TCP/IP connection packets

G

I have a strange problem. The system is 2003 Win XP Media center with all patches. One day the system will not opperate on the internet. It will ping to a IP address but when you open Internet Exployer the error 'Page can not be displayed' shows up. No email connection either. This internet connection works fine with another computer, so it is not the connection, and the only solution is to rebuild the full O/S. Also all Norton A/V and Firewall are up to date. When checking the packets received and sent it actually shows a small number sent and 5 or 6 received. I have tryed to uninstall friewall and Win IP connection. Also system restore to a date that worked will not solve the problem. This has happened two times in the space of a month and each time I have only been left with rebuilding the O/S. Any help would be great.

S

Setec

Check your DNS. Can you browse to a URL via IP address?
Can you ping a FQDN?
-----Original Message-----
I have a strange problem. The system is 2003 Win XP Media
center with all patches. One day the system will not
opperate on the internet. It will ping to a IP address
but when you open Internet Exployer the error 'Page can
not be displayed' shows up. No email connection either.
This internet connection works fine with another computer,
so it is not the connection, and the only solution is to
rebuild the full O/S. Also all Norton A/V and Firewall are
up to date. When checking the packets received and sent it
actually shows a small number sent and 5 or 6 received. I
have tryed to uninstall friewall and Win IP connection.
Also system restore to a date that worked will not solve
the problem. This has happened two times in the space of a
month and each time I have only been left with rebuilding
the O/S. Any help would be great.

G

Thanks Setec,
But no I can not browse via an IP address, and I have checked the DNS and that is what is driving me crazy. and yes I can SOMTIMES ping a FQDN. Since this posting I have had three other computers(not in the same area) with the same problem ands Microsoft said that they have heard of this problem recently but have no idea what Virus or Worm is causing it. Their only help is to rebuild the O/S. So if you can think of anything else let me know as this is getting to be a real pain.

Ask a Question