SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The basic question here is, can solution providers count on Linux to fill the gaps? The simple answer is yes.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 has the feature set, compatibility and flexibility to meet the needs of most corporate desktop users. What's more, at a price point roughly one-tenth of what Vista and Office 2007 will cost, SUSE Linux becomes harder to ignore.
nod.gif

http://www.crn.com/nl/crndailynews/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=188703320

And here is a full review of SUSE Linux Enterprise 10, with screenshots and flash movies ...

http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/7150.html

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A nice touch with SUSE's installer is the hardware validation screen, where an installer can check to see if all of the hardware has been identified. Vista accomplishes that task after the initial install, leaving most of the hardware identification chores for after the first boot up.

Arguably, the biggest factor in completing a successful installation comes in the form of driver support. That turned out to be a challenge with Vista. Test Center engineers encountered hardware compatibility difficulties with every machine tested, forcing Windows XP drivers to be used in some cases or, at worst, ignoring the nonfunctioning components. Test Center engineers had the best success with a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T42. (See related story.)

With SUSE Linux, most drivers were included on the installation CD or readily available during the install. The install process includes the ability to automatically retrieve the latest updates, patches and drivers, as long as you have a valid Internet connection during the process. Vista offers a similar capability, but the simple truth is that most drivers are just not available yet. Microsoft has promised that the driver issues will be resolved by the time Vista is released to manufacturing.

:thumb:

Does the Suse version you have to pay for include all the media add-ons? So you can play DVD's and mp3's straight off?

If so, it may be worth paying for.

If not, may as well stick to freebie version, do Internet search and update all that stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Does the Suse version you have to pay for include all the media add-ons? So you can play DVD's and mp3's straight off?

If so, it may be worth paying for.

If not, may as well stick to freebie version, do Internet search and update all that stuff.

-
Still reading the articles myself ... but I would say yes, same as the shop bought (free version) ... & @ only £25 (ish) I'm looking for a copy now.

I'll let you know more as I get it ... :)

Ask a Question