system can not find the file

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Installation' started by John, Nov 9, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Vista Home Premium 2

    New system board and processor. Won't boot.
    An i7 950 and gigabyte board with high speed 1600 memory. Doing repair
    doesn't work. Reports something wron with system timings/speed etc. as
    well could be.

    Memory folks (OCR) ask me to run memtest400 (it passed all the vista
    diagnostics).

    In install I go to command prompt and try to run mt400.exe. It says,
    "The system can not find the file." If I do dir e:\mt400.exe it fins it
    just dandy. I tried copying it to a number of other places but get the
    same response. Even copied it to the loading directory under a number of
    folders.

    Now what? Is it impossible to run exe files in vista installer?

    John

    John, Nov 9, 2009

  2. John

    Curious Guest

    What memory dims do you have installed. Vista requires that all memory
    installed be running at the same speed and it tests for this when it boots.
    If you are running DDR2 memory and you are not using a matched pair of dims
    this could be your problem.
    Another option is to test running all memory at a slower memory speed. Or
    if using 4GB drop down to testing with 2GB.

    Curious, Nov 9, 2009

  3. John

    John Guest

    Triple channel ddr3 1600. 6 megs at 2 2 2. I talked to the memory
    folks... they said it should run ok and must be a board problem... of
    course. Haven't had time to talk to the board people. Vista's memtest
    ran fine.

    John

    John, Nov 9, 2009
  4. John

    DL Guest

    www.memtest.org
    Download create the bootable floppy or cd

    DL, Nov 9, 2009
  5. John

    Curious Guest

    Have you tried slowing it down yet?

    Curious, Nov 9, 2009
  6. John

    peter Guest

    And of course you checked your BIOS settings to make sure they match
    your processor and RAM modules??

    memtest is best run of a floppy or CD/DVD
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    peter

    or disruptive,please ignore it.
    to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :)

    peter, Nov 9, 2009
  7. John

    John Guest

    New system and don't have a floppy or cd burner yet. Was hoping to use
    the option with memtest to run from a thumb drive. Guess that won't work.
    John

    John, Nov 10, 2009
  8. John

    John Guest

    Yeah... tried slowing it down, speeding it up... lots of things.
    John

    John, Nov 10, 2009
  9. John

    peter Guest