Sync two drop down lists

Mac

Hi,

could somebody please help me out with this problem.
Let's say that I have two sheets and an identical drop box list on
both of these sheets. That is, both drop boxes give the user the same/
identical choices of selectable alternatives. I want these boxes to be
in sync: if the user selects "apples" on one sheet... the drop box on
the other sheet should automatically change to "apples" as well. As
the user may initialize the change on any of the two sheets, the sync
needs to work both ways (always updating according to the latest
change).

Can this be done using list drop-boxes? I do not want to use combo-
boxes.

Thanks.

TheGlimmerMan

Hi,

could somebody please help me out with this problem.
Let's say that I have two sheets and an identical drop box list on
both of these sheets. That is, both drop boxes give the user the same/
identical choices of selectable alternatives. I want these boxes to be
in sync: if the user selects "apples" on one sheet... the drop box on
the other sheet should automatically change to "apples" as well. As
the user may initialize the change on any of the two sheets, the sync
needs to work both ways (always updating according to the latest
change).

Can this be done using list drop-boxes? I do not want to use combo-
boxes.

Thanks.

Only if the drop boxes and status box are kept in a third workbook,
yes.

Both "User workbooks" make calls to the third,not directly accessible
worksheet. Give the lists named ranges, and the call becomes a short
little function call.

I will post a set of three sheets later today, but I am now leaving for
work, so I cannot do it right now.

Gord Dibben

Use the same Data Validation dropdowns on each of sheet1 and sheet2.

This event code goes behind appropriate sheet.

'Mirror code

'Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'entered in Sheet2
'Sheet1.Range(Target.Address).Value = Target.Value
'End Sub

'Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'entered in Sheet1
'Sheet2.Range(Target.Address).Value = Target.Value
'End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

TheGlimmerMan

Would not my method work 'code free'?

Use the same Data Validation dropdowns on each of sheet1 and sheet2.

This event code goes behind appropriate sheet.

'Mirror code

'Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'entered in Sheet2
'Sheet1.Range(Target.Address).Value = Target.Value
'End Sub

'Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
'entered in Sheet1
'Sheet2.Range(Target.Address).Value = Target.Value
'End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben

I did not read your response so you would be the better judge of your method.

OP can choose whichever method meets his needs.

Gord

TheGlimmerMan

I did not read your response so you would be the better judge of your method.

OP can choose whichever method meets his needs.

Gord

Oh, you're a real friendly ****head.

It would have taken all of 20 seconds.

Are you representative of all Canadians?

I would like to think not. You take 'dumb bastard' to an all new low.

Clif McIrvin

TheGlimmerMan said:
Oh, you're a real friendly ****head.

It would have taken all of 20 seconds.

Are you representative of all Canadians?

I would like to think not. You take 'dumb bastard' to an all new
low.

Ease off there ... I just took the time to dig back through the thread
history, and all I find from you is "I'll post my solution later" ...
and I find no such posted solution.

Gord Dibben

It would have taken all of 20 seconds.

To do what?

All I have seen was your original response stating.......
Only if the drop boxes and status box are kept in a third workbook,
yes.
Both "User workbooks" make calls to the third,not directly accessible
worksheet. Give the lists named ranges, and the call becomes a short
little function call.

You were going to work and would get back later and post three sheets with your
solution.

Since I have not seen that, I cannot comment upon its efficacy or non-use of
code.

So the answer to " Would not my method work 'code free'? remains the same.

In addition...............do you know the difference between a workbook and a
worksheet?

Why do you need three workbooks when OP inquired about two synchronized
worksheets?

Gord

Rick Rothstein

Gord's reaction to your posting was much nicer than mine would have been had
you unleashed your tirade against me, so kudos to Gord for that. But, to
tell you the truth, I am not sure why you jumped into Gord's sub-thread in
the first place. You posted a possible solution, and so did he, to which you
replied "Would not my method work 'code free'?". My question to you is why
did you make that posting in the first place. Surely you are not so arrogant
to think that just because you offered a solution that it must automatically
be the "best" one and that no one else should post anything afterwards, do
you? There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering alternative solutions
for the OP to consider no matter how good you consider the solution you made
to be. Personally, I think you owe Gord a public apology for your totally
uncalled for outburst.

