OneNote Sync between tablet and desktop isn't automatic

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I've been testing Office 365 and particularly OneNote to see if it can replace Evernote. I can live with the slightly awkward interface, but what I cannot live with is the painfully slow synchronization. Notes that I add on either the Windows desktop client or an iOS client does not sync across unless I manually click the Sync button. I can write a new note on my desktop, close the application, and my tablet never sees it until I go into the desktop app and deliberately click Sync. Even when it does its "automatic sync" and says "sync'd last 1 minute ago", notes written ten minutes ago still aren't synced.

I wonder if this is just by design or if there is some issue with Office 365. Does this work any better using Microsoft Accounts?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've recently moved over a lot of my stuff to Office 365 - after years of using Google apps for everything. I switched to MS as I'm sick of Google having access to absolutely everything (not that it makes much difference, but there we go ;)).

I have the Android and Windows OneNote clients, but they sync without needing to click the button manually - I just did a test by adding something to my To-Do list in the Windows app and it appeared on my phone without clicking/syncing anything within a few seconds.

I'm using my paid Office 365 Microsoft account, so perhaps it does make a difference after all. From what I understand, the free version of OneNote will sync to OneDrive instead.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is my experience that MS 'apps' do not like to 'talk' to other MS apps, never mind anything on a 3rd party OS.

:user:

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
I've recently moved over a lot of my stuff to Office 365 - after years of using Google apps for everything. I switched to MS as I'm sick of Google having access to absolutely everything (not that it makes much difference, but there we go ;)).

. . .

I'm using my paid Office 365 Microsoft account, so perhaps it does make a difference after all. From what I understand, the free version of OneNote will sync to OneDrive instead.
I am using a trial of Business Premium, but I do think it syncs through OneDrive... :(

How do you find the experience switching to Office 365? I've used Google Apps for years, but I don't really like the Google ecosystem and I don't trust them not to whimsically kill apps like Keep.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It took a little longer to get Office 365 running how I'd like, but I do prefer it over Google Apps. Having access to the desktop apps is great and as I use Outlook 2016 as my email client anyway, it syncs beautifully and works really well with an Android e-mail app called "Nine". I'm surprised at how useful I find Exchange server vs other e-mail services.

I found that Google apps work great on Android and via a web interface, but some of them don't play well with desktop PC apps.

As they're similarly priced, I didn't mind making the jump as a temporary measure and then switch back if needs be. So far, I won't be moving back!

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
It took a little longer to get Office 365 running how I'd like, but I do prefer it over Google Apps. Having access to the desktop apps is great and as I use Outlook 2016 as my email client anyway, it syncs beautifully and works really well with an Android e-mail app called "Nine". I'm surprised at how useful I find Exchange server vs other e-mail services.
My family is on a grandfathered free Google Apps account. Unfortunately the free option doesn't have EAS support anymore, and there is no option to only upgrade select users, so I would have to pay for 6 users - and I wouldn't even get desktop applications like you get with Office 365.

I think O365 is a great value for the money but it's still far from being the fluid experience I'd like. Especially if you happen to also have a Microsoft Account with the same email address, oh boy...

But Exchange, man... It's just so good.

Ask a Question