System tray does not remember "hide" or "show" for icons

*Vanguard*

The system tray for Windows XP is supposed to let users choose how to
handle the icons that show up there. Choices are: hide when inactive,
always hide, or always show. Okay, so why can't Windows XP remember what I
last configured for the icons?

I will go through the customize list of system tray icons to decide which
ones to always show and which ones to always hide. When I reboot, none of
those settings get used; i.e., none of the prior configuration will stick.
So what's the point of letting the user supposedly customize which icons are
shown and which are hidden if on the next login you have to do it all over
again?

*Vanguard*

"Kelly" said in news:[email protected]:
Most of the Notification Area options take time. Some over an hour to
correct, depending on what they are. More options here:

Repair/Customize Quick Launch, Taskbar and Notification Area

Geez! God forbid Microsoft can actually see the notification icon when it
appears. It has a list of the current ones plus one history list of prior
icons. I've gone through both lists and set the icons to either always hide
or always show (except a couple, like the Windows Update). Yet the Task
Manager (which shows as CPU usage) always gets reverted to hide when
inactive.

When you say it takes an hour, is that how long it takes for Windows XP to
"learn" how I really want the icons to be hidden or shown despite what I've
manually configured them for? Regardless of them stabilizing, an icon set
to always hide or always show should do that immediately even if it appears,
disappears, and reappears.

It's pretty stupid that I have to revert to PC Magazine's TrayManager2 to
really get my system tray area organized.

*Vanguard*

"Black Baptist" said in news:Xns9469226B6C323praythechurchcom@Letuspray:
Yea but you have to pay to get TrayManager2

Actually you don't pay for TrayMan2. You pay to subscribe to their download
service. The utilities are free but you have to now pay to get access to
them. I had downloaded TrayMan2 before they decided to use their downloads
as a revenue source. However, as Kelly mentioned, eventually the tray area
seems to remember what I configured but it was way longer than an hour.
More like days. Some of the icons still get listed as "when inactive" but
actually "always show" as I want them, like the Task Manager which shows CPU
usage. So it works now but it's peculiar that you have to keep kicking it
in the butt to do what you want and not what it detects. So I haven't
needed to use TrayMan (which might have compatibility problems with Windows
XP).

Black Baptist

*Vanguard* rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
"Black Baptist" said in news:Xns9469226B6C323praythechurchcom@Letuspray:

Actually you don't pay for TrayMan2. You pay to subscribe to their download
service. The utilities are free but you have to now pay to get access to
them. I had downloaded TrayMan2 before they decided to use their downloads
as a revenue source. However, as Kelly mentioned, eventually the tray area
seems to remember what I configured but it was way longer than an hour.
More like days. Some of the icons still get listed as "when inactive" but
actually "always show" as I want them, like the Task Manager which shows CPU
usage. So it works now but it's peculiar that you have to keep kicking it
in the butt to do what you want and not what it detects. So I haven't
needed to use TrayMan (which might have compatibility problems with Windows
XP).

I'm having a problem getting my connection icon to show in the notification
area, I've tried every solution I could find but still no joy. :(