The DataColumn property caption is of no use

Discussion in 'Microsoft C# .NET' started by Tony, Dec 19, 2011.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hello!

    I can't see any use of the property Caption in the DataColumn class because
    you can't change the column title by using that property.
    Here I have a short code snippet where I change the Caption on the third
    added column to Limit but if I look at the
    DataTable its still show the column title as CreditLimit so setting the
    Caption has no effect.

    I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this caption property on
    the DataColum class.

    private void CreateDataTable()
    {
    DataTable table;
    DataColumn column;

    table = new DataTable("Customers");

    //CustomerID column
    column = table.Columns.Add("CustomerID",
    System.Type.GetType("System.Int32"));
    column.Unique = true;

    //CustomerName column
    column = table.Columns.Add("CustomerName",
    System.Type.GetType("System.String"));
    column.Caption = "Name";

    //CreditLimit
    column = table.Columns.Add("CreditLimit",
    System.Type.GetType("System.Double"));
    column.DefaultValue = 0;
    column.Caption = "Limit";

    table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 1, "Jonathan", 23.44 });
    table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 2, "Bill", 56.87 });
    }

    //Tony

    Tony, Dec 19, 2011

  2. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > I can't see any use of the property Caption in the DataColumn class
    > because you can't change the column title by using that property.
    > Here I have a short code snippet where I change the Caption on the third
    > added column to Limit but if I look at the
    > DataTable its still show the column title as CreditLimit so setting the
    > Caption has no effect.
    >
    > I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this caption property on
    > the DataColum class.

    Just a guess, but this property is probably used by other code to set a
    caption when autogenerating a form or report based on the DataTable,
    assuming you want to use something other than the underlying column's name.
    MS Access has had this capability for years. It's PURELY for display. MSDN
    says this:

    You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly name
    for a DataColumn.

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 19, 2011

  3. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Jeff Johnson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I can't see any use of the property Caption in the DataColumn class
    >> because you can't change the column title by using that property.
    >> Here I have a short code snippet where I change the Caption on the third
    >> added column to Limit but if I look at the
    >> DataTable its still show the column title as CreditLimit so setting the
    >> Caption has no effect.
    >>
    >> I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this caption property on
    >> the DataColum class.

    > Just a guess, but this property is probably used by other code to set a
    > caption when autogenerating a form or report based on the DataTable,
    > assuming you want to use something other than the underlying column's
    > name. MS Access has had this capability for years. It's PURELY for
    > display. MSDN says this:
    >
    > You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly name
    > for a DataColumn.

    It has no affect if you use it as the MSDN says like
    You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly name
    for a DataColumn.
    If will has no effect ?
    So this caption is of no use.

    //Tony

    //Tony

    Tony, Dec 19, 2011
  4. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Johnson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I can't see any use of the property Caption in the DataColumn class
    >>> because you can't change the column title by using that property.
    >>> Here I have a short code snippet where I change the Caption on the third
    >>> added column to Limit but if I look at the
    >>> DataTable its still show the column title as CreditLimit so setting the
    >>> Caption has no effect.
    >>>
    >>> I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this caption property
    >>> on the DataColum class.

    >> Just a guess, but this property is probably used by other code to set a
    >> caption when autogenerating a form or report based on the DataTable,
    >> assuming you want to use something other than the underlying column's
    >> name. MS Access has had this capability for years. It's PURELY for
    >> display. MSDN says this:
    >>
    >> You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly
    >> name for a DataColumn.

    > It has no affect if you use it as the MSDN says like
    > You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly name
    > for a DataColumn.
    > If will has no effect ?
    > So this caption is of no use.

    How can I say it clearer? It is of use to OTHER things. If you don't use
    those other things then it's meaningless FOR YOU, but not necessarily for
    other people.

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 19, 2011
  5. Tony

    > "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Johnson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>> "Tony" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just a guess, but this property is probably used by other code to set a
    >>> caption when autogenerating a form or report based on the DataTable,
    >>> assuming you want to use something other than the underlying column's
    >>> name. MS Access has had this capability for years. It's PURELY for
    >>> display. MSDN says this:
    >>>
    >>> You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly
    >>> name for a DataColumn.

    >> It has no affect if you use it as the MSDN says like
    >> You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly
    >> name
    >> for a DataColumn.
    >> If will has no effect ?
    >> So this caption is of no use.

    > How can I say it clearer? It is of use to OTHER things. If you don't use
    > those other things then it's meaningless FOR YOU, but not necessarily for
    > other people.

    What I want to say is that the manual say the following
    "You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly name
    for a DataColumn"
    So this would mean that the header for the column in a DataGridView or
    DataGrid would have the name from the Caption but that is not what would
    happen."

    So the manual about this Caption property is completely wrong no matter what
    you say.

    //Tony

    Tony, Dec 19, 2011
  6. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message

    > What I want to say is that the manual say the following
    > "You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly
    > name for a DataColumn"
    > So this would mean that the header for the column in a DataGridView or
    > DataGrid would have the name from the Caption but that is not what would
    > happen."
    >
    > So the manual about this Caption property is completely wrong no matter
    > what you say.

    Okay, a quick Web search seems to indicate that this property is not used by
    any built-in Microsoft controls. However, its purpose remains the same: it's
    there for you to STORE a string to be used in place of the column name.
    However, it seems like it's UP TO YOU to actually use this name.

    I guess it's like the Tag property. Will you suggest the Tag property is
    useless simply because nothing built-in to the Framework automatically uses
    it?

    Also, I argue that MSDN is RIGHT, but not CLEAR. (Reminds me of the old joke
    about the guy in the balloon....) I says "YOU can use the Caption
    property..." and it really means it: it's there for YOU, and only you,
    apparently.

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 19, 2011
  7. Tony

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/19/2011 3:27 PM, Tony wrote:
    > "Jeff Johnson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jeff Johnson" <> skrev i meddelandet

    >>> It has no affect if you use it as the MSDN says like
    >>> You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly
    >>> name
    >>> for a DataColumn.
    >>> If will has no effect ?
    >>> So this caption is of no use.

    >> How can I say it clearer? It is of use to OTHER things. If you don't
    >> use those other things then it's meaningless FOR YOU, but not
    >> necessarily for other people.

    > What I want to say is that the manual say the following
    > "You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly
    > name for a DataColumn"
    > So this would mean that the header for the column in a DataGridView or
    > DataGrid would have the name from the Caption but that is not what would
    > happen."
    >
    > So the manual about this Caption property is completely wrong no matter
    > what you say.

    Nothing prevents you from writing the TonyGrid class that
    does display that property.

    Maybe there is a JeffGrid that does that.

    The fact that DataGridView and DataGrid does not use it is not the
    same that nothing will ever use it.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 21, 2011
  8. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Arne Vajhøj" <> wrote in message

    > Maybe there is a JeffGrid that does that.

    I've never even considered writing a grid. Lots o' work! However, I did
    write a "canvas" control once. It was basically a stripped-down version of
    the Windows Workflow designer. Quite a bit of work went into displaying the
    boxes that could be placed on the canvas, I can tell you! And the piece I
    was most proud of was the "thumbnail navigator," which you use to quickly
    move to parts of the canvas that aren't visible.

    Writing controls is kind of cool, if you're willing to put in the time. I
    applaud those who do.

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 21, 2011
  9. Tony

    Phil Hunt Guest

    > The fact that DataGridView and DataGrid does not use it is not the
    > same that nothing will ever use it.
    >
    > Arne

    I am no expert with the grid. But if the DataGrid itself does not use it,
    how can it make claim that the field will be used to display as alternate.
    It is just a all-purpose property like a Tag. No ?

    Phil Hunt, Dec 21, 2011
  10. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Phil Hunt" <> wrote in message

    >> The fact that DataGridView and DataGrid does not use it is not the
    >> same that nothing will ever use it.
    >>
    >> Arne
    >>

    > I am no expert with the grid. But if the DataGrid itself does not use it,
    > how can it make claim that the field will be used to display as alternate.
    > It is just a all-purpose property like a Tag. No ?

    The trick is in the wording. The MSDN description never says that anything
    WILL use this property, just that it CAN be used for such a purpose. I agree
    that it SUGGESTS that something will use it, and since Microsoft shouldn't
    be making claims about other people's software, that also SUGGESTS that
    something Microsoft wrote will be the consumer, but that isn't the case.

    My guess: they intended to use it and then scrapped the idea.

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 21, 2011
  11. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Peter Duniho" <> wrote in message
    > On 12/21/11 9:21 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> I am no expert with the grid. But if the DataGrid itself does not use
    >>> it,
    >>> how can it make claim that the field will be used to display as
    >>> alternate.
    >>> It is just a all-purpose property like a Tag. No ?

    >> The trick is in the wording. The MSDN description never says that
    >> anything
    >> WILL use this property, just that it CAN be used for such a purpose.
    >> [...]

    > More to the point of Phil's question: when he writes "if the DataGrid
    > itself does not use it, how can it make claim.", he's falling into the
    > trap of making a bogus assumption about what's claiming what.
    >
    > "It" (which in that statement must be the DataGrid type) does _not_ make
    > any such claim. The documentation describing the Caption property isn't
    > part of DataGrid at all. It's part of the DataColumn type.

    Actually, I think he was being fast and loose with his pronouns. My take:

    "But if the DataGrid itself does not use it [the Caption property of the
    DataColumn], how can it [the DataColumn] make claim that the field [the
    Caption property (not "field")] will be used to display as alternate."

