Table of Contents

Jo via OfficeKB.com

I am currently using Word 2000.

I don’t quite understand the concept of Table of Contents.

I've named my headings as follows (I'll only name a few): Level 1

Briefing
Appendices.

What I'm trying to achieve is:

Briefing

Then I would like a space of 18pt before Appendix 1, but then 9pts between
appendix 2, appendix 3, appendix 4, etc.

I’ve used the Modify button in TOC but this puts 18pts before everything and
not just before the first heading. Am I trying to achieve the impossible or
is there a way around this?

Thanks.
Jo

Poprivet

Jo said:
I am currently using Word 2000.

I don't quite understand the concept of Table of Contents.

I've named my headings as follows (I'll only name a few): Level 1

Briefing
Appendices.

What I'm trying to achieve is:

Briefing

Then I would like a space of 18pt before Appendix 1, but then 9pts
between appendix 2, appendix 3, appendix 4, etc.

I've used the Modify button in TOC but this puts 18pts before
everything and not just before the first heading. Am I trying to
achieve the impossible or is there a way around this?

Thanks.
Jo

You have to adjust each individual TOC font style

Stefan Blom

When you modify a TOC style, the modification is applied to *all*
entries using that particular style; the rule is that level one
headings use TOC 1, level two headings use TOC 2, etc.

Note, however, that you can map a paragraph of text to any TOC level.
For example, you can apply a non-heading style to your Appendix 1, set
its outline level to 9 (assuming this level is not used), add this
level to the TOC and then format the corresponding TOC style the way
you want it to display.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP