The death of celluloid.

Reaction score
Has any one else read the news of the demise of celluloid film in the making of films? It seems that after 120 odd years Hollywood is going digital. The high cost of silver is one reason. Another is the cost of each print they have to make for each cinema,runs into millions of dollars. Now all they do is to load the film onto a £150 H/D and send it out,mush cheaper. But it is sad news. I used to take part in amature film making using standard 8mm and super 8 film in cine clubs (does anyone remember them?) And the thrill of waiting for that small roll of ceulloid to drop through the door------happy days.
historian

Reaction score
Some times they even send it out over a secure fast connection ;)

I would think anyway. Just a guess :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All that matters is the the end result and of course the quality of the end result.

In theory digital medium should be superior to it's predecessor. In the case of shooting to celluoid film, I don't know. What I do know is the jury's still out on 35mm vs memory card for photography and CD's/mp3's/FLAC files Vs Vinyl for audio.

It's a close call.

I will say though that making films costs a lot of money and shooting to celluoid reels vs shooting to a digital capture device reveals an almost frightening difference in cost.

We shouldn't always mourn the passing of old technology, generally speaking new technology is better. Having said that, I do have a soft spot for vinyl LP's and steam trains.

Ask a Question