The Concert

Reaction score
"When the house lights dimmed and the concert was about to begin, the mother returned to her seat and discovered that the child was missing. Suddenly, the curtains parted and spotlights focused on the impressive Steinway on the stage. In horror, the mother saw her little boy sitting at the keyboard innocently picking out “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.” At that moment, the great piano master made his entrance, quickly moved to the piano and whispered in the boy’s ear, “Don’t quit.” “Keep Playing.” Then, leaning over, Paderewski reached down with his left hand and began filling in the bass part. Soon his right arm reached around to the other side of the child, and he added a running obbligato.Together, the old master and the young novice transformed what could have been a frightening situation into a wonderfully creative experience. The audience was so mesmerized that they couldn’t recall what else the great master played. Only the classic, “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.”

Perhaps that’s the way it is with God. What we can accomplish on our own is hardly noteworthy. We try our best, but the results aren’t always graceful flowing music. However, with the hand of the Master, our life’s work can truly be beautiful.

The next time you set out to accomplish great feats, listen carefully. You may hear the voice of the Master, whispering in your ear, “Don’t quit. Keep playing.

May you feel His arms around you and know that His hands are there, helping you turn your feeble attempts into true masterpieces.

Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire.

And remember….”Don’t quit. Keep playing.”"

Anon.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Are you the one who knocks on my door some Sunday mornings?

The one who waves a book at me and who I then advise to go forth and multiply?

As nice as the sentiments are, religion is a subject we don't really like to embrace here as it can lead to conflicts, much the same as politics, so kindly bear that in mind in the future.

Thank you :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Are you the one who knocks on my door some Sunday mornings?

The one who waves a book at me and who I then advise to go forth and multiply?

No I am most certainly not! I consider myself to be a moderate Christian and people like that give us a bad name. They deserve nothing but contempt as far as I am concerned. :mad:

floppybootstomp said:
As nice as the sentiments are, religion is a subject we don't really like to embrace here as it can lead to conflicts, much the same as politics, so kindly bear that in mind in the future.?

I just thought the piece was a nice sentimental story with a moral to it, nothing more. In fact, both my nieces thought it was nice and they are atheists. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, agreed, maybe it's me who's being over sensitive.

It's just that when anybody who holds up any religion as as is I see red, a little, cos it conflicts with my beliefs.

And will probably conflict with about 5 other different beliefs, so that's why I'm wary.

And FWIW, I'm agnostic, so not quite a complete heathen ;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Have to say that I quite liked it right up untill the last 'twinkle twinkle little star. Cute story, nice moral, made me smile... The stuff following it... sorry, but if you just wanted to lift people up & convey a moral there really wasn't any need to include it. From then on it isn't a moral, it is interpretive preaching & I'm afraid it rubbed me the wrong way also.
If you read the rules & regs it does say to avoid religion, the people here come from an extreemly diverse & often contradictory, group of religious & political belief systems and yet accept each other & often love each other,with a freedom that is quite unique of all the forums Ive ever been on. That in itself is something to treasure & as far as morals go certainly says something about what our world is capable of if it cares enough to 'leave it at the door' & just accept each other on face value.
You seem a nice enough person
leave it at that ;)

Reaction score
cirianz said:
Have to say that I quite liked it right up untill the last 'twinkle twinkle little star. Cute story, nice moral, made me smile... The stuff following it... sorry, but if you just wanted to lift people up & convey a moral there really wasn't any need to include it. From then on it isn't a moral, it is interpretive preaching & I'm afraid it rubbed me the wrong way also.
If you read the rules & regs it does say to avoid religion, the people here come from an extreemly diverse & often contradictory, group of religious & political belief systems and yet accept each other & often love each other,with a freedom that is quite unique of all the forums Ive ever been on. That in itself is something to treasure & as far as morals go certainly says something about what our world is capable of if it cares enough to 'leave it at the door' & just accept each other on face value.
You seem a nice enough person
leave it at that ;)

Point Taken I will try and remember next time. :)

Ask a Question