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

"TheGlimmerMan" wrote in message

I did not read your response so you would be the better judge of your
method.

OP can choose whichever method meets his needs.

Gord

Oh, you're a real friendly ****head.

It would have taken all of 20 seconds.

Are you representative of all Canadians?

I would like to think not. You take 'dumb bastard' to an all new low.

TheGlimmerMan

If you remember that being the error most questioners make, NOT their
responders, think.

It appears to me that he refers to two users using two different
'sheets' (workbooks).

The entire way he framed was like an ability to "co-edit" two sheets
where selections between them made by EITHER "user" get reflected in the
other user's "sheet".

So, *I* mentioned making a THIRD "workbook" (the name *some* of us know
it by) where certain variables could be stored, referenced, and updated,
etc.

I thought his goal was rather easy to spot, but I could be wrong.

Of course it is easy to do on one workbook across separate worksheets.

Take a look at it again (his post) and see if maybe the way it strikes
you could differ.

I apologize for thinking you were just another "cursory glance" guy.
After all, you did come right out with mentions of other folks'
solutions.

Maybe it will look as I described upon a second review.

Maybe I am the one that was seeing things.

TheGlimmerMan

you jumped into Gord's sub-thread in

Dude.Grow the **** up. This is Usenet, regardless of how far you would
like to think it is separated from it.

There are no private posts, or private branches to posts.

GTFUCYMMWTUC

Grow The **** Up, Chuck, You Make Me Want To UpChuck.

TheGlimmerMan

Surely you are not so arrogant
to think that just because you offered a solution that it must automatically
be the "best" one and that no one else should post anything afterwards,

You do know that "code-less" is better than "with-code", right?

Are you so arrogant (errr stupid) as to think that there are not
organizations where such types of vulnerabilities are disallowed?

Grow up, little boy. I never made any claim of "best-ness". You are the
;little prick that brought you sub 40 IQ to the playground. I am doing
some besting right now, however.

Go away, little circus flea.

Roger Govier

Hi

I am sure that you are a man of many talents, but clearly common courtesy
isn't one of them.

Gord Dibben has answered posts in newsgroups for well over a decade. His
answers have inevitably been correct over the whole of that period, but I am
sure that Gord would be the first to recognise that his solutions are not
the only nor necessarily the "best" solutions to any given problem.

Excel is such a rich product that there are inevitable "many ways of
skinning the cat". What is "best" is only in the eye of the beholder.

Similarly, Rick has been answering questions in these groups for a long
time - again with unfailing accuracy.

Your tirade against each of them is neither warranted, nor has any place in
what has always been a helpful and sociable Newsgroup.

With regard to definitions
So, *I* mentioned making a THIRD "workbook" (the name *some* of us know
it by) where certain variables could be stored, referenced, and updated,
etc.

On the question of Worksheets and Workbooks, there is a distinct difference.
A workbook is a collection of worksheets
From Microsoft's help
A Microsoft Office Excel workbook is a file that contains one or more
worksheets .....
The OP only referred to Worksheets in his post.

--

Regards
Roger Govier

TheGlimmerMan said:
You do know that "code-less" is better than "with-code", right?

Are you so arrogant (errr stupid) as to think that there are not
organizations where such types of vulnerabilities are disallowed?

Grow up, little boy. I never made any claim of "best-ness". You are the
;little prick that brought you sub 40 IQ to the playground. I am doing
some besting right now, however.

Go away, little circus flea.

signature database 5791 (20110116) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5791 (20110116) __________

http://www.eset.com

TheQuickBrownFox

I am sure that you are a man of many talents, but clearly common courtesy
isn't one of them.

I thought I already told you once to stop looking in the mirror.

TheGlimmerMan

Excel is such a rich product that there are inevitable "many ways of
skinning the cat". What is "best" is only in the eye of the beholder.

Again, DUMBASS! I NEVER claimed *ANYTHING* was the best. That is what
you dingledorfs are doing!

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

On the question of Worksheets and Workbooks, there is a distinct difference.
A workbook is a collection of worksheets

You miss the point as well. Like wearing horse blinders, eh?

I refer to the OP's use of the term "sheet". NOT "worksheet".

