Stop error 0x0000007B

Aaron Stamboulieh

I have a client with a Dell 8400 Windows XP computer. Recently, on boot, he
received:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789E524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have since tried everything, including replacing the hard drive,
motherboard, video card, memory, CD drives, SATA cables and removing all
other PCI cards. With a clean install of Windows XP, the installation works
fine until the first reboot, then the message reappears. I am completely
stumped as to how this message can continue to appear with virtually every
piece except the CPU changed. Does anybody have any ideas?

Aaron Stamboulieh
-MCSE

Gerry

Aaron

Background information on Stop Error message

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the
startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers
when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.
Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

The Power Supply Unit is not on your list!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morgan che

Dear Aaron,

Thanks for using this newsgroup, and also thanks Gerry for the assistance
with this issue.

Based on the situation you have launched a clear installation of Window XP
and the error message still remains, I'd think this issue is in regard to
hardware problem, inappropriate drivers or BIOS setting.

When researching on Dell website, I found a page with resolution of this
issue. For the convenience, I abstract it from Dell official website below:

==========

The following error message appears on a blue screen when starting a Dell
Dimension 8400 computer or a Dell XPS Gen3 computer:

Stop 0x0000007B (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3,
parameter4)INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This problem occurs if incorrect Serial ATA (SATA) controller Redundant
Array of Inexpensive Disks (RAID) settings are set in the computer Basic
Input Output System (BIOS).

Specifically, this problem occurs if one of the following conditions is
true:

The Drive Controller setting in the BIOS was set to RAID Autodetect / AHCI
when the operating system was installed, and then the Drive Controller
setting was changed to RAID Autodetect / ATA.

The Drive Controller setting in the BIOS was set to RAID Autodetect / ATA
when the operating system was installed, and then the Drive Controller
setting was changed to RAID Autodetect / AHCI.

Changing the Drive Controller setting from AHCI to ATA or changing the
setting from ATA to AHCI causes an error to occur when Windows tries to
start. This behavior occurs because Windows uses a different driver for the
AHCI setting than it does for the ATA setting.

To resolve this issue, restore the Drive Controller settings in the
computer BIOS to the original setting. This article contains step-by-step
instructions to perform this action.

Solution:
==========

Start the computer, and then press <F2> to enter the Setup program.

Use the <Arrow> to select Drives, and then press <Enter> to expand the
Drives node.

Use the <Arrow> to select Drive Controller:

If the Drive Controller setting is RAID Autodetect/AHCI, set Drive
Controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA.

If the Drive Controller setting is set to RAID Autodetect/AHCI, set Drive
Controller to RAID Autodetect/ATA.

This message is also published at
(http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?
c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=DE4083283DED08F9E030A68F27287910&doclang=en&c
s=)

For the more detailed information, please visit this link.

Please try this steps, if this issue still remains, I would like to suggest
you contact the hardware provider at www.dell.com.

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: "Aaron Stamboulieh" <[email protected]>
--->Subject: Stop error 0x0000007B
--->Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:36:19 -0500
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
--->
[...]

Hello,

How's everything going?

I'm wondering if the suggestion was helpful or if you need any further
questions.

Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist further.

Sincerely
Morgan Che
Microsoft Online Support

--->From: "Aaron Stamboulieh" <[email protected]>
--->Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:36:19 -0500
--->Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
--->
[...]

nick1966

Morgan,

I also have the exact same problem as Aaron. However, I followed the
instructions from the Dell website and the problem is not fixed.

I cannot load XP at all. My stop error is 0x0000007b (0xf789e524,
0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Thank you for your help

Gerry

Nick

Background information on Stop Error message

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the
startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers
when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.
Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

What changes were made to hardware / software prior to running Disk
CleanUp?

What is your position regarding a Windows XP CD? Does the CD include
SP2?

What is the computer make and model?

One of the suggestions in the first link is to run chkdsk but if you try
this be warned you can cause further file corruption as well as solve
the problem. If you have important data files you need to back these up
first. This can often be done by placing the hard drive in a second
computer as a slave there obviating the need to boot from the
problematic drive.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nick1966

After 10 hours of nothing, I found the fix.

when reinstalling with my XP SP2 CD, apparently the driver for the hard
drive controller was not able to be "auto-detected." i downloaded the
correct driver to a floppy and then installed it by pressing F6. THEN (The
key thing i was not doing all day) I REINSTALLED windows again. only after
that combination was i able to get my computer working. i am exhausted!

Gerry

Nick

Thanks for reporting the outcome.

You do not say how you identified the driver. This is the tricky bit.
Can you please clarify this point as it will help others who read this
thread.

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tat Sol

Hi i'm having the same stop error during boot up. "0x0000007B (0xF789E524,
0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)"

I'm not sure what I did but, I have tried using chkdsk but it still gived me
the same BSoD message.

OS: Win Xp
Motherboard: Biostar TA690G
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 2500AAKS

Thanks in advance.

Tat Sol

That does not help me at all! Some of the links are dead aswell. If I repair
the Windows isntallation on the partition, are all my original programs and
files intact?

Tat Sol

The "Should not" part concerns me.. so you're saying that generally speaking,
it does not affect user data, it just reinstalls files in C:\WINDOWS ? hmm.