SSD storage news

Reaction score

"With the industry’s fastest NAND I/O speed of 2.4 gigabytes per second (GB/s), Micron's 232-layer NAND delivers the low-latency and high-throughput requirements of data-centric workloads, such as artificial intelligence, unstructured databases, real-time analytics, and cloud computing.1

1NAND I/O speed is 1.6GB/s at the time of market introduction"

"

Data Density​

World's densest NAND offers customers design flexibility while enabling the highest TLC density per square millimeter ever produced at 14.6 Gb/mm2. The areal density is between 35% and 100% greater than competing TLC products.2

2Based on comparison of NAND currently shipping at time of announcement"

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to SSD prices coming down. It seemed for a long time that storage prices were just tumbling to incredible levels, but that has slowed significantly more recently. I wonder if we're just not using much more data than we were 5/10 years ago, so there isn't the same need to push down price per TB.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I remember trying to use a 600MB hard drive as a daily driver. I was constantly uninstalling apps just to install others :fool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/skylake-we-have-lift-off.4069430/post-14284913

I swapped out my small nvme drive fro a 1TB one back in 2020 and have been very happy with it. Blisteringly fast and I can boot up me Arch in

Put brain in gear befor pressing enter19:38:30-->Fri Dec 18-->~
-->systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 1.024s (kernel) + 900ms (userspace) = 1.924s
graphical.target reached after 758ms in userspace

which I think is pretty fast enough for me.

My old Skylake mobo Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7 is only PCIE Gen 3 an I could have got a faster Gen3 drive but they were much more expensive and I did not think that they were worth the loot.
Glad I did not buy a more expensive drive as tech has moved swiftly on and we now have PCIE Gen4 which is twice as fast as Gen3.

What is the difference between PCIe Gen 3 and PCIe Gen 4?

You can now buy for example a Gen4 drive for £20 less than my Gen3 drive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Pl...8WL46RS/ref=psdc_430505031_t3_B07K1J3C23?th=1

An will be twice as fast. :drool:

As I am getting older I am thinking of going back to hdd drives as the poor old grey cell is having difficulty keeping up these days. I used to make a coffe whilst the pc was booting way back, now I don't even have time to blink. :fool:

Ask a Question