    or something like that. Can anyone help? (maybe if I could memorize the
    keystrokes to enable the driver that would work - lol) I'm desperate - we're
    a small non-profit and I've rendered our only computer useless!

    Annabananamc, Jun 24, 2008

  2. Annabananamc

    R. McCarty Guest

    Did you try 2 of the Safe Mode boot optional mode(s):
    Last Known working configuration
    Enable VGA mode

    R. McCarty, Jun 24, 2008

  3. Annabananamc

    Annabananamc Guest

    yes, same thing - I also tried booting in debug mode. and with command
    prompt. I think the problem is that with VGA mode, that is the driver I
    disabled. We don't have a video card on this pc, so that is really the only
    driver that could work.

    I just don't know where to go next with this one....

    isn't there a way to boot where you step through the driver loading one line
    at a time?

    Annabananamc, Jun 24, 2008
  4. Annabananamc

    R. McCarty Guest

    You may want to try the procedure in this KB article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
    *Hopefully your machine has and is using System Restore

    R. McCarty, Jun 24, 2008
  5. Annabananamc

    Annabananamc Guest

    Thanks, I'll try that. I do not know about the System Restore as this was a
    donated computer and the donor has no clue about anything (sometimes free is
    VERY expensive!)

    I was able to get into repair mode/command prompt so at least I have some
    access to the disk drive. Not that I know what to do with it - lol

    <rant>I am about ready to throw in the towel. I actually used to know a lot
    about computers - CS degree and working on them since 1980, but XP has just
    about wiped out any confidence I had in understanding what is going on.
    </rant>

    Annabananamc, Jun 24, 2008
  6. Annabananamc

    Annabananamc Guest

    ok, now I can navigate to this directory

    systemroot\system32\restore

    and I can see this file in there

    rstrui.exe

    but how do I get it to run? If I type rstrui.exe or run rstrui I get a
    command unknown message....

    Annabananamc, Jun 24, 2008
  7. Annabananamc

    sgopus Guest

    using command shell you would have to change to that directory in order to
    run the exe.

    ie run cmd cd/ yadda yadda yadda

    sgopus, Jun 24, 2008
  8. Annabananamc

    Annabananamc Guest

    well poop - I wasn't really in the command shell, I was in the Recovery
    Console from my install CD....

    I think I'm going to need a break here. I am fairly certain that what I
    need to do is re-enable the standard VGA driver but have no clue where to
    start and I'm driving blind. Hope I can find a way to do this from the
    Recovery Console or something else.

    Thanks for being so patient with me - any additional ideas are welcome!

    Annabananamc, Jun 24, 2008
  9. Annabananamc

    3c273 Guest

    See if this page helps. You should be able to type "enable vga" at the
    recovery console but I'm not sure this will undo your mistake.
    Louis

    3c273, Jun 24, 2008
  10. Annabananamc

    3c273 Guest

    Oops! Forgot link :)
    http://www.elitesolutions.info/SmarterTicket/Customer/KBArticle.aspx?articleid=292
    Louis

    3c273, Jun 24, 2008
  11. Annabananamc

    Annabananamc Guest

    Thanks - this I think is heading in the right direction. However, I could
    not enable vga as a service because it couldn't find it in the registry,
    which is probably my main problem.

    I'm about to go buy a video card for this thing and see if it hiccups me
    into plug n play mode and lets me reset the video driver....unless anyone has
    a better idea!

    You guys are so helpful, I am really appreciative, just a bit cranky about
    this whole thing in general.

    Annabananamc, Jun 25, 2008
  12. If you really think that a disabled driver is the problem then from the
    Recovery Console use the the LISTSVC command to see available drivers
    and services and use the ENABLE command to enable services or drivers.

    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

    John

    John John (MVP), Jun 25, 2008
  13. Annabananamc

    Annabananamc Guest

    "John John (MVP)" wrote:
    Thanks John:

    When I do this, there is no service called vga listed. It's just not there.
    From what I've read, it should be. There really isn't any other video
    related service listed, except SafeVga, and that is enabled.

    I cannot even boot in safe mode, it hangs. I cannot do any of those options
    (safe mode w/command prompt, etc)

    I tried adding a PCI video card and same problem. I got a new sound, the
    found new hardware sound, but can't see to work through that either.

    Some day I will learn to trust that little 'are you sure?' feeling BEFORE I
    hit the button!

    I am hoping we can get to some restore point with some whiz bangy utilities.

    Thanks again,
    Ann

    Annabananamc, Jun 25, 2008
  14. Annabananamc

    sgopus Guest

    Try a repair install, it should do the trick, boot to the windows install cd
    and select repair (at the proper time).

    sgopus, Jun 25, 2008