Still No PSU

CSB

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope your all having a good start to the new year ?. Well I'm still dithering which PSU to get, I like the look of the Antec CP 850W + CP 1000W (The latter might be overkill, any harm using more than you need ?).

But then I know Corsair PSU's have been rated very well aswell, I saw another site (must have read and watched a thousand reviews by now).

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/industry/2009/10/09/antec-power-supplies-achieve-lowest-defecti/1

Claims Antec was awared the least returned PSU's and gives percentages of Antec and other brands returns as you'll see.

No PSU is perfect but with high end components in the case, I want to limit the risk of the PSU causing any damage. as they say, the PSU is the heart and with a dodgy heart it's certainly risking stability.

I want either a Hybrid modular like the Antec CP, or a fully Modular as long as its resistance rating is good.

What should I do ???

Rob

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Don't go too crazy on the size, if its too big you'll be using it outside the range that its most efficient in

I'd go for a modular 5-600W from any of the decent manufacturers, its unlikely you'll get a dodgy one from any of them

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w for shizzle

If not, then a Corsair one, but seriously Coolermaster silent pro 850w ^^

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, deffinately no need to go above 850W and that should be ok even if I add 2 Gfx cards in SLI mode in future, although theres not much more of a performance upgrade there.

Especially if you've already got a single GPU Asus 580.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
850w is definatly an overkill, you could easily get away with 600w, even with the GTX 580. Though if you plan to Sli the 580 with another i'd have at least a 700w with those power hungry nvidia beasts. The GTX 580 is a killer card, your comp is gonna chew games up no probs!

CSB

Reaction score
Thanks again to all, well custompc mag claims the 580 should give gamers about 2 years of running games no problems, time will tell if thats true.

Wouldn't do any harm though would it if there was an 850W PSU in the system ?. is going into the Antec 1200 case, will be quite a few case fans going, plus 2 on the HSF as its the Noctua NH-D14.

Will have the OS on a SSD, and probably 2 1TB SATA Hard Disks for storage. will get a couple of cathodes for extra lighting aswell even though the case fans have blue lights.

2 Optical drives, don't know wether to get a Blu Ray drive and DVD Rewriteable or just stick with the 1 drive, why do people have more than 1 optical drive anyway ? especially if the first drive can do all i.e Blu Ray.

The system would look bare though with only 1 optical, 1 hard drive etc.

Just how much faster does an SSD drive open OS applications anyway ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Corsair > All others. ;)

Seconded.

I have a sense of deja vu here, couldda sworn we've answered some of these questions before :D

650 or 850 watt Corsair roolz, full stop.

There are very very few computer magazine reviews you can trust and the same goes for some online tech sites. Many are into payola/backhanders/greased palms and some just like to stir trouble with, for instance, that crap about modular PSU connections being iffy.

What you hear from members here is a combination of experience, honesty and to some extent gathering information online.

CSB

Reaction score
Did I mention I have problems making up my mind ?
icon10.gif
. I did say I was a pain in the arse floppybootstomp lol.

Will give Corsair a go then me thinks, looked at a few already.

PSU 1

PSU 2

PSU 3

PSU 4 which I'm no longer going for

Right !, I've got work tomorrow. I work every sunday, think of me everyone whilst your sitting in your chair relaxing with a nice drink of your choice lol.

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
CSB said:
Wouldn't do any harm though would it if there was an 850W PSU in the system ?
Just how much faster does an SSD drive open OS applications anyway ?

Puttin an 850w PSU in any system wouldnt hurt, even a 200mhz celeron! It can just be a waste sometimes if your not going to take full advantage of it, but with the spec of your system your building it wont be too much of a waste, plus if will give you breathing room for Sli

A SSD will make your computer boot up silly fast, i've read some peoples computers boot up in less than 10 seconds with a ssd.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Out of the PSU's you listed i'd go for the third one - the HX 750.

SSD's are great, not cheap but great for boot times etc. My PC boots in the region of 20-30 seconds, would be even faster but the UD5 has a very extensive POST which takes at least 15 seconds, its shuts down in about 4 seconds. :)

I'm still looking at getting a 580, but they seem to have gone up in price as they aren't many about at the moment.... :(

CSB

Reaction score
Well I'm pretty certain I'll be going for the 750W then as long as you guys think its more than enough to power many case fans, i7 950, Asus GTX 580, Asus Sabertooth mobo, 6GB Corsair GT Dominator ram in Tri channel, 2 SATA 1TB Hard Disks for storage. 1 SSD Drive for OS, 2 optical drives and a floppy (although you can't seem to buy a floppy now thats not USB), Seperate sound card maybe and a couple of cathodes. then a partridge in a pear tree lol.

Or this 850W (Please note the site which I'll never buy from again, the link is only reference to the product and I just couldn't be bothered to find another site with the 850W version yet. although I think the reviews are carefully selected by OCUK, they rarely like to post one that gets a thumbs down or low stars

I promise I'll shut up about PSU's.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You're right about OCUK being selective about the reviews, they do let a few through that may be mildly critical but they won't publish the ones that will discourage sales.

A whiles ago I sent a review of an Asus sound card saying it was a fine sounding card and worked with most things but it would not work with any Bethesda games - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 being the games in question I couldn't run.

OCUK did not publish it.

The 750 or the 850, both good, make your choice by budget. 750 will cope admirably but it never hurts to have a little extra.

CSB

Reaction score
Well I'm not surprised they didn't publish your review floppybootstomp, they've certainly shown me their true self and I've ripped away their disguise.

I just hope other people do aswell and see them for what they are, which isn't much.

I could afford a 850W PSU but would that extra 100W cause more heat to be dumped into the case ?

I might go for the fully modular Gold Series Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK 850W PSU, apparently it also comes with a 7 year warrenty so some peace of mind there also I think, what do you think ?.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CSB said:
I could afford a 850W PSU but would that extra 100W cause more heat to be dumped into the case ?

Nope.

What extra heat?

Current generates heat, current drawn will generate roughly the same heat from a 500w PSU as a 1000w PSU, depending on design.

In fact a higher rated PSU will probably generate less heat cos it's built a bit chunkier.

fussy boy said:
I might go for the fully modular Gold Series Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK 850W PSU, apparently it also comes with a 7 year warrenty so some peace of mind there also I think, what do you think ?.

Looks good to me. Expensive. Possibly overkill but if you can afford it then by all means buy it.

CSB

Reaction score
Charged with being a "fussy boy", I don't know, what next, OCUK giving great after sales service ? lol

I thought I was being charming
icon10.gif

Ok ok, I know I've been a pest, I'm like a wasp in summer, iritating and always end up in your ice cream

Seriously though, if you knew me personally, you'd realise just how much I value all your help. the PSU subject is now officially closed I promise.

But ...... what about ....., only joking, I wouldn't dare, I can see floppybootstomp about to swat me with a newspaper lol.

Thanks to everyone.

Ask a Question