Stereotypes about women in the gaming community

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I read an interesting article today regarding perceptions about women who play computer games - the TLDR version is that women make up almost half of gamers and are just as competent as men. Well, we knew that already eh @Taffycat? :thumb:

The stereotype that women are inferior gamers is not only false, but could also make women more easily discouraged and less likely to play in the first place. Of course, this gender performance stereotype exists in a number of other contexts. In the software development community GitHub, for example, women are perceived as worse coders than men.

Our research has notable implications for this important social issue. Studies have shown that video games can be an important gateway to science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields. If stereotypes about girls and women are preventing them from playing, then it could potentially contribute to preexisting gender inequality and stereotyping in these fields.

https://theconversation.com/debunki...pes-about-women-in-the-gaming-community-60033

:user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hmmm, I actually play online games with more women than men ... 4-3 :)

(and the really annoying thing is ... )

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I thought I was pretty sh*t hot at F1 2015 ( PC ) until I played my mates wife Mandy. She was a full 3 seconds faster than me.:eek::eek::eek:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There's many, many women playing games out there. They can make a lot of money out of it haha, just look at all the women TwitchTV 'gamers'. :eek:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Glad to see sexism doesn't exist here! You guys are awesome :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Glad to see sexism doesn't exist here! You guys are awesome :thumb:
Hear-hear!

But in-game chat channels are filled with people who always refer to other players as "He" "Him" and "Dude" so I guess there is still a fairly strong assumption (in some games anyway,) that everyone is male. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What's all this about? Stuff and nonsense I say, of course the female of the species is rubbish at games and coding simply because she's a girlie.

It's patently obvious a good woman should know her place in life, abstain from playing computer games as it's a mans' world, accept lower wages than the superior man and do a girls' proper job, such as waitressing, chamber maid or check out girl.

A womans' place in life is to serve her man and as soon as she realises that the better. Females playing computer games indeed - pah! That's just silly.

Ask a Question