Taskbar scroll arrows, disable/remove?

Squirrel

Anyone know how to disable/remove Windows XP's taskbar scroll arrows?

The scroll arrows appear once the number of taskbar icons hits a
certain threshold. I prefer the Windows 98/ME/2000 taskbar behavior of
progressively making the task icons smaller and smaller. Under Windows
XP, once the task icons reach a certain size, they will no longer go
smaller and the taskbar goes into scroll arrows mode. This can be
quite annoying when trying to search for a certain taskbar icons - I
now have to scroll back and forth with the taskbar scroll arrows.

I am fully aware of the "group similar icons option".

All I want is the original Windows 98/ME/2000 taskbar behavior, is
this possible?

Thanks, SM

Anando [MS-MVP]

Hi,
You can disable the option through unchecking "Group similar taskbar icons"
(right click on taskbar>Properties) However even if you disable that, there
is a maximum number of buttons that can be accomodated in a row, after which
a new row of buttons would be created and youwould have to scroll down/up
through the arrows. You can use Kelly's edit to further minimize the button
size:

Decrease the size of taskbar buttons (line 97, left column)

Squirrel

Anando said:
... However even if you disable that, there
is a maximum number of buttons that can be accomodated in a row, after which
a new row of buttons would be created and youwould have to scroll down/up
through the arrows. ...

Yes, I was afraid of this. There seems to be no way to disable this
crappy feature. I just hate having to hunt and mess with the scroll
arrows just to find a certain taskbar icon, results in more visual
searching and mouse movement. Definitely less ergonomic - the
Microsoft UI design people should know better.

Thanks for the help, SM

Shenan T. Stanley

Squirrel said:
Yes, I was afraid of this. There seems to be no way to disable this
crappy feature. I just hate having to hunt and mess with the scroll
arrows just to find a certain taskbar icon, results in more visual
searching and mouse movement. Definitely less ergonomic - the
Microsoft UI design people should know better.

Thanks for the help, SM

If you are opening taht many windows, double the size of your taskbar
(number one) and perhaps consider closing some windows.

I open quite a few myself and have just adjusted by doubling the size of my
taskbar (double-height).

Anando [MS-MVP]

Did you use Kelly's Edit ? It should help you out a bit..

--
Anando
Microsoft MVP for Windows XP

Squirrel said:
"Anando [MS-MVP]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
... However even if you disable that, there
is a maximum number of buttons that can be accomodated in a row, after which
a new row of buttons would be created and youwould have to scroll down/up
through the arrows. ...

Yes, I was afraid of this. There seems to be no way to disable this
crappy feature. I just hate having to hunt and mess with the scroll
arrows just to find a certain taskbar icon, results in more visual
searching and mouse movement. Definitely less ergonomic - the
Microsoft UI design people should know better.

Thanks for the help, SM

Delwin Lee [MSFT]

We are well aware of this problem :). Unfortunately, for XP, the only
workarounds have already been suggested (make your taskbar bigger, enable
button grouping, etc.)

--
Please reply in newsgroup.

Squirrel said:
"Anando [MS-MVP]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
... However even if you disable that, there
is a maximum number of buttons that can be accomodated in a row, after which
a new row of buttons would be created and youwould have to scroll down/up
through the arrows. ...

Yes, I was afraid of this. There seems to be no way to disable this
crappy feature. I just hate having to hunt and mess with the scroll
arrows just to find a certain taskbar icon, results in more visual
searching and mouse movement. Definitely less ergonomic - the
Microsoft UI design people should know better.

Thanks for the help, SM

Durand

On another but relevant note for power users, is there also a way to make the
taskbar buttons show only the icons without the text? I'd prefer if the taskbar
buttons was say 20x20 pixels in size in icon view, thus making for a lot of room
on the taskbar. My workaround at the moment is to use alternative shell where
that can be implemented but wondered if it was possible in the explorer shell as
well.

Durand

| > ... However even if you disable that, there
| > is a maximum number of buttons that can be accomodated in a row, after which
| > a new row of buttons would be created and youwould have to scroll down/up
| > through the arrows. ...
|
| Yes, I was afraid of this. There seems to be no way to disable this
| crappy feature. I just hate having to hunt and mess with the scroll
| arrows just to find a certain taskbar icon, results in more visual
| searching and mouse movement. Definitely less ergonomic - the
| Microsoft UI design people should know better.
|
| Thanks for the help, SM

I too was going crazy trying to change the scroll thing in the taskbar. By trial and error I found a solution that worked for me. Right click the taskbar and unlock. Then move the right vertical bar as far to the left as possible but not so far as to remove any icons there. Then relock the taskbar. Everything works fine for me now. Good luck.

----- Squirrel wrote: -----

Anyone know how to disable/remove Windows XP's taskbar scroll arrows?

The scroll arrows appear once the number of taskbar icons hits a
certain threshold. I prefer the Windows 98/ME/2000 taskbar behavior of
progressively making the task icons smaller and smaller. Under Windows
XP, once the task icons reach a certain size, they will no longer go
smaller and the taskbar goes into scroll arrows mode. This can be
quite annoying when trying to search for a certain taskbar icons - I
now have to scroll back and forth with the taskbar scroll arrows.

I am fully aware of the "group similar icons option".

All I want is the original Windows 98/ME/2000 taskbar behavior, is
this possible?

Thanks, SM

Kelly

This doesn't sound right. Do you have the Quick Launch bar disabled? How
can one move toward the left without removing any icons, if not? Send me a
screenshot via email of what you are speaking of.

counting daisies said:
I too was going crazy trying to change the scroll thing in the taskbar.
By trial and error I found a solution that worked for me. Right click the
taskbar and unlock. Then move the right vertical bar as far to the left as
possible but not so far as to remove any icons there. Then relock the
taskbar. Everything works fine for me now. Good luck.

I'll try to explain. First of all, yes, I have Quick Launch enabled. I had unlocked the taskbar to add several icons and did not move the vertical bar back towards the left before locking the taskbar. This caused the unused space in the center to be too small to show open programs without scrolling. Since I made the correction all open programs are shown separately.

----- Kelly wrote: -----

This doesn't sound right. Do you have the Quick Launch bar disabled? How
can one move toward the left without removing any icons, if not? Send me a
screenshot via email of what you are speaking of.

/taskbarplus!.htm

counting daisies said:
I too was going crazy trying to change the scroll thing in the taskbar.
By trial and error I found a solution that worked for me. Right click the
taskbar and unlock. Then move the right vertical bar as far to the left as
possible but not so far as to remove any icons there. Then relock the
taskbar. Everything works fine for me now. Good luck.

Kelly

Ah, I see, thanks for the reply. Was a little confused with your statement
to move the glider over "all" the way to the left and then your mention of
but not to cover any icons. Can't have both. :blush:(