tattoos

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your views?

Anybody here tattooed?

Personally, I don't like them but I will respect anybody who's marked their body permanently.

It struck me when I first spent time in a police station on the wrong side of the law when they asked 'Any distinguishing marks?' Thought right then a tattoo makes you too easy to identify ;)

My Dad had 'em all up both arms, RAF legacy, he always said, given the choice now, he would NOT have had them done, but he said he was under peer pressure.

Seems to me they be more popular than ever right now.

But - what looks cool at age 20 are you still going to feel comfortable with it when you're 50?

Think about it.

Here's a couple of pix I took at my local, one a month ago, one this evening.

Tattoos. I personally don't like 'em. How's about you?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tattoo001.jpg
    tattoo001.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1,567
  • tattoo002.jpg
    tattoo002.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 450

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
A matter of personal preference however I will state that I do not care for them when they cover the person head to toe.

I have a small one but up high on the shoulder to where it is easily covered up by any shirt with sleeves be they short or long.

I think they can look attractive on women when kept small and done tastefully but I agree with you flops that first a foremost a person should think ahead and picture what their art will look like a few decades down the road.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not got one myself, but I've got a mate with one that looks amazing on his arm - really colourful like that 2nd one.

You summed my thoughts up with "what looks cool at age 20 are you still going to feel comfortable with it when you're 50". I don't mind them on other people, I just don't want one myself ;)

Reaction score
It it more like a permanent mark not only on my body but on my mind too.

But I have thought about getting a little one on my arm but not come to a decision on which one to get.
There are too many choices. Probably will not go through with it.

Flopps the pictures you have shown for me are a bit over the top with those tattoes.
What do you all think?

sol

Reaction score
guilty

errm ok ime guilty,i have two of them;)
one in a heart with mum & dad on & one swallow bird with hubbies name on,personally i like them but i agree its personal choice

ime not that far off 50 & i will still love them then
i totally agree with what you say about having identifying marks & the minute people see you have tats they just assume that your some kind of thug even though i have never been in trouble in my life & so i therefor cover them up depending on the situation & where i am but i will always see them as art

some people have piercings which i do not but that again is personal choice

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Haven't got any, wouldn't want any - but no doubt about it, some of the "artworks" we see wandering around, have been very well done by talented artists. The colourful ones often look better than those awful dark-blue jobbies and I suppose the small, discreet ones are not so bad :rolleyes: But I'm with you all - once the "canvas" ages it is not going to be a very pretty sight at all. Also, there are one or two local people whom I would never be able to recognize by their faces..... but their tatoos certainly stand out in my mind:nod: So as Flops points out, they make one very easy to identify.

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
sol said:
errm ok ime guilty,i have two of them;)
one in a heart with mum & dad on & one swallow bird with hubbies name on,personally i like them but i agree its personal choice

ime not that far off 50 & i will still love them then
i totally agree with what you say about having identifying marks & the minute people see you have tats they just assume that your some kind of thug even though i have never been in trouble in my life & so i therefor cover them up depending on the situation & where i am but i will always see them as art

some people have piercings which i do not but that again is personal choice

I agree about the piercings. I'd much sooner sport a tattoo than have a steel peg or hoop shoved through my nose, lip, or private parts.

To me the tattoos pictured are over the top as it becomes way too hard to cover them up if need be.

I'm over 50 and simply have a Celtic winged heart with my wifes name in it that takes no effort at all to hide.

I see far too many individuals these days that have so many tattoos that you can't really even tell what they are anymore as one melds into the next giving an overall look of someone simply falling into an ink vat.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On a personal note, I have absolutely no piercings, no tattoos and no jewellery at all, not even a watch.

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I've never seen the attraction of having five grand hanging off your wrist or neck.

I'd rather have a decent Hi-Fi; Computer; Home entertainment system or decent second hand motor to be honest.

Much more fun.

You see, I've never felt I have to prove myself - accept me as I am or **** off :)

Mind you, I do sport a fair few scars now from three bouts of surgery and a couple of nasty accidents.

