System.Threading.Timer & W2K3 problem

Mircea Pleteriu

Hi all,

I've implemented a Windows service application with c# and .NET Framework
1.1.
The service starts 10 timers of type System.Threading.Timer.

The service runs as expected on Windows XP and 2000 Professional.
On the Windows 2003 Server + SP1 (Intel Xeon) some of the timers stop firing
after a short period of time.
No exceptions are thrown and no deadlocks occur.

Do you have any resolution?

Thanks,
Mircea

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mircea,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
Regarding on the System.Threading.Timer not work on win2k3 server with SP1
installed problem, based on my research, there does exists the problem of
Timer when using on win2k3 server with .NET sp1 installed. It is described
in the following kb article:

#FIX: When a .NET Framework based application uses the
System.Threading.Timer class, the timer event may not be signaled in the
..NET Framework 1.1 SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900822

So I'd suggest you first try a simple Application using the same number of
timers that do the similiar work and run it on the target server. If also
repro the problem, you can try contacting the MS PSS for the software
update....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no rights