Student freeware for writing term papers, etc.?

fitwell

Anyone know of a good source for student freeware, esp. and
specifically something like TakeNote!:
http://store.yahoo.net/takenote/index.html

I'm desperately looking for a tool to help write term papers and other
such written reports. So just a note-taking program would be
completely inadeqaute. I've been searching for hours and this seems
to be the best program so far but it's shareware, which is no good.
I've tried others, too, but they lack outlining, etc., abilities. If
I was going to settle for just some sort of note-taking program, I'd
just stick with WordPerfect. TakeNote! helps to outline one's paper
as well as keep bibliographic references. One seems to be able to
link the data to different places, too.

Hopefully there's some freeware out there for this purpose as well as
other programs to help students. As I said have done a really, really
comprehensive search but all I've found so far is shareware.

*** Pls note, NO to Treepad or other such databases, etc. As noted
above, lots of tools for just taking plain notes en masse. An
organizer for writing papers that ties into the data is required and
Treepad and others would be too cumbersome. As mentioned, I'd just as
soon use WP and other tools I already have.

[...]

Hey, just found one reference in the tons of archives I'm going
through for Scribe. Checking it out today. Sounds promising <fingers
crossed>.

Susan Bugher

fitwell said:
I'm desperately looking for a tool to help write term papers and other
such written reports.

Apps that have been mentioned in ACF are listed here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#1.05Bibliography

Academic Citation Style Guide, Bibibamos, Bibliographix, MLA
Auto-Generator, Scribe

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
Apps that have been mentioned in ACF are listed here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ORGANIZERS.php#1.05Bibliography

Academic Citation Style Guide, Bibibamos, Bibliographix, MLA
Auto-Generator, Scribe

outliner that has gotten good reports in ACF posts:

Program: Tkoutline
Author: Brian Theado
Ware: Freeware (open source: GNU GPL)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tkoutline/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

fitwell said:
I've been searching for hours
As I said have done a really, really
comprehensive search but all I've found so far is shareware.

Geez Fitwell - I think you're working too hard. ;)

IMHO :) a comprehensive search should *start* with the acf program info
pages. Checking the Category page or Googling the ACF directory would
have given you some answers instantly.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

Results 1 - 3 of 3 from www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf for bibliography.
(0.18 seconds)

Results 1 - 4 of 4 from www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf for outline. (0.16
seconds)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

fitwell

Geez Fitwell - I think you're working too hard. ;)

IMHO :) a comprehensive search should *start* with the acf program info
pages. Checking the Category page or Googling the ACF directory would
have given you some answers instantly.

Yes, "been there, done that". It's one of the first places I go to.
Unfortunately, we're only as good as what we ask for. I did not find
very much in the archives, quite frankly.

Also, the programs recommended are good in and of themselves, but they
don't do what TakeNote! does. I'm still hoping there is a program
that takes care of everything all in one as TakeNote! seems to do. It
has the index cards, the outline and the bibliography components all
in one. I think that that's what is going to do the best job for me
as I have several research projects that I started quite a while back.
It will be so much easier to handle it all in one.

That's why the searches have been quite fruitless. I'll just have to
keep plugging away. I now I'll figure out the right term one of these
days so that more pertinent search results come up and I don't have to
sift through endless entries. Until then, will have to continue
juggling paper sources with component apps. Scribe seems interesting
though a bit cumbersome. As a layperson FileMaker developer, it was
neat to see an app like Scribe which is an FM file made into a
standalone. Pretty kewl.

[snips]

Thanks. Really appreciate the tips. I always do searches for apps
through google in the groups section under ACF. You showed me another
way through the PW listings that's a new twist to me. Will be
extremely helpful in future (http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/).

Mike

Also, the programs recommended are good in and of themselves, but they
don't do what TakeNote! does. I'm still hoping there is a program
that takes care of everything all in one as TakeNote! seems to do. It
has the index cards, the outline and the bibliography components all
in one. I think that that's what is going to do the best job for me
as I have several research projects that I started quite a while back.
It will be so much easier to handle it all in one.

If you find one, be sure to let us know here!

Mike

William F. Adams

The best software in this problem-space of which I am aware is LyX,
available at http://www.lyx.org a ``WYSIWYM'' (What You See Is What You
Mean'' document processor.

It has sufficient structure for outlining and integrates w/ BibTeX to
handle bibliographies / references. (You can use JabRef (Java) or
Pybliographer (Python) for a graphical front-end to that aspect).

Runs on Linux and Cygwin on Windows or as an X app in Mac OS X, and the
QT version runs natively in Windows thanks to Ruurd Reitsma's port
(free for non-commercial use) and there's a (somewhat) Aquafied version
using the QT interface for Mac OS X as well.

Although it doesn't have the index cards feature, it accepts pasted in
text quite gracefully, or one can use multiple documents for such.

It'd be a big change, but there's no limit to what it's back-end, LaTeX
can do. (for examples of work done w/ TeX and LaTeX look at the TeX
Showcase, http://www.tug.org/texshowcase).

William