start button keyboard shortcut

Jimmy S.

Hi!

To disable the Windows Logo key before starting your game
can be done by altering a value in the registry, which can then
be changed back after your game is over. Before we start we
want to backup that area of your registry, just as a precaution:

Click Start / RUN / type: regedt32 and press ENTER
Use the left column to navigate to the following section:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
Right-Click on that key (folder), and "export" it to My Documents.

Now that we have a safe backup, you'll need to create (or modify)
a new "Binary Value" Named "Scancode Map" (without the quotes)
Value Data: [Enter Exactly as Shown Below]
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0 00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00

You need to reboot in order for the change to take effect though.
Now after you play the game, just delete that Value to enable the
Start key again. I've created two files that you can use to automate
the process. Copy/Save both of them using Notepad, and when you
want to disable your Start key, double-click the NoStartKey.reg file,
and it will make those changes to your registry. Reboot, and after you
finish your game you can double-click the StartKey.reg file to enable the
Start key again. Each file is between the double lines. Hope this helps!

=================== NoStartKey.reg ==================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,5b,e0,00,00,5c,e0,\
00,00,00,00
==================== StartKey.reg ===================
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,5b,e0,00,00,5c,e0,\
00,00,00,00

Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| How do you disable the start button keyboard shortcut
| while playing games?

Jimmy S.

Glad to be of service! :)