Templates, Themes and CSS's - Hav I got this right

A

andreww

Hi - After much confusion I think it works like this... can someone please
confirm/deny??

CSS - Specifies formats within each/all pages in web

Template/Theme (what's the difference?) - Basicaly specify what you want
your web page to look like and be able to use it to set up new pages.
Throuble I have with this is that if I want to change the main
template/theme, do each of the pages that I have already created reflect the
changed template/theme?

Any input is much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

C

Chris Leeds, MVP-FrontPage

Hi Andreww,
I'll put my answers below with your text;

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

If you make web sites for other people, you should check out ContentSeed:
http://contentseed.com/
--
andreww said:
confirm/deny??

Yes, but besides just specifying formatting it'll do a lot more things such as give pages different formatting for print or screen, you can even use it to make elements position the way you want etc. It's very powerful but surprisingly easy to use. see www.csszengarden.com for a pretty impressive set of examples of how dramatic you can change a page by altering just the .css file.

changed template/theme?
Yes, if you change the theme (modify the them also) it'll reflect in all pages that use the theme. You can specify certain elements within the theme using .css though. IMHO I'd take a nice .css arrangement over a theme any day. the only thing a theme (IMO) does that you can't get with .css is the navigation. sometimes it's desirable to make navigation bars using "navigation view" and a theme's buttons, which you can change and modify. What a lot of people don't realize is that you can use the nav bars of a theme without using that theme in it's entirety in your page, so maybe the solution is to use .css for everything you can along with a modified navigation bar if they suit you.

HTH

A

andreww

Chris - That helps hugely!

Many thanks

Andrew
Hi Andreww,

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

--
andreww said:
confirm/deny??

Yes, but besides just specifying formatting it'll do a lot more things such as give pages different formatting for print or screen, you can even use it to make elements position the way you want etc. It's very powerful but surprisingly easy to use. see www.csszengarden.com for a pretty impressive set of examples of how dramatic you can change a page by altering just the .css file.

changed template/theme?
Yes, if you change the theme (modify the them also) it'll reflect in all pages that use the theme. You can specify certain elements within the theme using .css though. IMHO I'd take a nice .css arrangement over a theme any day. the only thing a theme (IMO) does that you can't get with .css is the navigation. sometimes it's desirable to make navigation bars using "navigation view" and a theme's buttons, which you can change and modify. What a lot of people don't realize is that you can use the nav bars of a theme without using that theme in it's entirety in your page, so maybe the solution is to use .css for everything you can along with a modified navigation bar if they suit you.

HTH

C

Chris Leeds, MVP-FrontPage

De nada Andrew,
BTW if you have FrontPage 2003 a nice way might to be using "interactive buttons" on a page with nothing but your interactive button "menu", then use it as a FrontPage include into the banner area on every page you want it on.

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

--

Many thanks

Andrew
Hi Andreww,

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

--
andreww said:
confirm/deny??

changed template/theme?

HTH

A

Andrew

Thanks Chris - I think first I have to make the themes thing work. I have used Xara webstyle to create various menus/navbars/web pages and need to get it all to work togther now.

I have to say, (IMHO) I find Frontpage an incredibly difficult and non intuitive piece of software to use... it has frustrated the hell out of me!

Also, I use FP2002.

Best Regards

Andrew
De nada Andrew,
BTW if you have FrontPage 2003 a nice way might to be using "interactive buttons" on a page with nothing but your interactive button "menu", then use it as a FrontPage include into the banner area on every page you want it on.

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

--

Many thanks

Andrew
Hi Andreww,

--
Chris Leeds,
Microsoft MVP-FrontPage

--
andreww said:
confirm/deny??

changed template/theme?
Yes, if you change the theme (modify the them also) it'll reflect in all pages that use the theme. You can specify certain elements within the theme using .css though. IMHO I'd take a nice .css arrangement over a theme any day. the only thing a theme (IMO) does that you can't get with .css is the navigation. sometimes it's desirable to make navigation bars using "navigation view" and a theme's buttons, which you can change and modify. What a lot of people don't realize is that you can use the nav bars of a theme without using that theme in it's entirety in your page, so maybe the solution is to use ..css for everything you can along with a modified navigation bar if they suit you.

HTH

Ask a Question