TCP/IP Network problem in XP

Peter Welk

I can not get my laptop with XP home to run any network automatically.
I have a wireless and a local network running on TCP/IP. I have my
preferences set to automatically obtain IP and DNS server addresses.
With my desktop running XP pro it assigns its own addresses as follows
and runs just fine.

IP Physical Address: 00-07-95-CD-F6-3C
IP Address: 191.164.0.57
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 191.164.0.1
DHCP Server: 191.164.0.1
Lease Obtained: 10/2/2003 11:10:54 PM
Lease Expires: 10/9/2003 11:10:54 PM
DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
WINS Server:

However, If I unplug my desktop and plug the cable into my laptop with
the exact same TCP/IP preferences and network setup I get this
..

IP Physical Address: 00-04-45-12-FC-61
IP Address: 169.254.243.188
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server:
Lease Obtained:
Lease Expires:
DNS Server:
WINS Server:

In the status window under activity I am sending some data but I
receive 0 packets.
This also happens with my wireless network.
What is my problem? Where do I start?

Thanks...Peter

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Check for 3rd party firewalls that might be interfering.

Type "ipconfig /renew" at a command prompt and post the results.

Peter Welk

Ken,
I get the following messages after a ipconfig and ipconfig /renew
command.
The network submask is 255 255 255 0. There are no 3rd party
firewalls.

C:\>ipconfig
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.243.188

C:\>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 3 :
unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Thanks...Peter

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

.

IP Physical Address: 00-04-45-12-FC-61
IP Address: 169.254.243.188
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
DHCP Server:
Lease Obtained:
Lease Expires:
DNS Server:
WINS Server:

In the status window under activity I am sending some data but I
receive 0 packets.
This also happens with my wireless network.
What is my problem? Where do I start?

Thanks...Peter

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

What device are you expecting to provide the IP address? a router? a
modem? an ICS host?

Some devices have a list of approved MAC addresses they will assign
addresses to, or some devices will only assign to one MAC address.

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Peter Welk said:
[...]

Ken, I am on a home network with one machine acting as the server with a
shared DSL connection.

I can get the network to work if I manually put in the IP, submask and DNS
server addresses. I put in the IP address of the server as the default
gateway and DNS server (192.168.0.1) and it works. However it will not
obtain anything automatically and I still can not use the wireless access.

Thanks...Peter

Peter Welk said:
[...]

Hmm, I'm pretty inexperienced with wireless. Perhaps one of the wireless
gurus here has something to add.

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]

Peter Welk said:
[...]

Ken, I dont beleive it is a wireless problem at all. When I manually set up
the tcp/ip properties everything is working now. So the remaining question
is why will windows xp not obtain all the ip, gateway and dns server
addresses automatically? I have 4 other computers which connect to the
network with no problem with the automatic obtaining of these addresses.

Thanks...peter

Ken Wickes said:
[...]

rights.