the connection with server was reset

I have been having diffuculty downloading larger files
from the internet without timing out (so to speak). I am
currently a cable modem subscriber through Comcast.

The problem is when downloading large files, downloading
commences at normal speed then stops after approximately
30-60 seonds. I sometimes get an error message of: "the
connection with server was reset". talking to Comcast's
technical support, and subsequently making a couple
checks under tools, Internet opitions (e.g. delete
temporary internet files), etc. Comcast Tech Support
reccommend before they send a technician out to repair
the problem and if the problem is computer related
(DELL, Micorosoft, etc.)I will be billed. Conversely, if
it is not computer related, then they would repair and
pick up the repair costs. Although this seems fair
enough, I would rather see if anyone here has an answer.
Comcast's technical support recommended that I reinstall
SP1 for IE-6, as this may be the problem. Before I do
this, does/has anyone know or heard of this problem and
provide a solution rather than removing IE-6 and
reinstalling?

ps. when clicking help>About Internet Explorer...The
Update version is called SP1
(Version:6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920). However, when
I go into add/remove programs under the control
panel...There is no Internet explorer nor SP! listed.

Thanks in advance,
Mase

H Leboeuf

From a previous post.
If still no joy are you using a modem or DSL?

From: "KenV"
Subject: Re: Download size limitation?

When I try to download certain Microsoft XP updates, such as .NET
framework, which are large files, the download stops at 4 MB each time.
I don't know if this is a problem with IE, Microsoft's server, or my ISP
(on a DSL). Is it a temp directory limitation? Is there something I should
tweak in the registry? I have a 40 GB hard drive which is about 1/3 full, so
that isn't the problem..

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Ken

REPLY:

Then on another group someone said to decrease the value for the receive
window (RWin) setting (on a DSL tweaker) to half of what it was, and that
worked immediately. Something about with a too high RWin setting the server
thinks you are disconnected and stops sending the file. Anyway, it worked.
Unquote

I don't see an answer to my question here

If still no joy are you using a modem or DSL?