Stand Alone Spreadsheet & Database apps

Bob Newman

I am looking for 2 programs. A spreadsheet (Excel compatible would be nice
but not necessary) and a small database program. Neither need to be very
sophisticated. I used the phrase stand alone because I would like to be
able to run them from my USB thumb drive while hooked to various computers
so all files would have to be self-contained and not dependent on any
installation files on the host computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance... Bob

Jody Holmes

Quoting Bob Newman on 11/5/2004 (3:42:57 PM):
A spreadsheet (Excel compatible would be nice
but not necessary) and a small database program. Neither need to be
very sophisticated. I used the phrase stand alone because I would
like to be able to run them from my USB thumb drive while hooked to
various computers so all files would have to be self-contained and
not dependent on any installation files on the host computer.

Give 'Table' a look for a small self-contained DB prog:

http://zgs.de.ms/

omega

Jody Holmes said:
Give 'Table' a look for a small self-contained DB prog:

http://zgs.de.ms/

This is not freeware. It was erroneously listed on freeware sites when
it first came out, and maybe still is at a few. The developer has since
then made it more clear on his website, that it is shareware. It is not
free for use beyond a "try-before-buy" period.

stonecypher

Bob Newmanwrote:
I am looking for 2 programs. A spreadsheet (Excel compatible would
be nice
but not necessary) and a small database program. /snip

Spread 32 is compatible with Excel, and it works very well; however,
it is nagware. Every time you open or save, there is a popup saying
"This copy of Spread 32 is shareware. For a registered version
please visit www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk" This can be very
annoying if you use it a lot. The perfect solution is one of our
pricelessware apps, PTFB, that will automatically zap those popups.
Spread32 - http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/
PTFB - download 1.06.4 (2003-12) (PTFB1064.zip) (461 KB)
http://www.tlhouse.co.uk/PTFBPro/PTFB1064.zip

Canetoad

This is not freeware. It was erroneously listed on freeware sites when
it first came out, and maybe still is at a few. The developer has since
then made it more clear on his website, that it is shareware. It is not
free for use beyond a "try-before-buy" period.

Is the link above the author's site? I was not sure.

There is a link on the site to register Table, and without following it
through, it looks like money is involved.

However, when installing the program, the licence clearly says that the
program is free to use at any time and there doesn't seems to be any
time limitation.

omega

Canetoad said:
Is the link above the author's site? I was not sure.

Yes, it is. He has two sites. One for English, one for Russian. The BeAr
contacted the author, and got clarification.

: From: "B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson" <[email protected]>
: Subject: Re: Fully Configurable Database Program
: Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:40:46 +0200
:
: I contacted the author Grigory Zhmulevsky and got a prompt answer. Thank
: you very much for this, Grigory!
:
: Table is freeware for the Russian version, while it is shareware for the
: English. The English version has a nagscreen:
:
: | It will work all the time, and after 40 days of use, it will show
: | a message (remind) "Please register" on every program start, but
: | the program will still work.
There is a link on the site to register Table, and without following it
through, it looks like money is involved.

I went back to check the site a couple of weeks ago, and came back satisfied
that it now looks clear wrt indicating the shareware nature of the product.
However, when installing the program, the licence clearly says that the
program is free to use at any time and there doesn't seems to be any
time limitation.

My install was v2.02. I don't know if there is a later one. It didn't have
a license. Just a readme, which did fail to say anything in the matter
of freeware or shareware. In the Help>About Menu, this has a "Register..."
dialog. Checked right now, and it goes to a dead link, <zgs.de.ms/table_reg.html>.
He would do better to fix these things in an update product. Unless he has
already. (I'm not interested in purchasing, so will not be downloading
anything new.) My one other note on my 2.02: It does indeed engage in
behavior for tracking time, in order to set in nags about purchasing...

Any case, it's definitely shareware.

I'd have been interested to watch its development (in current state it has
serious limits, but I like its overall category of functions)...if it were
freeware. And, well, who knows, maybe the developer might end up one day
changing his mind, and open the doors to us.

omega

[minor update]

I've just found out that right now, the site is totally down. Likely temporary.
But curious if happens to turn out to have longer meaning.
My install was v2.02. I don't know if there is a later one. It didn't have
a license.

I have to post correction. I had the license.txt file hidden from myself in
a subfolder. Now I see what you are reading. "You may use this software during
any period of time." That's unpleasantly sloppy, IMO, to have such a license
bundled with a shareware program. One coded to track your time, and to start
nagging about purchase after 40 days.

Bob Newman

I just saw the footnote that says the shareware version is free with no
expiration date. How is that shareware??????????

Bob

Onno Tasler

Bob Newman scribebat:
I just saw the footnote that says the shareware version is free with no
expiration date. How is that shareware??????????

Easy, you may share it with your friends, and, if you like it, you ought to
pay the author. But the author does not restrict the usage to force you to
pay, because he believes that you are a good person.