system32\config\system corrupted

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware' started by philo, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Yesterday I was tweaking my win2k machine and disabled a number of unneeded
    services.
    After several reboots...there were no problems.
    When I went to print a document I realized that I had mistakenly disabled
    "spooler" so I re-enabled it and all went well
    until the next time I rebooted...

    I got the message that system32\config\system was corrupted or missing...
    so I chose "last good configuration" and the machine booted fine...
    however spooler was disabled. When I re-enabled spooler...again all was fine
    until the next reboot
    where i got the same error!

    Only this time..."last good confguration" did not work!

    I slaved the drive to another system and restored the entire system32\config
    folder from a recent backup (made *prior* to my tweaking the services)
    and the machine worked just fine all day yesterday.

    Of course today when I booted it up again I got the same "system corrupted
    or missing" error
    (and last known config) did not work.

    It sure looks like it could possibly be a drive hardware error

    but the mfg's diagnostic found no errors...nor did running chkdsk /r

    The thing I found interesting is that when I tried to run a repair
    installation...
    no operating system was found...however when I initiated (but canceled) a
    fresh installation...the installer "sees" the winnt folder.

    At this point I'm thinking of just plain recloning my OS (a working version
    of it that is) to an entirely different HD

    philo, Sep 30, 2007

  2. philo

    Dave Patrick Guest

    How big is the system hive?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269075

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Sep 30, 2007

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    "Dave Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > How big is the system hive?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269075

    The hive seems to be OK

    I think it might just have been a (slightly) bad clone.

    I've recloned my system to another drive and am going to just move on

    thanks for the reply

    philo, Sep 30, 2007