the data file archive folders was not closed properly, this file i

Every time I start Outlook, I get the message, "The data file 'Archive
Folders' was not closed properly, this file is being checked for problems."
I choose cancel twice and then it goes away. It is an annoyance.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

it means outlook didn't close properly and it's checking the file for
consistency and repairing problems. Do you use a pda or something that is
accessing outlook data.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

I have a pocket PC. I also ran scanpst.exe on all archive files, and my
outlook.pst file to no avail. I have had a PDA for years & recently pocket
pc and never had this problem. Seems like my Outllook 2002 has been acting
strangely since the last MS security update. Isn't it always the way after a
service pack or patch??

scotschwallenberg said:
Every time I start Outlook, I get the message, "The data file 'Archive
Folders' was not closed properly, this file is being checked for
problems."
I choose cancel twice and then it goes away. It is an annoyance.

Also, why would the pocket pc want to access an archive file(s) all of a
sudden?

scotschwallenberg said:
Every time I start Outlook, I get the message, "The data file 'Archive
Folders' was not closed properly, this file is being checked for
problems."
I choose cancel twice and then it goes away. It is an annoyance.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Is the archive file in if the profile? The PPC accesses outlook's default
pst, but all psts in the profile may be affected if outlook doesn't close
correctly. If you don't uncradle the PPC, ActiveSync keeps outlook open,
which causes the problem. The archive pst may be larger so you see the
notification for it, or it's done first (or last) and outlook doesn't update
the dialog.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Diane Poremsky said:
it means outlook didn't close properly and it's checking the file for
consistency and repairing problems. Do you use a pda or something that is
accessing outlook data.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

in
message news:[email protected]...
Every time I start Outlook, I get the message, "The data file 'Archive
Folders' was not closed properly, this file is being checked for
problems."
I choose cancel twice and then it goes away. It is an annoyance.

It still does it when the PPC is not connected, so I don't think it is an
interaction there. What do you think?

Diane Poremsky said:
it means outlook didn't close properly and it's checking the file for
consistency and repairing problems. Do you use a pda or something that is
accessing outlook data.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

in
message Every time I start Outlook, I get the message, "The data file 'Archive
Folders' was not closed properly, this file is being checked for
problems."
I choose cancel twice and then it goes away. It is an annoyance.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Start outlook, cradle the PPC, remove the PPC then close Outlook. Does it
still check the archive pst? If so, then it's something else.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

:

it means outlook didn't close properly and it's checking the file for
consistency and repairing problems. Do you use a pda or something that
is
accessing outlook data.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"scotschwallenberg" <[email protected]>
wrote
in
message Every time I start Outlook, I get the message, "The data file
'Archive
Folders' was not closed properly, this file is being checked for
problems."
I choose cancel twice and then it goes away. It is an annoyance.

It still checks after PPC is removed from cradle.

Diane Poremsky said:
Is the archive file in if the profile? The PPC accesses outlook's default
pst, but all psts in the profile may be affected if outlook doesn't close
correctly. If you don't uncradle the PPC, ActiveSync keeps outlook open,
which causes the problem. The archive pst may be larger so you see the
notification for it, or it's done first (or last) and outlook doesn't
update
the dialog.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

in
message Also, why would the pocket pc want to access an archive file(s) all of
sudden?

:

it means outlook didn't close properly and it's checking the file for
consistency and repairing problems. Do you use a pda or something that
is
accessing outlook data.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"scotschwallenberg" <[email protected]>
wrote
in
message Every time I start Outlook, I get the message, "The data file
'Archive
Folders' was not closed properly, this file is being checked for
problems."
I choose cancel twice and then it goes away. It is an annoyance.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

What happens if you allow it to complete the checking rather than cancel?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, scotschwallenberg asked:

| It still checks after PPC is removed from cradle.
|
| "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
|
|| Start outlook, cradle the PPC, remove the PPC then close Outlook.
|| Does it still check the archive pst? If so, then it's something else.
|| --
|| Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
|| Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
|| Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
|| Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide)
||| is an interaction there. What do you think?

Once I let it check everything, Outlook will open normally. Also, it will
not only check Archive folders, but will check the personal folders too.
Archive folder checking happens each time. The personal folders will only
happen periodically. I have run scanpst.exe on all the folders to no avail.
This is more of an annoyance than an encumberance to using the program. It
is a delay that I would like to avoid. Thanks for your time regarding this
matter.

Milly Staples said:
What happens if you allow it to complete the checking rather than cancel?

--Â