Suspend mode

Andy Baker

We have been having a few problems with a customer of ours who has several
devices running CE.NET 4.2. There are two distinct problems.1) The device is
suspended after being left all night, but pressing the power button does not
cause it to come back on. A soft reset will get it going, until it goes into
suspend mode again. 2) The device is working normally then if he has a
problem printing (say), and resets the device (I know he shouldn't!), the
device restarts but there is nothing on the screen. If you tap the screen
you hear a click, and if you connect is to a PC via ActiveSync you can see
the files on the device, but there is nothing on the screen. I have only
been able to cure this by a hard reset - a soft reset does not cure it.
The device manufacturer says it is my software (and it probably is).
What needs to be loaded in CE.NET to ensure the power button responds, and
is there any way my software could have removed it? I have done some work in
the past using notifications and I think that it must be that it is not
responding to the button press. However I cannot see what I can have done
that prevents the screen from being displayed even after a reset. The
battery is fully charged and it has happened on more than one device. Any
suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andy Baker

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

I'd be awfully surprised if that was your software, unless you are doing
something to control power operations. What power calls are you making?
SystemIdleTimerReset? Can you duplicate the problem with a simple .NET CF
application that does nothing but show a form?

Paul T.

Andy Baker

Hi Paul,

I'm not making any power calls at all, so I would also be surprised if it
was my software. I have previously used notifcations to wake a device up
from suspend to reload data overnight, and when I was developing this I
managed to accidentally delete the notification event for activesync, which
unsurprisingly stopped working.. I presume that something similar is
happening here for the power button. Is there any way I can tell what
notification events should be / are loaded? I still don't understand the
screen one, though! Unfortunately I have not been able to duplicate the
problem at all, it has only happened at one of our customers' sites, but on
several different devices. The manufacturers say they have never heard of
the problem before and have thousands of units in operation, so it must be
the software.

Andy Baker

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

You can certainly enumerate the notifications, through native code calls.
I'm not intimately familiar with what else might be available for Windows
Mobile as far as notifications go, so there might be some managed code for
that too that I don't know about.

The native notification calls have names of the form
"CeXYZUserNotification", like CeGetUserNotificationHandles, which you can
use to get a complete list of all currently-set notfiications. Of course, a
hard reset will fix your accidental removal of the ActiveSync event...

Paul T.

Andy Baker said:
[...]

With the Activesync problem, as soon as I found that the hard reset cleared
the problem, I realised what I had done. That is why I was wondering if
something similar was happening in this case, although I don't think it is
anything to do with my code this time. I will check what notifications are
loaded if the problem happens again, before and after the reboot that fixes
it. Can you think of any reason why the screen would not come on, but the
device otherwise works normally? This is a problem even after a soft reset,
when the device is fully charged, and has got me totally baffled. Thanks for
your help.

Andy Baker said:
[...]

That's all OEM-dependent. I can think of a number of reasons why they might
try to do that and, of course, it's quite possible that the power button
isn't supposed to turn anything on for some reason. You really need to ask
the device vendor...

Paul T.