    uncheck everything else. In other words bare bones start up. When nwe
    want to use the unchecked programs, how do we do it manually. TIA
    XP Home

    Rocky 2, Jun 8, 2004

  2. In news:,
    Rocky 2 <> typed:

    > What programs must be included in the start up,

    As far as Windows is concerned, nothing. THe only things needed
    are those *you* need. Things like your anti-virus program,
    firewall, etc., are obvious, but you'll need to evaluate the
    others for yourself.

    > and is it safe to
    > uncheck everything else.

    It's safe, but I wouldn't do it. What you should do is determine
    what each program is, what its value is to you, and what the cost
    in performance is of its running all the time. You can get more
    information about these with google searches and by asking about
    specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    > In other words bare bones start up. When nwe
    > want to use the unchecked programs, how do we do it manually.

    Just as you do any other program--run it from a desktop shortcut,
    from Start | Programs, or find the exe file in My Computer and
    run it from there.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Rocky 2

    Rocky 2 Guest

    Re: start up programs {Ken}{oneheli}

    Thanks Ken for your very detailed explanation.
    And thank you oneheli for that url, I sent it along to the pc.

    Rocky 2, Jun 9, 2004
  4. Re: start up programs {Ken}{oneheli}

    In news:,
    Rocky 2 <> typed:

    > Thanks Ken for your very detailed explanation.
    > And thank you oneheli for that url, I sent it along to the pc.

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken Blake, MVP, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Rocky 2

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for this post, I have a similar question: I have a program that I do
    not want to open when my computer starts up, but I don't know where to
    "uncheck" it, as Rocky 2 has mentioned. Can someone let me know where I can
    go to determine which programs to start and which to stop? Thanks!

    Guest, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Rocky 2

    Vinay Sastry Guest

    Click on start -> run type in msconfig and click ok. Under the startup tab
    you should be able to see the list of items that run on startup.

    Unchech the one you dont want to start

    --
    Cheers,
    Vinay

    order is merely the prevailing form of chaos

    Vinay Sastry, Sep 5, 2004