J

jennywalker1

I am having a nightmare day. HP Pavillion note book not starting
windows. After repairing several folders, Have not tried to repair it
using the OS disc. I get lots of messages saying unable to copy
certain files, so i skip past those. Only to get to a point where it
says "setup cannot create the folder: \windows\system32\dhcp" Setup
cannot
continue until folder is created. What do I need to do? Help!
Jenny

M

Maurice N ~ MVP

Hello Jenny,

Do yourself a favor and take some time to explain exactly what you tried last. Your subject line says "system repair". Is that the repair-install of XP ?

Your message body says "repairing several folders". Was that also from repair-install?

You mention "not starting windows". Kindly clarify that. Is Xp starting? Is this a failure at login? or where?

Please reply here, and let us know if you have a full XP CD, or only a system recovery CD from HP. We 'may' also need to know your Pavillion model number. Plus any idea of how many programs, utilities you have set to *autostart* with Windows.

If we can get a clear picture of what you tried, folks here can more properly guide you.

There's a usual order that I suggest to folks when they cannot login to normal mode of Windows. (And note, repair-install is the next to last step that I would take. I'd exhaust all other avenues first.)

Some suggestions. Try them in order listed.

A)
Disable automatic restart on system failure. Just to see if you can get a STOP code, or if you can login to Safe mode, then
it's possible you can restart the system in normal mode later on.

When the pc is booting up ,Tap F8 Function key to get bootup options. Tap & keep repeat tapping F8 !
(Jenny, on your notebook, you'll likely have to start tapping F8 right away).
Either use CTRL+ALT+DEL keys to reboot system, or, power down pc, wait a minute, power back up, & tap away at F8.

You will actually see "Disable automatic restart on system failure" as an option .
Select that and give it a try. This option is available if you have XP service pack 2.

Once restart on failure is disabled, you may get a STOP error with
text --- at the next Windows startup.
Write it all down, and then start searching for the final solution.
And post back here with the STOP code & text.

B) If no stop code, and still unable to login to Safe mode, reboot pc, repeat the F8 tap, select the option with "VGA mode".
See if you can login.

If still unable to get into any mode......
Last, C) I'd do F-8 Function-key selective bootup and try hard to select Last Known Good.

D) In certain cases, using the Recovery Console would help to fix some problems.

E) Repair-install only if exhausted other steps.

F) Very last, system recovery CD or re-install of XP (hopefully after you have saved your files/documents)

Ask a Question