still problems with registry and files

MarkP

Hi...again.

I mentioned earlier a problem on a laptop under the thread 'Urgent help with
registry editor'. Thanks to Pegasus, Uncle John, Rick and Jason. However, I
still cannot run regedit and in the windows directory (system32) I only have
regedt32.exe. This is also the same on my working desktop.

If I try and run regedt32.exe nothing happens which is the same if I try and
run anything on the PC. All desktop icons have a .lnk extension and I found
the following pages when I goggled the problem but I need access to registry
to try and fix it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q172053/

and

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21372426.html

Any ideas gratefully received.

The system is (or was :)) running XP home SP2

Many thanks.

David Candy

regedt32 starts regedit. Howevewr regedit is in Windows not System32 (for compatability reasons). Type sfc /scannow if it ain't there.

There are command line editors too. Type reg /? in a command prompt.

DL

So you have no regedit.exe in the Windows folder? (NB regedit not regedt)
Double clicking on regedt32.exe doesnt fire the app?

MarkP

Hi,

No isn't doesn't start as the system has lost all file associations. It
doesn't know what to do with .exe files.

Sorry, regedit.exe is in windows directory but as I say it wont run as it
doesn't know what it is.

MarkP

Hi , see my answer to DL please.

Thanks for helping.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
regedt32 starts regedit. Howevewr regedit is in Windows not System32 (for
compatability reasons). Type sfc /scannow if it ain't there.

There are command line editors too. Type reg /? in a command prompt.

David Candy

Start it in a command prompt. It doesn't care about File Associations. Ctrl + Alt + Delete, File menu - Ctrl + New Task (Run)

Should give you a command prompt (which is an exe after all) without using file associations as well.

MarkP

Hi David,

I managed to run it from safe mode and have used a few registry file
association fixes from this website -

only half the system is working as I still cant get to system restore in the
control panel.

Looks like I'll have to try and get data off and reformat.

Thanks.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Start it in a command prompt. It doesn't care about File Associations. Ctrl
+ Alt + Delete, File menu - Ctrl + New Task (Run)

Should give you a command prompt (which is an exe after all) without using
file associations as well.

David Candy

%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe

Will run System Restore. System Restore isn't in Control Panel. It's Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools

What is you actual problem, and its history.