STOP error: 0x24 (0x190203, 0x865462B8, 0xC102, 0x0)

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down"

"Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag, or backup utilities.
CHeck your hard drive config, etc. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive
corruption, and then restart your computer"

"STOP error: 0x24 (0x190203, 0x865462B8, 0xC102, 0x0)"

I get this message EVERY time I try to boot my computer. It gives me all the
options too:

Safe Mode
Last Known Good Config
Start Normally

NONE of them work...they go for like 2 seconds...then it gives me the BSoD
again and again to no avail...very annoying.

It happened right after I decided to shut off my computer during a
"disk-error checking" session (i told it to run while I was ON windows..I
left-clicked my hard drive and did the whole shebang and told it run the next
time windows booted)...it was taking a rather long time and I decided to just
turn it off, since I figured it didn't mind. When I came back a few minutes
later to turn it on, it gave me the BSoD. I was like "wtf...I did nothing to
provoke this..."

Overall..i'm very confused, and I'm not sure what could provoke this...I
mean, I have Norton Antivirus running...but I doubt that is the problem cause
I got it a month ago and it hasn't given me this sort of problem.

PLEASE HELP!

(thanks)

Rock

[...]

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

It's not a good idea to just turn off the computer, let alone while in the
middle of something as risky as running chkdsk. As the link above indicates
this is a problem with the file system of the drive. Hopefully you have a
full and complete backup of important data just in case. You should always
have this and never run chkdsk without having a full backup.

If you don't have a backup put the drive in another XP computer. If it can
see the data make a copy, then run chkdsk /r on it.

If you have a backup try running chkdsk from the recovery console to see if
that will help. Boot from the XP installation CD, take the first R for
repair. Type in the number for the Windows installation, normally 1, and
then enter the password for the built in Administrator account. You didn't
say if the OS is Home or Pro. For Home this password is normally blank so
press enter. If Pro enter the password assigned to this account.

At the command prompt do chkdsk /r and let it complete. See if it will boot
now.

Gerry Cornell

This link adds some extra suggestions to those provided by Rock.
Not all are easy to try by a less experienced user. Posting copies
of Event Viewer Reports could make it easier to help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d..._299217d6-98d1-4d1d-8068-883e89933845.xml.asp
if link broken try
http://snipurl.com/l6o7

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the error, information
regarding Event ID, Source and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer. Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report
into the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event
Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, i ran chkdsk /r several times, and nothing happened...it still woulnd't
reboot...i did it like 9 times...very dissapointing...i'll have to lose my
entire Shankar collection i just commited to harddrive from cd....ROAR....i
dont' know what to do now...any other last-ditch attempts to save my comp?!

Rock

Well, i ran chkdsk /r several times, and nothing happened...it still
woulnd't
reboot...i did it like 9 times...very dissapointing...i'll have to lose my
entire Shankar collection i just commited to harddrive from
cd....ROAR....i
dont' know what to do now...any other last-ditch attempts to save my
comp?!

You could try to read the drive by booting with a Bart PE CD or a Linux
bootable CD like Knoppix. You could send the drive for data recovery to one
of the data recovery services such as driver savers or ontrack.

Always have a full and complete backup of anything on a hard drive of value.

You could try a repair install:

Gerry Cornell

Try the chkdsk /F option instead of chkdsk /R option.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"helpless BSoD victim" <[email protected]>

Gerry Cornell

Rock

Uninstall and reinstall might be the solution but I wanted
to know more about the error before making suggestions.
A strange feature of this dll is that only one copy is put on
the system. No back up copy. Is this common?

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rock

Gerry Cornell said:
Try the chkdsk /F option instead of chkdsk /R option.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"helpless BSoD victim" <[email protected]>
wrote in message

/R includes /F.

Rock

Rock

Uninstall and reinstall might be the solution but I wanted
to know more about the error before making suggestions.
A strange feature of this dll is that only one copy is put on
the system. No back up copy. Is this common?

What .dll Gerry?

Gerry Cornell

Good question Rock <g>!

I think I intended posting in another thread where you are also
involved.

This is the dll -iertutil.dll

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rock

"Gerry Cornell"wrote
Good question Rock <g>!

I think I intended posting in another thread where you are also
involved.

This is the dll -iertutil.dll

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lol..Ok.

Rock

Rock

This documentation does not appear to support you:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

However, I know that Microsoft documentation is
misleading at times. I have found other less
authorative links probably written more recently
supporting you.
"Rock" wrote

Yes I've seen that one. It doesn't address it directly. But some of the
others do. For example,
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/c28621675.mspx
Run it on one of your drives.

Gerry Cornell

Rock

Yes I can see the references to support you.

BTW the error message actually suggested chkdsk /f.

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry Cornell

And the answer to my question?

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rock

And the answer to my question?

"Rock" wrote

That's associated with IE7. I really don't have any knowledge of that
program. That's why, if I remember the thread, I directed them to the
internet explorer newsgroup.

Rock

Rock

Yes I can see the references to support you.

BTW the error message actually suggested chkdsk /f.
"Rock" wrote

We always believe what the error messages tell us to do, right? :) Since
/r includes /f, it was just taking it a step further and making sure there
were no bad sectors that could have contributed to the problem developing.

I have exactly the same problem, literally down to the last bit of the code
in the thread name. If one of those solutions worked BSoD victim, I think it
would be wise to either post a reply saying if it did or not or accept one of
the replys. Thank you :p