Windows XP Sysprep Problem

Reaction score
Prepared a system for sysprep (chose factory install, then resealed)

The system restarted, ran mini-setup, rebooted, I logged in as administrator, it continued the setup then 3 errors appeared stating it could not find inf files inside C:\windows\INF.

System appears to be corrupted now. When logged in as Administrator - no desktop appears - just blue screen (no change after hours), yet the default sound when logging in plays. In Safe Mode desktop appears, however drivers are unable to be loaded/unloaded. MMC is corrupted.

System info:
HP DX2000, 2GB RAM, 40GB HD (Partitions: 24GB/16GB)
OS installed from Win XP SP1 CD slipstreamed with SP2.
SP3 was installed afterwards.
Used Sysprep tools for SP3.

Any idea what might have caused the errors?
Should I be using the sysprep tools for SP2 or 1 instead?

Thanks,
-Unhappy.

Reaction score
Sysprep is primarily for use for installation on multiple systems

You only mention one!

If you are only installing on one system why are you using sysprep? Windows will do an install without it from getgo on a fresh drive without any third party software

You also mention a slip streamed disk..This would suggest to me that you have a copy of XP and not a legit version? And the errors you are describing are due to maybe trying to use a functioning Legit copy (hense the resealing) and the copied version?

We don't support illegal software i'm afraid!

Last edited:
Reaction score
1) I mention ONE, because it was the first test PC and it failed. Not gonna wipe others until I have a good working image. The other PCs are identical to the one I am imaging. I am using Sysprep to ensure the SID is unique on each PC.

2) It is a legit copy, we have volume licensing for all the computers we use at our site. I created a slipstreamed CD along with an unattended install to save time installing the OS and Service Packs. Just haven't gotten around to slipstreaming SP3 yet.

Now can you help with my question? Or are you gonna jump to more conclusions?

Reaction score
I see well in that case good luck solving your problem. I'm sure someone else will help :)

That conclusion enough for you?

Reaction score
Triple,

Whatever floats your boat.

Keep in mind, you started the conversation by tossing accusations and assumptions - I simply responded in kind. It would have been one thing if they had been obvious and clear conclusions based on what I said.

But instead they were assumptions that ignored things that are fairly common practice - volume licenses - testing before full deployment.

I mean seriously, you want to hold a grudge than it's on you.

Thanks for nothing.
-KH

Ask a Question