system optimization: software bundle that handles everything?

Reaction score
My home PC is just getting slower and aloswer, even though it's got enough RAM, a fast enough processor and definitely isn't compromised by any virus infection. It used to be much faster, therefore I'm thinking it's just an issue of too much clutter from old software installations and the like.
Are there software bundles that can perform some system checks (maybe even hardware checks) and also can search for obsolete data and stuff like that? :confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
TracyZ said:
My home PC is just getting slower and aloswer, even though it's got enough RAM, a fast enough processor and definitely isn't compromised by any virus infection. It used to be much faster, therefore I'm thinking it's just an issue of too much clutter from old software installations and the like.
Are there software bundles that can perform some system checks (maybe even hardware checks) and also can search for obsolete data and stuff like that? :confused:

... software bundle that handles everything
Nope!

;)

But MS are working on one ... I think they are calling it Vista. :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Mucks is correct when he says that there is no software which can do everything you ask for in one go. However there are some simple tricks you can do to clean up your system and the beauty of this software is that whatever you do can be reversed (restored), try it and see if it helps you, also remember you havenothing to loose as the program is FREE.

Take a look at this thread and you will be getting a good idea of what this nifty little program is capable of.

Easy Cleaner

If you use it and feel that you have gained some speed let us know, we love feedback! :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
ah now then ... fight! fight!

If you think that one is good ... try CrapCleaner after it.

Lets see who wins. :D

Make sure you run a "system restore point" before each program.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Vista?

muckshifter said:
Nope!

;)

But MS are working on one ... I think they are calling it Vista. :D
Nice suggestion Mucks!

But how many more "undocumented features" is that going to introduce?:D

muckshifter

Reaction score
CITech said:
Nice suggestion Mucks!

But how many more "undocumented features" is that going to introduce?:D
Dunno ... I'm sticking to Linux. ;)

Reaction score
CCleaner works good but I found other stuff that it missed using other cleaners.
The best part about CCleaner is it fixes software issues. Do a muck and backup.

Another thing I do to speed things up is turn off all uneeded background programs. Even with lots of memory to handle it the processor has to work harder.

Ya wont see this running in the background.
Clean spyware it makes the processor work harder also and take memory.

A badly fragmented drive slows it all.
If ya have a Fat 32 OS use Diskeeper light, free with automatic turned off.
I use it on XP also cause I think it defrags better.

Use a freespace cleaner cause all the stuff ya deleted is still there and the hard drive head is still working at keeping this hidden stuff sorted. When ya clean the freespace the drive will speed up cause its not sorting it anymore.

Skip this if ya have XP, it always on. Check this if ya dont have XP, , , DMA "direct memory acess" controllers can be turned off. control panel- system hardware- DMA is in the hard drive.

Reaction score
TracyZ said:

well, for hardware checks and the like there's CheckIt Diagnostics, for example
that one's a commercial one tho, no freeware
it's part of a bundle actually called Systemworks and there's other stuff in there too that might be helpful with your probs (norton utilities, system optimizer, GoBack and so on)

you could google it and see if it's what you want or not

Ask a Question