Text editor with capitals, bold and italics only

Sundog

Hello esteemed gurus :)

I have a writer friend who is using MS Word and who only needs capitals,
bold and italics. Because of the huge bloat, he has problems saving his
files on diskettes.

Saving as text files would lose the bold and italics. I have a couple of
text editors that do much more than this but it increases the size of the
file.

Anyone know of an editor that can do capitals, bold and italics and as
little as possible beyond that?

TIA

Sd

Son Of Spy

Sundog said:
Hello esteemed gurus :)

I have a writer friend who is using MS Word and who only needs capitals,
bold and italics. Because of the huge bloat, he has problems saving his
files on diskettes.

Saving as text files would lose the bold and italics. I have a couple of
text editors that do much more than this but it increases the size of the
file.

Anyone know of an editor that can do capitals, bold and italics and as
little as possible beyond that?

TIA

Sd
Wordpad. Save as rich text.

Christmas Cheers!

Son Of Spy

--

Read the latest in the Scumsucking SPCA saga HERE:
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/SPCAScum.html

http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/index.html
. --- . . - - - - - - - - - - - -
/ SOS \ __ / Freeware - - - - - -
/ / \ ( ) / - - - - -
/ / / / / / / \/ \ - - - -
/ / / / / / / : : - - -
/ / / / / ' ' - -
/ / //..\\
=====UU==UU=====
'///||\\\'
' '' '

Tanner

Essentially, you need an RTF editor. Windows Wordpad is about as simple as
you are going to get. Cryptedit or any other of the numerous RTF-compatible
freeware wp programs mentioned here will do as well.

-M-

Steven Burn

Wrong the OP is looking for an RTF-editor or wordprocessor and a
programmer's editor.

A good one is Atlantis Nova:
http://www.rssol.com/en/

Yusuf ben Jones

hehe woops...... ah well, I can't be right all the time (some of it would be
good though, lol).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Yusuf ben Jones

Wrong the OP is looking for an RTF-editor or wordprocessor and a
programmer's editor.

Oops, should be "...and NOT a programmer's editor".

Yusuf ben Jones

omega

Steven Burn said:
Yusuf ben Jones said:
araneae
http://www.araneae.com/download.html

Wrong the OP is looking for an RTF-editor or wordprocessor and [not] a
programmer's editor.

hehe woops...... ah well, I can't be right all the time (some of it would be
good though, lol).

I was right in the middle of a project that involved looking over syntax
editors, and installing some new ones, when your post arrived. Araneae had
been one I missed. I happily ran over and got it. So, while you might have
missed the OP's request - you were right in tune with mine.

Question is, how'd you know? Is it time to put our tinfoil hats back on?

omega

Steven Burn said:
Yusuf ben Jones said:
Steven Burn said:

[...]

</snip>

hehe, nah, I was obviously just thinking about you when I posted ;o)

Now..... where'd I put that strawberry's n cream <vbg>

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Lawson Q. LaCroix

omega said:
I was right in the middle of a project that involved looking over syntax
editors, and installing some new ones, when your post arrived. Araneae had
been one I missed. I happily ran over and got it. So, while you might have
missed the OP's request - you were right in tune with mine.

Araneae appears to be abandonware though. Also: it adds 182 new
registry keys. Have you had a look at this one:

http://www.pspad.com/index_en.html

I have never found a perfect freeware alternative though for a
certain $war€ editor, which shall remain unmentioned here.

L.Q.L.

REMbranded

Lawson Q. LaCroix <[email protected]> wrote:
Araneae appears to be abandonware though. Also: it adds 182 new
registry keys. Have you had a look at this one:

I have never found a perfect freeware alternative though for a
certain $war€ editor, which shall remain unmentioned here.

What features are you looking for?

CryptEdit is my WordPad replacement and EditPad Classic is my Notepad
replacement. These are a good pair.

Here are the stats for many editors:

http://www.woundedmoon.org/PL/text1rev02.php

John H.

Sundog:
You wrote on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:07:56 GMT:

S> I have a writer friend who is using MS Word and who only needs capitals,
S> bold and italics. Because of the huge bloat, he has problems saving his
S> files on diskettes.

S> Saving as text files would lose the bold and italics. I have a couple of
S> text editors that do much more than this but it increases the size of
S> the file.

S> Anyone know of an editor that can do capitals, bold and italics and as
S> little as possible beyond that?

S> TIA

S> Sd

Captials, bold, Italics, bullets, and spellcheck, how about that? Cetus
Wordpad. It's on my site (in the sig line).

John H.. E-mail: (e-mail address removed) Website: John's Best of Freeware:
http://home.wi.rr.com/johnhood/freeware/

Sundog

Tanner said:
Essentially, you need an RTF editor. Windows Wordpad is about as simple as
you are going to get. Cryptedit or any other of the numerous RTF-compatible
freeware wp programs mentioned here will do as well.

-M-

A belated thanks to all.

Steven - will try that prog.

Wordpad is buggy and so is CryptEdit. I dnloaded PolyEdit and that's much
better
but they, like the others, it has only simple text - no formatting at all -
or bloated rtf and doc.
I had a 1.5 MB .doc file in Word 2000 and it saved in rtf at 1.8 MB.

Thanks any way for your efforts.

Sd

omega

Sundog said:
Wordpad is buggy and so is CryptEdit.

I've never seen bugginess in either one. How about telling the story?
I dnloaded PolyEdit and that's much better

If you mention payware, please try to remember to identify it as such.

Otherwise it will be assumed freeware and cause the freeware-seekers here
much wasted time and effort.

This is not a flame, since I forget to do things as often as anyone else.
Main purpose - a followup post clarifying payware status of a ref'd prog
helps when someone forgets.
but they, like the others, it has only simple text - no formatting at all -
or bloated rtf and doc. I had a 1.5 MB .doc file in Word 2000 and it saved
in rtf at 1.8 MB.

REMbranded did some testing a few months ago, comparing saved size of .rtf
files by differing editors. The results he tracked showed significant size
reduction accomplished by Atantis Nova (pricelessware.org).

Sergei Gnezdov

If the issue is the size of the file try to use html file format.

Html format should introduce the least amount of overhead for simple
txt documents in comparison with MS Word or RTF file format.

Word should be able to save in html.

You can find free WYSIWYG html editors like:
- Mozilla Composer (Mozilla email is great :) http://mozilla.org
- Amaya: http://www.w3.org/Amaya/
- Trellian WebPAGE: http://webpage.vendercom.com/
- 1st Page 2000, Version 2.0 Free Edition http://www.evrsoft.com/

The best format to do what he needs is the format defined to enrich
email text messages with things like bold, italic text. Nobody has a
separate application to support the format and there is no extension
for it. I don't mean text/rtf mime format.

Sundog

omega said:
I've never seen bugginess in either one. How about telling the story?

The search engines in WP and CE both suck! They find the first incidence of
a word and then usually no more.
I am often typing in WP and then notice blocks of text missing. If I do pg
up and then pg down it comes back
A few times, I found myself typing (watching the kbd instead of the screen)
and suddenly looked up and saw that the cursor wasn't moving and what I had
typed in the previous couple of mins was not on the screen. The page seemed
locked. I hit save, then closed and reopened it - what I had typed was
there.
When I reach the end of a line the space bar won't move to the next line -
have to hit enter, etc, etc.
No, I don't have an antiquated computer - it's about 1800 MHz, with about
800 MB memory and most of the time it's not stressed..

CE has one fatal flaw IMO. If you have a shortcut to a file that CE is set
to open, every time you click that icon, it will open the file at a new tab.
I was particularly pressed for time the first time I became aware of that
and succeeded in saving an earlier version of the file over a later one and,
of couse, lost the work. Generally, it works a bit better than WP.
If you mention payware, please try to remember to identify it as such.

Otherwise it will be assumed freeware and cause the freeware-seekers here
much wasted time and effort.

If PE is dnloaded, it will run but the printing is disabled. It's much
better generally that WP or CE but I discovered one big bug that drove me
off it. I always save my work every few mins and usually remember to close
files before shutting down my box (win2k pro sp3). The one time I didn't
close PE before shutting down, it lost the lower 80% of the file. Then I
dumped it.
This is not a flame, since I forget to do things as often as anyone else.
Main purpose - a followup post clarifying payware status of a ref'd prog
helps when someone forgets.

Understood! As I said, the freebee is very usable and a pleasure to work
with, but for that bad flaw. I was happy to use it and use the bloated and
much slower Word2000 to print.

Hope that helps.

Sd
REMbranded did some testing a few months ago, comparing saved size of .rtf
files by differing editors. The results he tracked showed significant size
reduction accomplished by Atantis Nova (pricelessware.org).

Thanks Karen - I missed this reply until now.

It could be something to do with the image content of the file, or the
amount of formatting.
The figures I gave were what Windows Explorer on Win2K Pro reported -
possibly not accurate.

Sd