Stuttery mouse and games

Lindsay

My mouse stutters. I will start moving the cursor to a menu (for example),
and the cursor freezes then jumps to a new point then freezes again and then
maybe I get control back. Also, in games (old games my pc can handle such as
Final Doom) the screen will freeze for a second then movement (maybe one
frame) then it freezes etc, usually if the screen brightens for some reason
(gunfire, picking up objects). And yet, playback of DVDs is fine.

I have a laptop. I have re-installed drivers for the sound and video, trying
new drivers then back to old and back again, but to no avail.

CPU 1Ghz
RAM 512Mhz
nVidia GeForce2 32Mb
Hitachi 40Gb 5400rpm

Lindsay

I decided to re-install XP. Immediately after, I updated any drivers (I have
them all on CD), then re-installed the DOOM game. All was fine. The game
showed no problems. So then I continued to re-install a few other programs.
Then the problem re-occured. I cannot pin-point it.

Does anyone have even the slightest idea?

lurkswithin

Lindsaywrote
I decided to re-install XP. Immediately after, I updated any driver
(I have
them all on CD), then re-installed the DOOM game. All was fine. Th game
showed no problems. So then I continued to re-install a few othe programs.
Then the problem re-occured. I cannot pin-point it

Does anyone have even the slightest idea

Can you uninstall the other programs that you added before the mous
went nuts on you. In a situation like this it would appear to be
driver conflict with some of the other programs that you installed
Trying to determine which one is basically a process of elimination
After removing the other appa see if your problem clears up

If so then install each program one at a time rebooting after eac
installation to see which one is causing the conflict. A pain in th
azz to have to do it

Another way may be to reinstall the mouse drivers and see if tha
helped

Lindsay

It turned out to a combination of my USB 2.0 pcmcia card and my external USB
2.0 hard drive. If I plug the hard drive into the built-in USB 1.1, there is
no problems. Plug into the pcmcia card and the problem is there again.
However, eventually, there comes a time, when unplugging the hard drive
makes no difference. Neither does unplugging the pcmcia card.

It's definitley a driver issue and I will look to see if there's any
up-to-date drivers for the pcmcia card but I don't know who the manufacturer
is (not stated on box). And the hard drive is the same. Drivers for both are
shipped with XP.

If it's a driver conflict problem, is there a way to sort it out as I really
want to keep this pcmcia card?

Lindsay

An update to my last post:

If I plug in the pcmcia card but unplug all USB devices from both USB 1.1
and USB 2.0, everything is fine.
If this is of any importance, both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 share the same IRQ
(10). I have some spare IRQs. If this would cure it, how to I change them?
Or is there something else that can be done?

Lindsay

It seems that changing IRQs isn't possible, but disabling the USB 1.1 ports
also provides a cure. So I will invest in a 4-port pcmcia USB 2.0 card and
maybe a powered hub too. That should solve it once and for all.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Lindsay,

I appreciate your technical skill and glad to see the improvement in this
issue. Since it is turn out to be a driver issue, why not ask the laptop
manufacture for assistance? You can let us know the process during contact
manufacture and I'm glad to provide information.

Have a good day.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.

From: "Lindsay" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Subject: Re: Stuttery mouse and games
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 14:34:16 +0100