Terminator for 80-wire IDE lead to prevent BIOS problem?

JT

Howdy!

When using a normal cable, you can't use Cable Select anyway ...

Or is your definition of "normal" a bit different from everyone
else's?

RwP

Just for an FYI to the group, all the 80 wire, ATA66 and faster cables
have to be cable select cables. It is part of the spec. Doesn't mean you
can't use the jumpers, just that cable select also has to work, with the
end drive being connecter being master, middle slave.

JT

Conor

There's no reason to justify yourself to that path little person who's sole
purpose is to bitch about other people's choice of browsers.
I take it you've previous experience of them?

J. Clarke

Folkert said:
No, you still haven't made any point.

So, what IS your point?
All you have done is making observations that apparently would have to do
with the point you are trying to make but still haven't made it. Let's
hear your point.

Folkert, just a hint--arguing in the manner in which you are doing here does
not convey information of any kind, it does not shed enlightenment, it does
not create good Karma, it does absolutely nothing except annoy people.

He stated his point clearly and he did make his point and if you want to
claim otherwise that merely makes you look illiterate, not clever.

You seem like a sharp guy in a lot of ways but you seem to have this blind
spot with regard to the manner in which your statements will be percieved,
and it's a shame because this sort of thing makes you look trollish and
gets you killfiled, so people who otherwise could gain the benefit of your
superior technical knowledge will not gain such benefit.

Now, rather than thinking about this, I'm sure that you're going to apply
the "ready, fire, aim" response characteristic of rebels without clues, so
I'm going to tell you in advance to not waste your time.

Franc Zabkar

Strangely on my cable the end one is the master.

They made it idiot proof now. Blue goes to mobo, black is for master
and grey is for slave.

My remarks were addressed to those people who wish to understand *how*
things work and *why* things are done in a certain way. OTOH, there
are those pathethic, plodding, pseudo-technicians such as yourself who
will continue to survive in the industry armed with only rote
knowledge, good colour vision, and a Phillips head screwdriver.

- Franc Zabkar

Folkert Rienstra

I just realized that that coward Clarke troll had set "Followup-To" to
alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt so that any comments would go to waste
there for anyone that is not subscribed to that group (including me).

So here is my response from Monday, April 19, 2004 1:13 AM to the rest of
the newsgroups. (Followup-To now set back to the original set of newsgroups).

J. Clarke said:
Folkert said:
"Franc Zabkar" (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message news:blush:[email protected]
50:07 -0700, "Kent_Diego" <[email protected]> put finger to keyboard
[snip]
This would make the middle connector the master, which,

in a single drive system, would result in the reflections you are
trying to avoid.

Nope, not if you connect it to the end connector.

The point I was making

No, you still haven't made any point.
was that a drive at the end of such a cable would identify itself as the
slave, if it was jumpered for CS mode.

So, what IS your point?
All you have done is making observations that apparently would have to
do with the point you are trying to make but still haven't made it. Let's
hear your point.

Folkert,

Leaky killfile, John?
just a hint--

A hint, from you John?
Aren't you the one that is about to say that giving
hints "does absolutely nothing except annoy people"?
arguing in the manner in which you are doing here does not convey
information of any kind, it does not shed enlightenment, it does not
create good Karma, it does absolutely nothing except annoy people.

He stated his point clearly
Nope.

and he did make his point

Clearly not.
and if you want to claim otherwise that merely makes you look
illiterate,

Funny that *you* of all people should say that, John.
You, who only believes in the "school of hard knocks".
not clever.

No John, that actually makes you look quite stupid. I could have said
look as stupid as Frank except that he hasn't answered yet, so maybe
he got the hint and realized in time that he had no point and bailed out.

It's obvious that you failed to take up on that hint and that you "appear"
to "know" that having a slave as a single drive on a cable is some kind of
a problem. I have to say "appear" as even you avoid "making that point".

And you want to accuse me of trolling? Pot and kettle, John.
You seem like a sharp guy in a lot of ways but you seem to have this blind
spot with regard to the manner in which your statements will be percieved,

Well you may be quite right, especially the folk that write 'perceived'
as 'percieved' and have the same apprehension problems as yourself.
and it's a shame because this sort of thing makes you look trollish
and gets you killfiled, so people who otherwise could gain the benefit
of your superior technical knowledge will not gain such benefit.

