Sysvol problem

G

I have a windows 2000 mixed mode AD with 2 W2k Dc's and an NT4 BDC.
server romulus is the main server and has the pdc and rid master roles. this server also runs MS exchange 5.5
Server remus has the infrastructure master role and runs dhcp and an inhouse data checking program.
Both servers are global catalog servers and run DNS. DNS on each machine points to the other server as primary dns.

Problem.
Over the weekend remus filled the c drive and crashed. The server rebooted and carried on but an error with journal wrap stopped the Sysvol starting.
Also over the weekend romulus crashed. A single error event ID 13508 occured on reboot.
Checking the servers on Monday I noticed the error on Remus first and tried correction it using the "enable journal wrap automatic restore" registry setting.
This seemed to work and I got the error that the sysvol share would not be available until the replication had completed. However a few minutes later I get the 13508 error message. At this time I did not know romulus had also crashed.
I checked romulus next and saw the crash error and error for replication. Re started ntfrs service and no more errors occured on romulus and Sysvol shared.
tried restarting service on remus but the same errors occured.
looking through numerous articals I have not found a fix for this problem.

dcdiag
romulus
Clear except for:
Error: No record of File Replication System, SYSVOL started.
The Active Directory may be prevented from starting.
......................... ROMULUS passed test frssysvol

remus
Starting test: Advertising
Warning: DsGetDcName returned information for \\romulus
when we were trying to reach REMUS.
Server is not responding or is not considered suitable.
......................... REMUS failed test Advertising

Starting test: frssysvol
Error: No record of File Replication System, SYSVOL started.
The Active Directory may be prevented from starting.
There are errors after the SYSVOL has been shared.
The SYSVOL can prevent the AD from starting.
......................... REMUS passed test frssysvol

NTFRS logs

remus

14:50:21> :DS: Computer's dns name is remus.prophet.co.uk
<FrsDsFindComputer: 6108: 8737: S2:
14:50:21> :DS: Settings reference is cn=ntdssettings,cn=remus,cn=servers,cn=default-first-site-name,cn=sites
,cn=configuration,dc=prophet,dc=co,dc=uk
<RcsCreateSeedingCxtion: 28312: 7078: S0:
14:50:21> :X: ERROR - no parent computer for DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE):WStatus:ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

romulus

14:45:12> ++ ERROR - Invalid Partner: AuthClient:OFFICE\REMUS$, <FrsDsFindComputer: 1432: 8717: S2:
14:47:23> :DS: Computer FQDN is cn=romulus,ou=domain controllers,dc=prophet,dc=co,dc=uk
<FrsDsFindComputer:
Directory services and the DNS is replicating and no other problems are effecting the network.

G

Done some more digging. Using frsdiag I am only getting one server showing as having a GUID when I run the
"Build GUID2Name" tool. I have also added a new pc to the domain and though the pc works I am unable to add domain security groups or users to local groups as I get a message that the domain does not exist even though I can call up a list of available users/groups.

Ask a Question