Stepping up from HP 970 to HP 2515 -- Ink Costs & Photo Quality

Discussion in 'Printers' started by Ray Price, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Ray Price

    Ray Price Guest

    I'm intrigued by the new HP 2515 having built in Networking and supposedly
    improved photo printing over my 970.

    Does anyone have a feel for:

    1. Is the photo printing significantly better than the 970? I thought both
    the 970 and the 2515 have Photo RET III. Althought the 2515 evidently also
    supports RET IV with a photo cartridge.

    2. Difference in cost per page or print life of the 2515? The 2515
    cartridges seem to be signficantly smaller than the 970 cartridges. The
    cost doesn't seem to be as high for the 2515 carts, but if I have to replace
    them twice as often, then I'm not really saving anything.

    3. Does the 2515 gracefully handle fast user switching for the scanner? My
    visioneer constantly locks up when I switch user IDs and I have to reboot
    before I can access the printer.

    Any other feedback on the 2515/2415 would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Ray.

    Ray Price, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Ray Price

    xNokia3390x Guest

    "Ray Price" <> wrote in message
    > 1. Is the photo printing significantly better than the 970? I thought

    both
    > the 970 and the 2515 have Photo RET III. Althought the 2515 evidently

    also
    > supports RET IV with a photo cartridge.

    I have a PhotoREt III printer (DeskJet 930c) and PhotoREt IV (Photosmart
    7350). Photo printing is significantly better on the Photosmart in either
    mode.

    > 2. Difference in cost per page or print life of the 2515? The 2515
    > cartridges seem to be signficantly smaller than the 970 cartridges. The
    > cost doesn't seem to be as high for the 2515 carts, but if I have to

    replace
    > them twice as often, then I'm not really saving anything.

    I use my Photosmart 7350 strictly for photos. Ink consumption doesn't seem
    particularly high -- I've been running on the original 56/57/58 cartridges.
    The color is running out just now, about eleven months since I purchased the
    printer. I've printed at least 40 4x6's and a couple 8x10's -- and also a
    few documents with pictures. I use a combination of all the cartridges.
    Color is at about 15%, photo at 45% and black at 50%.

    xNokia3390x, Nov 3, 2003