    Isn't English fun?

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 21, 2011
  12. Tony

    Phil Hunt Guest

    > Actually, I think he was being fast and loose with his pronouns. My take:
    >
    > "But if the DataGrid itself does not use it [the Caption property of the
    > DataColumn], how can it [the DataColumn] make claim that the field [the
    > Caption property (not "field")] will be used to display as alternate."
    >
    > Isn't English fun?

    I never read the documentation. But can someone show me a place in the
    framework that uses the property to display the so called 'caption' ? Sure
    you or I can use it to display, I can also use it for something else too.

    Phil Hunt, Dec 21, 2011
  13. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Phil Hunt" <> wrote in message

    >> Actually, I think he was being fast and loose with his pronouns. My take:
    >>
    >> "But if the DataGrid itself does not use it [the Caption property of the
    >> DataColumn], how can it [the DataColumn] make claim that the field [the
    >> Caption property (not "field")] will be used to display as alternate."
    >>
    >> Isn't English fun?

    > I never read the documentation. But can someone show me a place in the
    > framework that uses the property to display the so called 'caption' ? Sure
    > you or I can use it to display, I can also use it for something else too.

    That's what we're saying: there doesn't seem to be any place that the
    framework uses it. But we're also saying that the documentation doesn't
    ACTUALLY SAY that some other part of the framework WILL use this property;
    most people simply INFER that. (I certainly did, but that was mainly due to
    my experience with Access. A more thorough search revealed that this
    property is just...there.)

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 21, 2011
  14. On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:37:43 +0100, "Tony"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >I can't see any use of the property Caption in the DataColumn class because
    >you can't change the column title by using that property.
    >Here I have a short code snippet where I change the Caption on the third
    >added column to Limit but if I look at the
    >DataTable its still show the column title as CreditLimit so setting the
    >Caption has no effect.
    >
    >I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this caption property on
    >the DataColum class.

    OK you're wrong ;)
    >private void CreateDataTable()
    > {
    > DataTable table;
    > DataColumn column;
    >
    > table = new DataTable("Customers");
    >
    > //CustomerID column
    > column = table.Columns.Add("CustomerID",
    > System.Type.GetType("System.Int32"));
    > column.Unique = true;
    >
    > //CustomerName column
    > column = table.Columns.Add("CustomerName",
    > System.Type.GetType("System.String"));
    > column.Caption = "Name";
    >
    > //CreditLimit
    > column = table.Columns.Add("CreditLimit",
    > System.Type.GetType("System.Double"));
    > column.DefaultValue = 0;

    // this line does not set the property as expected
    > column.Caption = "Limit";

    // yet this line does set the property as expected
    table.Columns[2].Caption = "Limit";
    > table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 1, "Jonathan", 23.44 });
    > table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 2, "Bill", 56.87 });
    > }

    Interesting, how the caption is set makes a difference.

    regards
    A.G.

    Registered User, Dec 21, 2011
  15. On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 16:50:39 -0500, Registered User
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:37:43 +0100, "Tony"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello!
    >>
    >>I can't see any use of the property Caption in the DataColumn class because
    >>you can't change the column title by using that property.
    >>Here I have a short code snippet where I change the Caption on the third
    >>added column to Limit but if I look at the
    >>DataTable its still show the column title as CreditLimit so setting the
    >>Caption has no effect.
    >>
    >>I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this caption property on
    >>the DataColum class.
    >>

    >OK you're wrong ;)
    >>private void CreateDataTable()
    >> {
    >> DataTable table;
    >> DataColumn column;
    >>
    >> table = new DataTable("Customers");
    >>
    >> //CustomerID column
    >> column = table.Columns.Add("CustomerID",
    >> System.Type.GetType("System.Int32"));
    >> column.Unique = true;

    column = table.Columns.Add();
    column.ColumnName = "CustomerName";
    column.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String");
    column.Caption = "Name";

    >> //CreditLimit
    >> column = table.Columns.Add("CreditLimit",
    >> System.Type.GetType("System.Double"));
    >> column.DefaultValue = 0;

    > // this line does not set the property as expected
    >> column.Caption = "Limit";

    > // yet this line does set the property as expected
    > table.Columns[2].Caption = "Limit";
    >> table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 1, "Jonathan", 23.44 });
    >> table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 2, "Bill", 56.87 });
    >> }
    >>

    >Interesting, how the caption is set makes a difference.

    I must correct myself. How the column is added to the table appears to
    make the difference. When the CustomerName column is added as shown
    above, the column's Caption property is set to 'Name' just as
    expected.

    regards
    A.G.

    Registered User, Dec 21, 2011
  16. Tony

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/21/2011 10:09 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
    > "Arne Vajhøj"<> wrote in message
    >> Maybe there is a JeffGrid that does that.