Well John, if they don't want to learn, that is *their* choice.
That doesn't bother me at all.
Now, rather than thinking about this, I'm sure that you're going to apply
the "ready, fire, aim" response characteristic of rebels without clues, so
I'm going to tell you in advance to not waste your time.

John, "just a hint"--what makes you think that YOU are of any importance
whether I post a reply or not. Just like you didn't post this message for
my benefit I'll just post it for someone else's.

Folkert Rienstra

Franc Zabkar said:
Strangely on my cable the end one is the master.

They made it idiot proof now. Blue goes to mobo, black is for master
and grey is for slave.

My remarks were addressed to those people who wish to understand
*how* things work and *why* things are done in a certain way.[/QUOTE]
OTOH, there are those pathethic, plodding, pseudo-technicians such as
yourself who will continue to survive in the industry armed with only
rote knowledge, good colour vision, and a Phillips head screwdriver.

Speaking of "rote" knowledge, I think that someone who fails to make his
point but apparently wants us to believe that having a slave as a single dri-
ve on a cable is a bad thing may well find himself to be in that same ballpark.

Rita Ä Berkowitz

Speaking of "rote" knowledge, I think that someone who fails to make his
point but apparently wants us to believe that having a slave as a single dri-
ve on a cable is a bad thing may well find himself to be in that same ballpark.

Of course, none of this infighting over the corncob wouldn't be necessary if
SCSI were used in this situation. No need to worry about Master/Slave with
SCSI. Oh well, some people never learn.

Rita

Franc Zabkar

Speaking of "rote" knowledge, I think that someone who fails to make his
point but apparently wants us to believe that having a slave as a single dri-
ve on a cable is a bad thing may well find himself to be in that same ballpark.

I wrote no such thing, nor did I imply it. Clearly, English is not
your first language. And my point was made several times, with
diagrams for those who feel challenged by the written word.

- Franc Zabkar

Rita Ä Berkowitz

I wrote no such thing, nor did I imply it. Clearly, English is not
your first language. And my point was made several times, with
diagrams for those who feel challenged by the written word.

Franc, please stop feeding the trolls.

Rita

Folkert Rienstra

Franc Zabkar said:
I wrote no such thing,

Exactly, you chickened out when I asked you to explain (make your point)
when you said:

"
The point I was making was that a drive at the end of such a cable
would identify itself as the slave, if it was jumpered for CS mode. "

nor did I imply it.

Ofcourse you did, you failed to respond to
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
so yes, imply is all what you left behind.
Clearly, English is not your first language.

Not making one's point is universal in any language.
And my point was made several times, with diagrams
for those who feel challenged by the written word.

Not in here (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage) you did.
Even someone as challenged as you should have noted that, especially
when I let know that that little creep Clarke had set a Followup-To.

And *no*, you little weasel, you just fled to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
spewing your little tirade and then showing diagrams of how CS
is implemented, something that wasn't at all disputed by me.
You just cowardly avoided to clearup your last statement because
you suddenly realized that you were just a "pathethic, plodding,
pseudo-technician who will continue to survive in the industry
armed with only rote knowledge, good colour vision, and a Phillips
head screwdriver" *yourself* and that is what you fell back at.

The centre of dispute obviously was "reflections" on a "one drive
on a cable situation" where you clearly implied that having a slave
at the end of the cable somehow was to be a problem when first
you noted that making it master would cause reflections and
second, by avoiding that and attaching it at the end would make
it a slave. You don't say that unless you mean something by it.

I gave you an opportunity to explain yourself but you just
cowardly disappeared.

Mr. Grinch

Of course, none of this infighting over the corncob wouldn't be
necessary if SCSI were used in this situation. No need to worry about
Master/Slave with SCSI. Oh well, some people never learn.

Rita

Let's not even attempt to list all the problems with setting unique scsi
device ID's and all the poor attempts to set them automatically. It's not
like IDE drives have a monopoly on poor configuration designs.