Strange character on sheet prevents correct formatting

G

I have a spreadsheet in 2000, that has the ` character, right in front of all the text in every cell. I know this is a non-showing character. When I try to change my date format from xx/xx/xx to xx/xx/xxxx this character prevents this from happening. If I delete this either in the cell itself or the formula bar the format will then change

My problem is I have another spreadsheet that has this about 500 times and so far I have only been able to do it manually. Can anyone tell me how to remove this on the entire sheet? The only thing I haven't tried is the "clean" command because I didn't quite understand how to do that

Thank you for any help you can provide me

Kath

P

Peo Sjoblom

Copy an empty cell, select the range and do edit>paste special and select
add.
I am assuming that the

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

KMc said:
I have a spreadsheet in 2000, that has the ` character, right in front
of all the text in every cell. I know this is a non-showing character.
When I try to change my date format from xx/xx/xx to xx/xx/xxxx this
character prevents this from happening. If I delete this either in the cell
itself or the formula bar the format will then change.
My problem is I have another spreadsheet that has this about 500 times and
so far I have only been able to do it manually. Can anyone tell me how to
remove this on the entire sheet? The only thing I haven't tried is the
"clean" command because I didn't quite understand how to do that.

G

KMc,
The character you are seeing is used to force a cell format into text. Since the cells are forced into text, changing the number format will not have any effect.

By performing the sequence Peo described you are converting any numbers back into numbers. You may need to set the number format after this is done or your dates will be shown in the general number format, so instead of 01/21/04 you will see 38007. Just reset the number format to a date type to get what you need.

Good Luck,
Mark Graesser
(e-mail address removed)

----- KMc wrote: -----

Peo,

These are definite dates, not in a series. Also this character shows up in "every" cell, but it only seems to make a difference when trying to change the date layout.

thanks,
KMc

G

Have you tried doing "Find" (Ctrl F), then "Replace All". This seems to be the easiest way to me.

P

Peo Sjoblom

It would be if it worked.. It doesn't work.. You would need a macro or if
they are text numbers force them into numbers by calculating with them

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

parallaxviewtoo said:
Have you tried doing "Find" (Ctrl F), then "Replace All". This seems to
be the easiest way to me.

Ask a Question