The DNS server could not find or open zone file dns

plaindonut

Well, here's my scenario. Yesterday, I edited my foward lookup file. At
the same time, the server ran out of hard drive space showing only 14MB
available on drive C: - I did not figure this out until after some
troubleshooting and a reboot. When I opened the event viewer I noticed
the following in DNS server events:

Event ID: 1004
The DNS server could not find or open zone file
dns\us.mydomain.com.dns. in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Dns directory.
Verify that the zone file is located in this directory and that it
contains valid data.

When I looked at the file, I noticed that is was zero k in size (looks
funny if I type '0k') so I looked in the folder in the same directory
called backup and found a replacement. However, the replacement file
was dated 2002. After doing this, amoung other strange things happening
on the network all MS 2002 standard outlook clients are getting
"outlook is retrieving data from the exchange server" delay messages.

Any ideas?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
[...]

Was the zone AD Integrated at any time? As Adrian said, you may have to
recreate it if it were a Primary zone. Unless you changed the zone to AD
integrated on one of the other DCs, and if the zone existed on all your
DC/DNS servers, then it would automatically be changed to AD INtegrated and
deleted out of the system32\DNS folder.

But it sounds like your issues are deeper if your MAPI clients cannot find
Exchange and will be difficult to diagnose without additional info. Can you
post some more info to better help you out with? Such as...

1. Unedited ipconfig /all of your DCs and one sample workstation please
2. The exact zone name spellng in DNS and whether updates are allowed on the
zone.
3. The AD DNS domain name as it shows up in ADUC.
4. If the SRV records exist under your zone.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...