Synching Time on Windows XP Client in a Windows 2000 Domain

George Hester

I tried to use this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216734

to synchronize the Windows XP client with the time on the Windows 2000
Domain Controller. But when I typed in w32tm -s I received back the
following error:

The command -s is unknown.

So I did w32tm /? and find there is a parameter called /soft but it says it
is "Not useful."

What would be useful to synchronize the Windows XP client's time with the
Windows 2000 domain controller? Thanks.

Kerry Brown

George Hester said:
I tried to use this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216734

to synchronize the Windows XP client with the time on the Windows 2000
Domain Controller. But when I typed in w32tm -s I received back the
following error:

The command -s is unknown.

So I did w32tm /? and find there is a parameter called /soft but it says
it
is "Not useful."

What would be useful to synchronize the Windows XP client's time with the
Windows 2000 domain controller? Thanks.

w32tm /resync should resync to the domain time server

Kerry

George Hester

Yes I did that. But when I type in w32tm /resync what is returning is
Sending resync command to loacal computer. I don't think that is right.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
shafiee said:
Use
NET TIME \\COMPUTERNAME /DOMAIN:DOMAINNAME /SET

.

George Hester

No it didn't. What was returned was Sending resync command to local
computer... Could you please explain the steps necessary to use the Windows
2000 Domain Controller for Windows XP's Time Server? I tried to follow the
steps in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314054/

under the section "Configuring the Windows Times Service to use an External
Source." I then found this article:

http://www.wilsonmar.com/1clocks.htm

and would have liked to use this command:

w32tm -once -test -v

to convince myself all is well. But this doesn't work in Windows XP. So is
there an equivalent set of paramters in Windows XP?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
Kerry Brown said:
George Hester said:
I tried to use this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;216734

to synchronize the Windows XP client with the time on the Windows 2000
Domain Controller. But when I typed in w32tm -s I received back the
following error:

The command -s is unknown.

So I did w32tm /? and find there is a parameter called /soft but it says
it
is "Not useful."

What would be useful to synchronize the Windows XP client's time with the
Windows 2000 domain controller? Thanks.

w32tm /resync should resync to the domain time server

Kerry

David Candy

It is if you want the local computer to update it's time. There is no need for this as it happens at logon.

George Hester said:
No it didn't. What was returned was Sending resync command to local
computer... Could you please explain the steps necessary to use the
Windows
2000 Domain Controller for Windows XP's Time Server? I tried to follow
the
steps in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314054/

under the section "Configuring the Windows Times Service to use an
External
Source." I then found this article:

http://www.wilsonmar.com/1clocks.htm

and would have liked to use this command:

w32tm -once -test -v

to convince myself all is well. But this doesn't work in Windows XP. So
is
there an equivalent set of paramters in Windows XP?

After running w32tm /resync check the system log with event viewer. There
will be an entry telling you which server the local computer synched with.
Here are a some links explaining how it all works.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/time_w32tm.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314090

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314054

Kerry

George Hester

No I want it to update its time with the Doamin Cntroller.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

----------------------
George Hester said:
Yes I did that. But when I type in w32tm /resync what is returning is
Sending resync command to loacal computer. I don't think that is right.

David Candy

That what's it doing, though there is no need to as it has already done it. If you send Resynch to the server the server will update its time.

George Hester

I do have a W32Time event in that log. It occurred yesterday when I was
doing this. It does say synching with my Domain Controller. But when I
followed your suggestion no entry appeared at all in the Event Viewer and it
continues to return "Sending resync command to local computer...The command
completed successfully/"

The commands I gave you which work in Windows 2000:

w32tm -once -test -v

gives a lot of useful information. Anything of this type which I can use in
Windows XP to get the same level of information?

Kerry Brown

George Hester said:
I do have a W32Time event in that log. It occurred yesterday when I was
doing this. It does say synching with my Domain Controller. But when I
followed your suggestion no entry appeared at all in the Event Viewer and
it
continues to return "Sending resync command to local computer...The
command
completed successfully/"

The commands I gave you which work in Windows 2000:

w32tm -once -test -v

gives a lot of useful information. Anything of this type which I can use
in
Windows XP to get the same level of information?

I get an event in the system log every time I run w32tm /resync. W32tm
appears to be a different program in win2k and xp/server2003. XP and server
2003 use NTP while win2k uses SNTP. This discusion has prompted me to do a
lot of investigating. I had no idea xp/2003 was so different from 2000
regarding the time service.

Thanks, Kerry

George Hester

The commands I provided which work in Windows 2000:

w32tm -once -test -v

gives a lot of useful information. Anything of this type which I can use
in
Windows XP to get the same level of information?

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
So what is your problem? You a/ shouldn't be doing this, and b/ it's
working.

George Hester

Me neither. And no I don't get nothing in the System Log in Event Viwer
when I call w32tm /resync. Nope nothing at all.

David Candy

Ask in a 2000 group 2000 questions. I NEVER NEEDED TO RUN THIS COMMAND EVER. Nor do you. It is done automatically.

