System is getting power but monitor will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Have not long eceived my new mobo. I changed everything over to it and switched it on. Everything is getting power, all the fans and lights switch on fine but the minoitor, although getting power, will not boot. Have tried changing the graphics card for others lying around, have tried putting everything back together the way it was with the old mobo and have tried it with another monitor and still no change. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kenny

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You didnt mention if you have changed your monitor? Try it on another monitor. Or try a different system on the monitor to see if the monitor still works. If your trying with an AGP gfx card, try with a PCI one (if you have one laying around obviously).

I had a little moitor prob the other day, the conection is really loose at the back where you put the cable, i would try and tighten it but the monitor has weird shapped screws! But its ok at the moment.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's not the monitor.

No beep = MB is not posting.

Reaction score
you`re right...its not the monitor. tried my monitor on my flatmates machine an it works. plus, when i plugged in the case speaker, I goit a nasty beepin noise, so I unplugged it again. :) I tried my disks and one of the graphics cards on my very old system and they were fine too. Have also tried another CPU in my computer and the monitor still doesnt boot. That leaves the motherboards and my new graphics cards. Writing this I think I can see the horible truth emerging.... its prob. the mobos isn`t it? Both of them.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If Motherboard won't POST:

Make sure RAM is seated securely and in correct slot(s) (see manual)
If you're using more than one stick of RAM, try one at a time.
Make sure grafix card seated properly.
Make sure 12 volt supply to motherboard is connected, if required.
Make sure CPU seated correctly (unlikely to be this)
Make sure at least one fan with a speed sensor is connected to CPU fan connector, as Bios may be set to disable if no fan detected.
Reset CMOS (Bios) via jumper (see manual) and try again.
Lastly, try taking out a few Motherboard mounting screws, or all of them, as it's possible there may be a short circuit between board and case. If that doesn't work, isolate motherboard from case using some insulation such as the bag the board came in; a piece of cardboard, something like that. This is unlikely to be the cause, but it's worth a try.
Only have the CPU; RAM & Grafix card connected, disconnect everything else until you've got the thing to POST.

I've probably forgot something, but if that little lot doesn't work, suspect something is faulty.

Reaction score
Should a disk be connected as well for a basic boot up? I haven`t connected my floppy, network card, or any of my CD drives either. Thanks for the tips tho, have tried some of them, am off to try the others! :)

Reaction score
Kenny said:
Should a disk be connected as well for a basic boot up? I haven`t connected my floppy, network card, or any of my CD drives either. Thanks for the tips tho, have tried some of them, am off to try the others! :)

connecting a floppy drive will make no difference to a failed POST. the finger looks to be pointing towards your motherboard. i'd get it tested.

Reaction score
unfortunately connecting a fan and clearing the CMOS made no difference. I`m running out of ideas... guess a return is what it`ll have to be :(

Reaction score
i think so kenny, just make sure all the jumpers on the board are set correctly! check the manual, thats the only other thing it can be!

Reaction score
nope...I checked.. the manuel works fine, can`t be that... heh heh :p sorry. Yea, as far as I know the jumpers are ok- there arent that many, mainly for system wake-up but the jumpers are set anyway. I`m having the same problem with the mobo that i`m replacing- that was fine until I got the new one. Don`t know what I`ve done. My new graphics card is working tho, makes me feel a bit better.

Reaction score
Bought replacement mobo this morning and it works fine. Thanks for your help as always ppl, sorry this thread is/ was very similar to another recent one. :)

Kenny

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No problem Kenny ... its always worth asking. ;)

Glad you know, and have it fixed.

Reaction score
well done mate

feels so good when your pc is working fine and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question