System Restore & Notton System Works

RScotti

I been having some problems with Media Center Edition. One of them is Can't get System
Restore to work. I did a clean install with the Recovery DVD's and SR worked the first 3
or 4 hours. When I tried it 3 days later with different restore points it did not work.
One of the engineers at HP (Phone support)said it was because I had Norton System Works on
my computer (Not Go Back cause I have a Recovery Partition) I can't find any way of
proving this.
Does anyone have ideas on this? I am currently working with HP (Email Support)which did
not verify this problem, to have my computer shipped back to them because of SFC /scannow
not working but can't find any evidence in Event Viewer to give them on MS Restore.
I really don't want to leave NSW out of my computer but if it is going to screw up System
Restore I have no choice. I am retired and on a fixed income so I would prefer not to just
trash NSW.

Thanks for your help in the past.

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

Malke

RScotti said:
[...]

You already posted this and got answers (at least from me). Perhaps you need
to adjust your settings in Forte Agent?

Find your original thread instead of making a new post about the same
question.

Malke

RScotti

Hi Malke,
This is not a crosspost I added information and sent it later. I did this to get more
input cause I am a retired person with a fixed income and really can't afford to just
trash my Norton products. Since this newsgroup has a much better exposure I was hoping for
a alternate solution.

You already posted this and got answers (at least from me). Perhaps you need
to adjust your settings in Forte Agent?

Find your original thread instead of making a new post about the same
question.

Malke

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

Bert Kinney

Hi,

Go to Start - Run and type or paste the following command then press ENTER.
Try the same in Safe Mode.

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If you receive an error messages please post them here.

What's version of NSW installed on the system? To rule out NSW, uninstall it
and test System Restore. I would suggest not using NSW at all.

On the following page you will find links to free antivirus software.

Virus and Spyware removal and prevention steps:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

RScotti

Hi Bert,
Thank you very much for your input I tried you command and it just opened up the restore
screen. Is that what it is suppose to do? No error messages either.

The reason I like NSW is that the Speed disk seems to do a better job than the MS Defrag
plus I can set it up to do the drive automatically when I am not using the system and I
like the Registry fixer and One Button to fix errors. I know Windows does some of these
but not all of them.

I don't need a virus program I also got Norton Internet Security which came pre installed
from HP. It seems to do a good job.

Hi,

Go to Start - Run and type or paste the following command then press ENTER.
Try the same in Safe Mode.

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If you receive an error messages please post them here.

What's version of NSW installed on the system? To rule out NSW, uninstall it
and test System Restore. I would suggest not using NSW at all.

On the following page you will find links to free antivirus software.

Virus and Spyware removal and prevention steps:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

RScotti

Bert,
I forgot to mention I did uninstall NSW and it didn't work either. I reinstalled it waited
a day and System restore did work. When I tried it three days later it did not work.
Maybe I did not wait long enough?

Hi,

Go to Start - Run and type or paste the following command then press ENTER.
Try the same in Safe Mode.

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

If you receive an error messages please post them here.

What's version of NSW installed on the system? To rule out NSW, uninstall it
and test System Restore. I would suggest not using NSW at all.

On the following page you will find links to free antivirus software.

Virus and Spyware removal and prevention steps:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

Here are some troubleshooting steps to take when System Restore fails to
restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

Bert Kinney

Hi,

After running the command, you should see the first image on the
following page.

All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

All the NSW utility's are totally unnecessary, and possibly harmful.
Particularly the registry fixer.

A utility to Defragment All Hard Drives:
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

What version of NIS are you using? If you are using the 2006 version,
look here.
"Restoration Incomplete..." when running System Restore with Norton 2006
applications installed:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantec_doc_1.html

There are free antivirus apps available that will just as good a job and
are not so intrusive.

RScotti

Hi Bert,
After I did a clean install with the Recovery Disks. I tried the SR three hours later and
it worked. I than put in NSW waited a day and SR worked again. I waited three days and
tried it again and it did not work.

I read part of your article and you have a good point. You have some very interesting
articles.
BTW My NIS is version 2006.

Anything else you need please let me know.

Thanks again for helping me.

What do you mean by did not work?

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

Bert Kinney

It would have been a good idea to leave NSW off a while longer, just to
rule it out.

If you are going to leave NIS running on the system, then you will want
to turn 'Symantec Resource Protection' off until a fix is published. I
am not sure what this turns off, but you may want to consider using
another antivirus app in the mean time.

"Restoration Incomplete..." when running System Restore with Norton 2006
applications installed:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_symantec_doc_1.html

RScotti

Hi Bert,

What exactly is Symantec Resource Protection? Are you saying that is the program that does
the virus scan?
I thought I could just use it with the Resource Protection left off?

Do these other programs you mentioned have updated virus definitions every week or so?
What Symantec doesn’t tell you in this document is that the only restore points that will work are those created
with the "Turn protection on for my Symantec protect" unchecked and "Symantec Resource Protection" turned off.

