    scroll. It would make for easier inputting and we will only have two-three
    records in the one-many relationship.

    Thanks.

    Charlie, Jul 5, 2008

  2. If the datatypes of the many fields are conducive to this, you could write a
    UNION query that gets the first 6 fields (for example) for a row, then the
    next 6 fields for a second row, etc. and then use that UNION query as the
    RecordSource query for the subform. However, in order to do this, all the
    fields that are in the "first column" must be of the same datatype, all the
    fields in the "second column" must be of the same datatype, etc.

    Otherwise, you'll need to rethink how you want to do the display. Perhaps
    use tab pages to show the different fields?

    --

    Ken Snell
    <MS ACCESS MVP>

    Ken Snell \(MVP\), Jul 5, 2008

  3. Charlie

    Larry Linson Guest

    I am not certain what you mean by "it is the 'many' record". One-to-many is
    a relationship between tables, not between two records. It sounds as if you
    thought there is a "one" record and then a "many" record with "many" fields
    of identical definition. That is not relational design, it's not
    one-to-many, and it is not how Access (or any relational database) is
    intended to work.

    If you don't redesign, according to relational rules, sooner or later (most
    likely far sooner that you believe), you'll rue the decision not to do so.

    In a one-to-many relationship you have a table on the "one" side... with one
    record per "whatever the subject is", and you have another table, with
    "multiple" records related to the records in the one table by a foreign key
    that identifies the one record's subject. For example, in a business you
    have a Customers Table that has a record for each of your Customer
    Companies, each identified by a CustomerID; related to that you have a
    Contacts Table with information about People who work for those companies
    (one record per person)... each record identified by a Contact ID, and
    related to the Customers Table by a foreign key containing the value of a
    Customer ID in the Customers Table.

    To obtain a list of a Company and all its Contacts, you would create a
    Query, which would return the requested information from both Customers and
    Contacts, one record per Contact. Believe me when I say that will be far,
    far easier to work with than a single Contacts Record per Company containing
    many Contacts.

    Larry Linson
    Microsoft Office Access MVP

    Larry Linson, Jul 6, 2008