,

    John Corliss, Jul 27, 2006
  5. emeless

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "emeless" <> wrote in

    > Just how long has Freeware been around?
    > Most folks will remember their first 'love' encounter but what about
    > their first Freeware encounter?
    >
    > I thought it might be interesting to hear from folks in this group (I've
    > been here for many a year under different sigs going back to the days of
    > SOS, Bambam, Tiger et al) about their First Freeware Experience as in:
    > The Year
    > Name of the Program
    > Still Use It (what version is it at now)
    > Or, What did it evolve to?
    >

    > My first freeware experience was with Polyview back in 1994 IIRC.
    > I still use it (Version 4.0) but it is no longer freeware. I believe I
    > paid $10.00 (USD) for the license and, unlike WinZip, it remains free to
    > update forever.
    > It has evolved into a sophisticated graphics manipulation program but,
    > as I mentioned, is no longer freeware.
    >
    > What about you?

    I can't remember that far back. I had an Atari Mega ST (circa 1985) and there was lots of freeware for that. I
    suspect there was stuff around for the Apple II and that's 1977.

    Fuzzy Logic, Jul 27, 2006
  6. There's a lot of youngsters in this grooup. They go back as far as
    1992 and maybe the 80's.!

    Michael Wardreau, Jul 27, 2006
  7. It's has been so long that I can't even remember which freeware app. I
    know that I downloaded my first freeware app during July 1997 (I've
    been on the NET since July 1997).

    Eugene Esterly III, Jul 28, 2006
  8. emeless

    FTR Guest

    Eugene Esterly III wrote:
    > It's has been so long that I can't even remember which freeware app. I
    > know that I downloaded my first freeware app during July 1997 (I've
    > been on the NET since July 1997).

    10 years = long ago ??

    Seems to be an American time calculation

    FTR, Jul 28, 2006
  9. "FTR" <> wrote in message
    > Eugene Esterly III wrote:
    >> It's has been so long that I can't even remember which freeware app. I
    >> know that I downloaded my first freeware app during July 1997 (I've
    >> been on the NET since July 1997).
    >>

    > 10 years = long ago ??
    >
    > Seems to be an American time calculation

    Was it worth 3 billionths of your life expectancy to say that?
    Was it worth 3 billionths of your life expectancy to read this?

    Terry Russell, Jul 28, 2006
  10. 1984, There was lots of freeware programs for my first computer, a
    Sinclair Spectrum. Most them came in written form in british computer
    magazines, so I had to write them into the computer by hand, and it was
    often thousands of lines of code.

    Later we got the freeware on soundcasette tapes, and that time period
    was also the beginning of using copies of commercial programs that
    were made and distributed between friends.

    The most advanced program from those days was a submarine simulation
    program, which was first published in written form in a computer
    magazine, later released as a commercial program on casette. So you
    actually paid for the casette, not for the program, because it was both
    open source and freeware.

    It is like sending for a free linux version on CD today, you pay for
    the medium and the postal service but the software is both open source
    and freeware.

    --
    Roger J.

    Roger Johansson, Jul 28, 2006
  11. emeless

    Anne Carle Guest

    On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:41:38 +0200, FTR <> wrote:

    >Eugene Esterly III wrote:
    >> It's has been so long that I can't even remember which freeware app. I
    >> know that I downloaded my first freeware app during July 1997 (I've
    >> been on the NET since July 1997).
    >>

    >10 years = long ago ??
    >
    >Seems to be an American time calculation

    Considering the way computer technology has grown, ten years is indeed
    a long time! What other technology has had so many radical changes in
    ten years? Not the auto industry, not medicine...probably not any
    industry.

    Anne/OH

    Anne Carle, Jul 29, 2006
  12. Anne Carle wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:41:38 +0200, FTR <> wrote:
    >
    > >Eugene Esterly III wrote:
    > >> It's has been so long that I can't even remember which freeware app. I
    > >> know that I downloaded my first freeware app during July 1997 (I've
    > >> been on the NET since July 1997).
    > >>

    > >10 years = long ago ??
    > >
    > >Seems to be an American time calculation

    > Considering the way computer technology has grown, ten years is indeed
    > a long time! What other technology has had so many radical changes in
    > ten years? Not the auto industry, not medicine...probably not any
    > industry.
    >
    > Anne/OH

    I gotta agree with you there. Computer technology has grown leaps &
    bounds over 10 yrs. I got my first PC in 1996 which was a 486 DX2
    running at 66 MHZ with 8 MB ram (later upgraded to 16 MB) & an HDD (I
    can't how much space it had) & that was sufficent for the time. Most
    software including games used 8 MB or less or Ram.

    My current computer (purchased 2 yrs ago from Best Buy) is a Gateway
    550 GR running at 3.2 GHZ, 512 MB of Ram, 200 GB HDD, DVD recorder,
    CD-Rom drive & 8-in-1 media reader.

    Nowadays, many freeware apps require lots of memory. Look at games,
    most commerical games require 128 MB, 256 MB & even 512 MB or ram to
    run.

    Eugene Esterly III, Jul 29, 2006
  13. emeless

    Ron May Guest

    I don't remember the first freeware program I ever used, but it
    probably would have been a "type in" program for the Commodore 64 in
    1985. More than likely it would have been from Compute's Gazette
    magazine. I got into BBS-ing pretty quick back then with a 300bps
    modem. It would throw text on the screen at teletype speed, so even a
    slow reader could just follow along on a 40x24 character screen. There
    were some free downloads around, but I really started getting into the
    freeware thing a few years later with an Amiga 1000 and a blazing
    2400bps modem!

    --
    Ron M.

    Ron May, Jul 29, 2006
  14. No real memory of what the first program was, but it would have been
    pulled from a DECUS tape, and run either on a PDP-11 or a VAX around 1983.

    First freeware on a peecee - probably Kermit, around about 1984-85.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

    Gary R. Schmidt, Jul 29, 2006
  15. On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 06:55:58 -0400, "emeless" <>
    wrote:

    >Just how long has Freeware been around?
    >Most folks will remember their first 'love' encounter but what about their
    >first Freeware encounter?

    >What about you?

    Not quite an answer to your question but my first experience was
    giving away freeware.

    1972, college, all my programs used large and small cap code.

    College suddenly replaced the one termimal to ALL CAP. <CRAP?>

    I sent messages to others that "it's your's, if you can just delete
    it" (computer was 90 miles away, and affected my space allocation).

    As to what my first freeware download ever was -- I was here in 1999,
    using deja, and tired of it. If would be free agent.

    Dewey Edwards, Jul 29, 2006