I unchecked the box for Turn protection on for my Symantec protect. Is there something
else I have to do to turn off Symantec Resource Protection?

Maybe I don't understand what your saying.

It would have been a good idea to leave NSW off a while longer, just to
rule it out.

If you are going to leave NIS running on the system, then you will want
to turn 'Symantec Resource Protection' off until a fix is published. I
am not sure what this turns off, but you may want to consider using
another antivirus app in the mean time.

"Restoration Incomplete..." when running System Restore with Norton 2006
applications installed:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_symantec_doc_1.html

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

RScotti

Sorry, I acted too fast about what that program is?
I am not sure what this turns off, but you may want to consider using
another antivirus app in the mean time.

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

Bert Kinney

Hi Bert,

What exactly is Symantec Resource Protection? Are you saying that is
the program that does
the virus scan? I thought I could just use it with the Resource
Protection left off?

I don't know what Symantec Resource Protection effects. I refuse to use
Norton products.
Do these other programs you mentioned have updated virus definitions
every week or so?
On your site it says:

eTrust updates at least once a day. That is what i use.
I unchecked the box for Turn protection on for my Symantec protect. Is
there something
else I have to do to turn off Symantec Resource Protection?

No. I just don't know what protections will be effected.

RScotti

Hi Bret,
I just wanted to say thanks again and ask more info.
With etrust is there an automatic update? I assume they are at the site you gave me
earlier.

I don't know what Symantec Resource Protection effects. I refuse to use
Norton products.

eTrust updates at least once a day. That is what i use.

No. I just don't know what protections will be effected.

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

RScotti

I did more reading about Etrust Internet Security package and I am not sure if it supports
my Email Application which is Forte Agent. It does say that it supports POP but mine is
POP and SMTP.
Do you know about that?
Absolutely!!!

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

RScotti

Hi Again Bert,
I just ran the Defrag_all2_vbs it ran it DOS and it did not give me the option to
Scheduled Tasks.
How do I do that?

Absolutely!!!

Have a good day!
Rich Scotti

Bert Kinney

Hi,

How EZ Antivirus Deals With Viruses :

Default Actions - Real-time Protection
When a virus is found by the real-time protection, a message window will
immediately be displayed. The following actions are taken when a virus
is found by the real-time protection (file and email protection).

Note: The following are common detection scenarios. It is possible that
other scenarios can occur depending on your real-time protection
configuration and the type of virus detected.

Files

Scenario 1 - Infected file is accessed:

EZ Antivirus will clean the file for you as it is accessed. At this
stage, a message will appear advising you about all aspects of the virus
found. The message box includes a link to virus-specific information
stored on the Computer Associates Virus Encyclopedia. This gives a
detailed description of the virus detected. The virus will be removed
from the location it was detected in, and the system will be clean.

Scenario 2 - Infected file is accessed but can't be cleaned:

From time to time, files are reported as being infected, but are not
able to be cleaned. If a virus is found that is not cleanable, a message
will pop up advising you of the name and location of the file when it
was detected. Access to the file will be denied, and the infection
and/or propagation will not occur.

The infected file will be quarantined (excluding ZIP files and other
archives).

It is recommended that you send the file to us for further analysis.

Scenario 3 - Detecting infected ZIP files and other archives.

ZIP files and other Archives containing viruses, worms or Trojans will
go undetected until the infected file contained in the archive is
extracted. Once any attempt to extract or execute the infection is made,
the file will be dealt with according to Scenario 1 and 2 above.

Emails

Scenario 1 - Infected email is sent to your email address:

EZ Antivirus' email protection detects the infection before it is
delivered to your inbox. The email attachment cannot be accessed, or
opened. A message will appear advising you about all aspects of the
virus found. The message box includes a link to virus-specific
information stored on the Computer Associates Virus Encyclopedia. This
gives a detailed description of the virus detected.

The email will be sent to you with an attachment called
AntiVirusReport.txt. The attachment will contain the name of the
infection and the action performed on the virus.

The infected part of the email will be quarantined.

Scenario 2 - Infected email is sent to your address without email
scanning enabled:

The infected email will be in your inbox. If you try and access the
file, the real-time file scanner will detect the file attachment
according to the File scenario mentioned above. If there is no
attachment, and the email uses a script to infect, the real-time
protection will detect the script or the file that is dropped as a
result of the script running.

Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org

"RScotti" wrote in message

RScotti

Hi Bert,
Should we start a new tread for this problem?

I did as you said but it didn't take It said:
"The new task has been created but may not run because the account information could not
be set"
"0x800700005 Access is denied. Try using the task page browse button to locate the
application"

I did use the browse button, I think this happened because I didn't enter A password.
I tried to enter a password which I don't have one on this system and got the same
message.

Hi,

Save the vbs file to the hard drive.
Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Scheduled Tasks/Add
Scheduled Task.
Browse to the location where the vbs file was saved and create the new
task.

How to Automate Disk Defragmenter Using Task Scheduler Tool in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555098

How To Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569