    the most desired way of doing it

    Any help will be appreciated

    thanks

    Pierre Darisse, Apr 9, 2010

  2. On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 07:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Pierre Darisse
    <> wrote:

    If I remember correctly this is one of the new features in the
    upcoming Office 2010. No, there is no workaound with current versions
    of Access.

    -Tom.
    Microsoft Access MVP

    Tom van Stiphout, Apr 9, 2010

  3. Tom, Bruce,

    Thank you both for the nice input, as both were near what I want to
    do.

    Sadly, unless I'm mistaken, although it is around the corner, Access
    2010 is not out yet and since I need to deliver my application ASAP,
    it is not a possibility. As for the 2 continuous forms on a master
    form, the problem with this solution is that I need to display all the
    data at once (for the project manager to see all projects with all
    affected resources and their usage at a glance).

    Do you guys know of a way I could do it in an ActiveX control in
    VB .NET and then put it in my access form?

    Thanks for your input

    Pierre

    Pierre Darisse, Apr 12, 2010
  4. Pierre Darisse

    Peter Hibbs Guest

    Pierre,

    If you are willing to use an ActiveX control and can write the
    necessary code you could use a FlexGrid control which should do what
    you want. See the the Flex Grid Demo program at :-

    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/...p?FID=21&SID=5debzz2c87c6957859f13b1d2zcccfb4

    for some examples.

    Peter Hibbs.

    Peter Hibbs, Apr 12, 2010
  5. Peter,

    The way I saw the FlexGrid, I still have the problem of linking it to
    a key field in the continuous form, in this case, the ProjectID. That
    is, unless I put all the query in the flexgrid and say the first line
    is the project info and the subsequent lines are the resources
    utilization. If that would be the case, would I still be able to
    modify the required data (the query being a bit complicated)?

    So basically :

    -any way of linking a detail grid to a projectID?

    if not :

    - any way of showing all data and at the same time being able to
    change it

    Pierre

    Pierre Darisse, Apr 12, 2010
  6. Bruce,

    Well that's not necessarily such a powerful glance, the users just
    want to be able to scroll the project list and be able to see quick
    visual cues for their projects (e.g. if there is a due date, the
    background is of another color for this week and so on) and be able to
    change the hours affected to this resource

    Pierre

    Pierre Darisse, Apr 12, 2010
  7. Pierre Darisse

    Peter Hibbs Guest

    Pierre,

    You would normally use the FlexGrid control INSTEAD of a Continuous
    form, the control would show the data that would normally be shown on
    the form, the demo shows several examples of this.

    You can edit the data in a FlexGrid control although, because this
    control cannot be bound to a table (or query) you have to use
    different techniques depending on the nature of the data and the
    tables design.

    The easiest method to code is to show the user a pop-up form when they
    click on a FlexGrid cell and they would enter data into unbound
    controls on this form. When they click an 'OK' button, the data will
    be copied back to the relevant table/s and the FlexGrid image updated
    to show the amended data. Alternatively you can edit the data in a
    FlexGrid cell and copy the data back to the table but this is more
    complex. There are examples of both techinques in the demo I
    mentioned.

    HTH

    Peter Hibbs.

    Peter Hibbs, Apr 12, 2010