You idiots keep thinking that it is I that is confused. I know exactly
what they are called, dipshit. I also know how it was worded in the
original query.

And in the context HE (or she) used (the OP), it appeared(s) rather
obvious to me that he referred to a sheet as each being a separate file.
He was not EVER using ANY of the "modern" jargon. SYCKMA!

So, you are obviously yet another dolt that failed to read the original
post.

So you can STFU.

And any primer you ever thought you were intelligent enough to give,
with your 'thumb the nose' link to the definition of the terms falls
right in on a scale of 100 with your IQ. About 40, leaning 35ish, old
chap. You gotta get in to get out...

Rick Rothstein

I won't waste my time attempting to respond to each of the "questions" you
raised in both of your responses to me because you are obviously not of a
mind to want to properly discuss the issues. I do want to congratulate you
on your bravery though... it is not every day someone such as yourself is
willing to demonstrate what a completely ignorant and pathetic person they
are as you did with your public displays of juvenile "behavior"... and so I
salute you for that. Of course, you are hiding your identity behind that
TheGlimmerMan alias though, so I guess that does not make you so brave after
all... I guess that just leaves pathetic and ignorant to describe you then.
Oh, and I find it interesting that I suggested in my first posting to you
that you should apologize to Gord and it appears that you did so in your
latest response to him. I am just wondering... should I be waiting for an
apology from you to me as well?

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

"TheGlimmerMan" wrote in message

Surely you are not so arrogant
to think that just because you offered a solution that it must
automatically
be the "best" one and that no one else should post anything afterwards,

You do know that "code-less" is better than "with-code", right?

Are you so arrogant (errr stupid) as to think that there are not
organizations where such types of vulnerabilities are disallowed?

Grow up, little boy. I never made any claim of "best-ness". You are the
;little prick that brought you sub 40 IQ to the playground. I am doing
some besting right now, however.

Go away, little circus flea.

Gord Dibben

OP's original description of the problem...................
could somebody please help me out with this problem.
Let's say that I have two sheets and an identical drop box list on
both of these sheets. That is, both drop boxes give the user the same/
identical choices of selectable alternatives. I want these boxes to be
in sync: if the user selects "apples" on one sheet... the drop box on
the other sheet should automatically change to "apples" as well. As
the user may initialize the change on any of the two sheets, the sync
needs to work both ways (always updating according to the latest
change).

I do not interpret as there being more than one user.

I see no mention of two files.

"Sheets" are not generally synonymous with "files" or "workbooks"

Perhaps you were thinking of "spreadsheets" which is commonly used when
referring to workbooks or files.

I thank you for the apology in any case.

But, I do think believe you have insulted and alienated many in these Excel
newsgroups and will be largely ignored in the future.

Looking at this entire thread makes me wonder if OP will ever post again.

Gord

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

"Sheets" are not generally synonymous with "files" or "workbooks"

Bull!

Before the dumb MS 'paradigm' you guys are blathering about, when a man
referred to a sheet, it was a whole "spreadsheet", which is what they
were called, and "sheet" was short for that, and EACH ONE was an
individual file. That "tab" thing came in after, and THEN you guys
started the "workbook" "worksheet" naming paradigm thing.

So, either you are getting senile, or you are too damned young to be
arguing over something you obviously know little or nothing about the
history of, commonly known as "etymology".

I have been around since the early DOS years. I remember "sheets".

So, the world falls into place and we all now call them "workbooks" and
each "sheet" is now lay jargon for a 'tab' or 'worksheet' within said
'workbook'.

You need to make up your minds. Particularly since the OP did not
follow your plan.

Hey! I know... why don't we ask the OP to TELL US what he (or she)
meant!!!???

Stop yankin' my chain, dufuses (yes plural), and learn to read. THEN...
MAYBE you can begin to learn how to properly interpret what you have
read. I have serious doubts though. Same types of dopes that "take the
highway because it's faster" when it is twice as long in distance.

CellShocked

Looking at this entire thread makes me wonder if OP will ever post again.

You mean the guy you completely ****ing missed referring to them as
"sheets"?

Do you know yet to this day what HE meant?

WAKE UP, IDIOT(S)!!!