Technics Sc-dv290 System

Reaction score
What do you fine people think of this item??....

Attachments

• 110280.jpg
    110280.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,662
Reaction score
Hopefully it will replace a Video logic 5.1 Digitheatre speaker system... then i want to attach the Digitheatre to the PC..in another room..

The above system looks very nice..:) and should fit in well in the front room..but at nearly £500.. i still feel that it lacks certain things perhaps i just need a little push to make me feel better before i commit mysef to buying it

The good points I like about it are :-

X5 DVD Tray... Why you might ask... Arn't DVDs long enough ?.. Yep .. but I just like the idea of being able to have a trilogy in there or somthing .. or isnt it annoying when you have to change the Disc back and forth for the Extra Features.. (Well not that annoying really..lol)

Intergrated Music System with the Home Theatre

Looks Nice.. :)

Points I dislike are :-

There is no DAB Digital Radio Broadcast.. at that price I would have thought that it really really should have... this would have been a cool thing as I dont watch or recieve Broadcast TV.. (Defiently waves two fingers towards broadcasting house, the BBC and the TV licencing office.. :D.. )

The Main speaker covers look awful.. but im sure ill get used to them... infact the covers would most likley go in the cupboard.

I have never heard this thing yet so ill get a demo at some store..

The cheapest i have found it is £412.36 at qed http://www.qed-uk.com/?vp=6&bg=206&bp=290s&bi=0&ird=1405

Questions...
1. Does anyone know if this Item is Region Free?.. If not Does anyone know where i can get a region hack (This is a Perfectly Legal thing to do i think) for this system?. (I have plenty of Region1 DVDs From the USA and Canada it would be awfull if i was unable to play them)

2. I cant seem to find a very good review of it on the net can anyone point me in the right direction for that Ive done the useual search?

3. I wouldnt know a Musical component from a car engine.. could someone tell me if the speakers and Amp and bits and bobs are ok..

Thanks

Reaction score
What you really need is our very own Quad to give you some advice there...! He's the one for this thread, i must say :D

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
What you really need is our very own Quad to give you some advice there...! He's the one for this thread, i must say :D

Yep i Agree... He's Very good with Monitors Too..:).. Ill just wait for his Opinion of this Very Tempting Machine..:D

Tap.. Tap.. Tap.. (Finger Tapping..lol)
Come on Quad... Switch your PC on and Come Online Please..:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry I was very busy today entertaining my audio buddies at home for a long music session in the afternoon.;)

First things first, I never liked the multi tray system hifi as they tend to be extremely unreliable. A single disk machine is always preferable. I have fixed many such multi disc systems in the past and not just midi but high end players costing a grand!

The other problem with the multi-disc systems is that they are terrible readers as they tend to be very slow in their mechanisms. Thre is always the possibility of disks getting stuck. The logic system and the mechanism never are in harmony. After you buy it you would wish you had bought the single tray one instead.

Let me know if you are still not convinced ;)

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Sorry I was very busy today entertaining my audio buddies at home for a long music session in the afternoon.;)

lol.. Cool.. :).. Nice Mellow Music?...

Quad the system is more of a home cinema replacement ... I know what you mean about the multi tray systems... but this seems to be one of the only DVD/Hi-Fi Combos that i can find

There just dosent seem to be any information for it on the web anywhere... just shops trying to sell it

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Spooky Mouse said:
lol.. Cool.. :).. Nice Mellow Music?...

No, mostly classical and jazz :)

Quad the system is more of a home cinema replacement ... I know what you mean about the multi tray systems... but this seems to be one of the only DVD/Hi-Fi Combos that i can find

There just dosent seem to be any information for it on the web anywhere... just shops trying to sell it

Yes I am aware of the fact that you are looking for home theatre replacement, hence my advise still stands. As for not finding good systems, you just need to look harder ;) I remember searching sometime ago and I could find many on the web.

Technics is not really a brand I would go for, rather Sony, Pioneer, Denon and Philips are far better brands, maybe you should look for something from these makers.

Reaction score
Ok Thanks Quad...

Thanks for your advice... I will have another look before i commit myself

from what i can gather on the web Technics seem to be a part of the Panosonic company

Thanks for your super help again quad..:).. i'll have a scout about and if i find anything better i'll let you see what ive found..:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hiya Quad.. Thanks for those links... It was more of a Hi-Fi Seperate Componant Style or Mini system style (which there seem to be plenty of 2.1 systems about)
I was looking for... Somthing that will look good in the front room... To act as a 5.1 DVD player and a super sounding music macine, Finding one with DAB Radio would be nice...
im not to keen on the long slim design of most home cinema systems....

Quad when i was at B&Q getting some things to stop the house falling down (Unibond's "No More Nails").. lol I thought that I would pop into the branch of Currys in the same retail park... I went in and had a look about and while i was there i saw the Technics Dv-209 on display.. so I asked the assistant for a demonstration.. and his reply was this.... "Sorry.. The laser is out.. I have to get a replacement model from stock"
Well it just instantly made me think of this :)
Quadophile said:
First things first, I never liked the multi tray system hifi as they tend to be extremely unreliable.

Come to think of it the Sv-209 in the flesh looked Plasticy.. and like it had just been sprayed with cheap metalic paint.. and a little dated..

I've been looking at some Denon ones so far vey nice style... but nothing that jumps up at me yet..lol

I'll keep you posted if i find something I like... as your opinion will be very much valued... Thanks.. :)

Ask a Question