Starting a Thread takes too long

Cor

Strand,

Only in addition to Armin, my own practise is that I never use a Dim on
global level, not even in a module.

(And you cannot use the other Accessors in a method)

If you have done that twice than you understand direct the meaning why.

Cor

"StrandElectric" wrote in message

Armin Zingler said:
Am 16.01.2011 11:33, schrieb StrandElectric:

Nice to hear. Well done! What's next? :)

Since you insist(!)... Please SIMPLE answers to

1 Is 'Private' the same as 'Dim'? Are the words interchangeable?

2 Is scoping of variables the same as in vb6? ie if I dimension as
variable in a subroutine is it valid only for that subroutine; in a form
valid for the whole form?

3 Do I have to erase an array after use to release memory? Destroy does
not seem to work.

4 Do I have to erase (or destroy) variables after use in a sub (say at
the end) or is it automatic in a sub based declaration?

5 What is the significance of the word 'Protected' before some subs?

That should do for now!

Cor

Would not be helpful as it was in the help, it does nothing.
Sorry it does the same as nothing in a method.
Sorry setting to nothing means nothing for an object.

So writing nothing does miss nothing.

:)

Cor

"Armin Zingler" wrote in message
Am 17.01.2011 18:13, schrieb Nobody:
You can use Erase statement, just like in VB6, to release memory used by
arrays.

I know, but I was curious how Mr.Strand would do it.
Erase Statement (Visual Basic)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/83zyeke9(VS.80).aspx

For some reason it's not in VB2008 Express help...

MSFT MSDN Express Library -> VB Express -> Reference (VB) -> VB reference ->
keywords

Cor

A little one, because I've read the thread again.

One of the main things of managed code is managing the used memory.
If you don't rely on it and do it yourself, than the chance on a memory leak
is high.

Armin Zingler said:
Am 16.01.2011 11:33, schrieb StrandElectric:

Nice to hear. Well done! What's next? :)

Since you insist(!)... Please SIMPLE answers to

1 Is 'Private' the same as 'Dim'? Are the words interchangeable?

2 Is scoping of variables the same as in vb6? ie if I dimension as
variable in a subroutine is it valid only for that subroutine; in a form
valid for the whole form?

3 Do I have to erase an array after use to release memory? Destroy does
not seem to work.

4 Do I have to erase (or destroy) variables after use in a sub (say at
the end) or is it automatic in a sub based declaration?

5 What is the significance of the word 'Protected' before some subs?

That should do for now!

Armin Zingler

Am 17.01.2011 19:40, schrieb Cor:
Only in addition to Armin, my own practise is that I never use a Dim on
global level, not even in a module.

I've written this too (because I never remember what the default access level
is if I write 'Dim' only), but as I'm hardly trying to keep it short, I
removed it.

:)

Armin Zingler

Am 17.01.2011 19:43, schrieb Cor:
Would not be helpful as it was in the help, it does nothing.
Sorry it does the same as nothing in a method.
Sorry setting to nothing means nothing for an object.

So writing nothing does miss nothing.

:)

But if the method runs longer after the Erase, the array
is free for GC, isn't it? However I would use "var=Nothing"
instead (if at all).

Nobody

Armin Zingler said:
Am 17.01.2011 18:13, schrieb Nobody:

I know, but I was curious how Mr.Strand would do it.

MSFT MSDN Express Library -> VB Express -> Reference (VB) -> VB
reference -> keywords

I meant it's not in the help's Index.