George Hester

I am using Windows XP so asking in the 2000 group is the wrong thing to do.
I do need to get this level of information in Windows XP. Any suggestions?
Let's try it like this:

C:>w32tm -once -test -v

W32Time: BEGIN:InitAdjIncr
W32Time: Adj 100148 , Incr 100144 fAdjust 0
W32Time: 100148 Adj!=Incr 100144
W32Time: END:Line 2503
W32Time: BEGIN:TsUpTheThread
W32Time: END Line 1407
W32Time: TimeMMInit()
W32Time: Kernel timer : using default maximum resolution
W32Time: MaximumTime = 100144
W32Time: CurrentTime = 10032
W32Time: Timer calibrated, looped 1 times
W32Time: BEGIN:InitTmCfg
W32Time: END:Line 807
W32Time: BEGIN:InitTmCli
W32Time: END:Line 2596
W32Time: BEGIN:InitTmData
W32Time: END:Line 2618
W32Time: AvoidTimeSyncOnWan 0
W32Time: BEGIN:CMOSSynchSet
W32Time: Setting adjustment 100148 - Bool 0
W32Time: BEGIN:SetTSTimeRes
W32Time: END:Line 1295
W32Time: END:Line 864
W32Time: BEGIN:InitializeDC
W32Time: BEGIN:GetRole
W32Time: Role is 'workstation'
W32Time: END Line 672
W32Time: END:Line 704
W32Time: Server: Binding to 2 NICs.
W32Time: Advertising that I'm a Time Service Provider
W32Time: timeBeginPeriod: setting resolution 9
W32Time: BEGIN:TimeSync
W32Time: BEGIN:FGetType
W32Time: END Line 254
W32Time: BEGIN:FDoTimeNTPType
W32Time: BEGIN:FDoNT5DSType
W32Time: BEGIN:FBuildDCList
W32Time: BEGIN:GetNT5DCAddress
W32Time: Member of an Win2K domain. Looking for DCs.
W32Time: Accepting previously discoverd DC
W32Time: BEGIN:GetRole
W32Time: Role is 'workstation'
W32Time: END Line 672
W32Time: Calling DsGetDcNameA() for a WS
W32Time: Using in domain DC as NO parent Domain DC
W32Time: DC address is 192.168.2.65
W32Time: DC friendly name is \\machine.domain.com
W32Time: END Line 519
W32Time: The RID...457
W32Time: END Line 639
W32Time: New DomainController time source is located:
W32Time: END Line 971
W32Time: BEGIN:ChooseNTPServer
W32Time: END Line 2178
W32Time: BEGIN:GetSocketForSynch
W32Time: NTP: ntpptrs[0] - 192.168.2.65
W32Time: Port Pinging to - 123
W32Time: Connecting to "\\machine.domain.com" (192.168.2.65)
W32Time: END:Line 1170
W32Time: BEGIN:GetDefaultRid
W32Time: END Line 2354
W32Time: BEGIN:ComputeDelay
W32Time: BEGIN:NTPTry -- init
W32Time: END Line 1683
W32Time: BEGIN:NTPTry -- try
W32Time: BEGIN:ComputeInterval
W32Time: END Line 2479
W32Time: Sending to server 68 bytes...
W32Time: BEGIN:TsUpTheThread
W32Time: END Line 1407
W32Time: NTP(S): waiting for datagram...
W32Time: BEGIN:TsUpTheThread
W32Time: END Line 1407
W32Time: NTP(S): waiting for datagram...
W32Time: Recv'ed from server 68 Bytes...
W32Time: BEGIN:ComputeClientDigest
W32Time: END Line 2316
W32Time: ComputeClientDigest() returned 0
W32Time: END Line 1907
W32Time: BEGIN:NTPTry -- delay
W32Time: END Line 2012
W32Time: Round trip was 10ms
W32Time: BEGIN:NTPTry -- gettime
W32Time: BEGIN:Fgmtimetonttime
W32Time: END Line 2563
W32Time: END Line 1998
W32Time: one-way delay is 5ms
W32Time: END Line 1645
W32Time: END Line 368
W32Time: BEGIN:TimeDiff
W32Time: ClockError -22
W32Time: END Line 2542
W32Time: BEGIN:FCheckTimeSanity
W32Time: Adjusting time by 22 ms. No eventlog messages since time
difference is 0 <1 minute
W32Time: END Line 570
W32Time: BEGIN:SetTimeNow
W32Time: Would have Skewed for backwards, badj, btime = 50074 44
W32Time: END Line 1280
W32Time: Time was 28min 15.023s
W32Time: Time is 28min 15.001s
W32Time: Error 22ms
W32Time: BEGIN:CheckLeapFlag
W32Time: END:Line 606
W32Time: BEGIN:ComputePostTimeData
W32Time: BEGIN:ComputeInterval
W32Time: END Line 2479
W32Time: BEGIN:ComputeSleepStuff
W32Time: Computed stagger is 0ms, bias is 0ms
W32Time: Time until next sync - 2699.960s
W32Time: END:Line 816
W32Time: END:Line 221
W32Time: END:Line 196
W32Time: BEGIN:TermTime
W32Time: NTP(S): received shutdown notification.
W32Time: NTP(S): received shutdown notification.
W32Time: TimeMMCleanup()
W32Time: BEGIN:FinishCleanup
W32Time: BEGIN:TsUpTheThread
W32Time: END Line 1407
W32Time: Inform NetLogon That you are not a TS Provider
W32Time: BEGIN:UnInitializeDC
W32Time: Ptrs 0 - 0
W32Time: END:Line 727
W32Time: Time service stopped.
W32Time: END:Line 407

This is the level of information I "need" in Windows XP.

--
George Hester