So there's my identifying marks eh? :lol:

sol

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
On a personal note, I have absolutely no piercings, no tattoos and no jewellery at all, not even a watch.

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I've never seen the attraction of having five grand hanging off your wrist or neck.

I'd rather have a decent Hi-Fi; Computer; Home entertainment system or decent second hand motor to be honest.

Much more fun.

You see, I've never felt I have to prove myself - accept me as I am or **** off :)

Mind you, I do sport a fair few scars now from three bouts of surgery and a couple of nasty accidents.

So there's my identifying marks eh?
laughingsmiley.gif
totally agree with the jewellery thing,i dont have a watch either & i too have scars from surgery,one from chestbone to pelvic area & a section scar so if i stand on my head at parties we play hangman :lol:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

well wouldn't you know it?

I am almost the same except I don't mind £9.99 hanging off of my wrist
that is how much my watch cost me 6 years ago from Argos.

I try to live a simple life.

To your list I would add thatI would also rather have a better house and a good significant other at some point in my life.

:)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
hmmm... on the first pic... it could have been done better :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
To your list I would add thatI would also rather have a better house and a good significant other at some point in my life.

:)

I do believe the expression I'm looking for here is..... 'Right On' :D

I ain't given up hope yet but I think after the ex took me for everything there's little chance of me ever being a property owner again :(

Still, ya never know - always looking for that elusive business oppurtunity ;)

And as for a partner, well, I dunno, I really dunno..... :D

If it happens it happens, if it don't it don't...

Oh for the days when I just couldn't go wrong, was even a fussy bugger then.... :lol:

Long gone days, long gone....

Such is life, as Ned Kelly famously remarked on stepping on to the gallows' trapdoor :)

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Just like Flopps....I have absolutely no piercings, no tattoos and no jewellery at all, not even a watch.

On the topic of tattoos, I have considered this for a while....maybe having my Rugby Club emblem

ClubLogoBareBones.jpg
......on my chest, or arm.

And I've been mulling over it for about 5 years.

But last year on holiday, I mat a guy who had quite a few tattoos, he was a debt collector, and was built very much like I am...ie quite big!

We kind of hit it off and was showing off his tattoos and all his scars from being hit and attacked during his day job, one scar going all the way up his left arm and involving 216 stitches!

But at the end of the night, he said to me, that he wishes he had never had any tattoos, and was jealous of me having none.
"Once you have one, it never goes away. And you are reminded of it from the second you get up, untill the second your head touches the pillow."

I guess the moral of this waffle is, if you have one, make sure you really want one.....becasue their 'aint no going back once its on!

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Well I've got the dragon going up my arm, designed it myself & got it done 11 years ago now & have to say that I've never ever regretted it (& I'm 40 now) & would quite happily get another if I wanted one.
Will also say that, over the years (When I first got my tattoo done they weren't very common) I've met a lot of very nice & very interesting people through it, as people will often stop & ask me about it (mind you... I once had a doctor ask me if it bled when it was done. I have to say I was far to surprised to even laugh. You'd think a doctor would know what happens when you stick a needle in someone :lol: )
I was worried, before I got it done of course, about what I'd do if I didn't like it. But, as I said, I've never ever regretted it :)
Mind you, I did get it done because I wanted it (since I was 11 years old actually), not because of peer pressure or passing fashion.
As for piercings. Well I've got my eyebrow pierced & again have never regretted it & I've often thought of getting my nose done again (it closed over after I had surgery on my sinuses) but John doesn't really like piercings so I've left it clear.
Things have definitely changed though, when I got my nose done (more than 20 years ago now) It didn't involve much more than a needle & meths to sterilize. When my daughter got hers done last week it was a whole new ball game & although not a pleasant looking process of course, was definitely much cleaner & more professionaly done. She wants to get her lip done as well, but I drew the line at that. I made her wait two years to get her nose done, & she can wait to get her lip done as well. Mind you, she's comming up 15 now. Won't be too much longer before I don't have any say in it anymore :rolleyes:

Oh... & I did like the young woman's tattoo, the guy's one was not really my thing, but I liked hers :nod:

Ask a Question