    > I've never even considered writing a grid. Lots o' work! However, I did
    > write a "canvas" control once. It was basically a stripped-down version of
    > the Windows Workflow designer. Quite a bit of work went into displaying the
    > boxes that could be placed on the canvas, I can tell you! And the piece I
    > was most proud of was the "thumbnail navigator," which you use to quickly
    > move to parts of the canvas that aren't visible.
    >
    > Writing controls is kind of cool, if you're willing to put in the time. I
    > applaud those who do.

    Writing a heavyweight control is probably a lot of work.

    But it does not even need to be such a thing.

    One could also use it for dumping the DataSet to XML.

    That is not a big task to write code for.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 21, 2011
  17. Tony

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/21/2011 11:22 AM, Phil Hunt wrote:
    >> The fact that DataGridView and DataGrid does not use it is not the
    >> same that nothing will ever use it.

    > I am no expert with the grid. But if the DataGrid itself does not use it,
    > how can it make claim that the field will be used to display as alternate.
    > It is just a all-purpose property like a Tag. No ?

    The docs for DataColumn states:

    "You can use the Caption property to display a descriptive or friendly
    name for a DataColumn."

    "can use" does not imply "will use".

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 21, 2011
  18. Tony

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 12/21/2011 3:49 PM, Phil Hunt wrote:
    >> Actually, I think he was being fast and loose with his pronouns. My take:
    >>
    >> "But if the DataGrid itself does not use it [the Caption property of the
    >> DataColumn], how can it [the DataColumn] make claim that the field [the
    >> Caption property (not "field")] will be used to display as alternate."
    >>
    >> Isn't English fun?

    > I never read the documentation. But can someone show me a place in the
    > framework that uses the property to display the so called 'caption' ? Sure
    > you or I can use it to display, I can also use it for something else too.

    A little search showed that it is used for schema generation.

    Demo:

    using System;
    using System.Data;

    namespace E
    {
    public class Program
    {
    public static void Main(string[] args)
    {
    DataTable dt = new DataTable("T");
    dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("C1", typeof(int)));
    dt.Columns.Add(new DataColumn("C2", typeof(string)));
    dt.WriteXmlSchema(Console.Out);
    dt.Columns["C1"].Caption = "This is C1";
    dt.Columns["C2"].Caption = "This is C2";
    dt.WriteXmlSchema(Console.Out);
    Console.ReadKey();
    }
    }
    }

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 21, 2011
  19. Tony

    Jeff Johnson Guest

    "Registered User" <> wrote in message

    >>>private void CreateDataTable()
    >>> {
    >>> DataTable table;
    >>> DataColumn column;
    >>>
    >>> table = new DataTable("Customers");
    >>>
    >>> //CustomerID column
    >>> column = table.Columns.Add("CustomerID",
    >>> System.Type.GetType("System.Int32"));
    >>> column.Unique = true;
    >>>

    > column = table.Columns.Add();
    > column.ColumnName = "CustomerName";
    > column.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String");
    > column.Caption = "Name";
    >
    >>> //CreditLimit
    >>> column = table.Columns.Add("CreditLimit",
    >>> System.Type.GetType("System.Double"));
    >>> column.DefaultValue = 0;

    >> // this line does not set the property as expected
    >>> column.Caption = "Limit";

    >> // yet this line does set the property as expected
    >> table.Columns[2].Caption = "Limit";
    >>> table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 1, "Jonathan", 23.44 });
    >>> table.Rows.Add(new object[] { 2, "Bill", 56.87 });
    >>> }
    >>>

    >>Interesting, how the caption is set makes a difference.
    >>

    > I must correct myself. How the column is added to the table appears to
    > make the difference. When the CustomerName column is added as shown
    > above, the column's Caption property is set to 'Name' just as
    > expected.

    Versus...?

    Jeff Johnson, Dec 22, 2011
  20. On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:22:11 -0500, "Jeff Johnson" <>
    wrote:

    >"Registered User" <> wrote in message

    >> column = table.Columns.Add();
    >> column.ColumnName = "CustomerName";
    >> column.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String");
    >> column.Caption = "Name";

    >>> // this line does not set the property as expected
    >>> // yet this line does set the property as expected
    >>> table.Columns[2].Caption = "Limit";
    >>>>

    >>>Interesting, how the caption is set makes a difference.
    >>>

    >> I must correct myself. How the column is added to the table appears to
    >> make the difference. When the CustomerName column is added as shown
    >> above, the column's Caption property is set to 'Name' just as
    >> expected.

    >Versus...?

    the OP's initial problem where setting the Caption property of the
    DataColumn object returned by DataTable.Add(string, type) did not
    work.

    regards
    A.G.

    Registered User, Dec 22, 2011